Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » If you're so keen on the Metric System...

Author Topic: If you're so keen on the Metric System...
Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...then why don't you use metric time?

There was such a thing. It was invented by the same wonderful folks who brought us the guillotine and the meter.

Here's a basic primer on the subject:

http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a1_125.html

If you want to learn more about metric time (I've heard that somebody's trying to revive the concept) you'll have to look it up yourself. If you find anything interesting, post it (or links) here.

--Baloo

------------------
If God Himself walks up to you and tells you to found a new religeon, ask for some I.D.
You're probably talking to an imposter.
www.geocities.com/Area51/Shire/8641/

[This message was edited by Baloo on May 09, 1999.]

Simon
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The reason there will never be metric time is the price. There were only so many rulers and road signs to be replaced when distance was altered, but think how many clocks, watches, sundials and other things are out there. I love the metric system, but metric time is not worth the effort.
IP: Logged
Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I fully agree. Others do not, however.

I present the following evidence:

http://www.universal-time.org/.

--Baloo

PS: It would resolve the problem of who's time zone should the forum be synched to, since it would be equally inconvenient for everyone to use.

------------------
If God Himself walks up to you and tells you to found a new religeon, ask for some I.D.
You're probably talking to an imposter.
www.geocities.com/Area51/Shire/8641/

[This message was edited by Baloo on May 09, 1999.]

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps