Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Seeya Saddam! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Seeya Saddam!
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So...somehow I missed the big moment.
This happens whenever I take a few days off from the despair of world events to try and get into the holiday spirit.

Of course, this leaves no room for justice or an ongoing trial over the thousands murdered under his reign- the Kurd's suffering will probably get swept out of the public's eye in particular.

quote:
Another guard spoke about anger and sadness in Sunni parts of Baghdad where Hussein, who was Sunni, was mourned. He said mock funerals were held in the staunchly Sunni Arab district of Ameriyah with people parading an empty coffin draped with an Iraqi flag. Black funeral banners were put up on the walls calling Saddam a "hero and a martyr," he said.
Seems some people still refuse to see reality...

Un-fucking-real, still...I'm suprised it happened so quickly after he was captured.
If he's gone before the World Court, it'd be years more before a trial would even start.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yup, I'm kind of suprised no one commented on this before. So, is the world a better place yet?

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What ever happened to Osama bin Laden, I guess he was just the flavor of the week.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Who is that anyway? I seem to recall something...
Wasn't he Saddam's vice-president or something?

A small fry- probably not worth capturing, surely.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amazing. Along with all the other fuck-ups in this war, they managed to get rid of Sasddam Hussein in a way that left people feeling sorry for him!

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What amazed me is that he was executed within hours of the US turning him over to the Iraqis. No waiting on death row for a decade for him!
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
quote:
He said mock funerals were held in the staunchly Sunni Arab district of Ameriyah...

Ameriyah... sounds like America.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

quote:
Originally posted by B.J.:
What amazed me is that he was executed within hours of the US turning him over to the Iraqis. No waiting on death row for a decade for him!

There was some real friction when the US did not turn him over to (whoever was in power that week) when Saddam was first captured.
Iraq was afraid the US would take him back to stand trail/sentence in the states and the US was afraid the locals would either free him or tear him apart.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

HopefulNebula
Member # 1933

- posted      Profile for HopefulNebula     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AndrewR:
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
quote:
He said mock funerals were held in the staunchly Sunni Arab district of Ameriyah...

Ameriyah... sounds like America.
I read it as Aaliyah at first and went "They named a what after who?"

--------------------
"Don't fight forces; use them."
--R. Buckminster Fuller

http://hopefulnebula.dreamwidth.org/

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As much as I agree that Saddam has done a lot of harm in his crimes, for some reason, the trials, sentencing, and execution have left a bad taste in my mouth.

I've had this discussion about this with several of my co-workers, despite the fact that they are glad that Saddam is gone and deserves to be punished for his crims, the consensus is that the whole process was flawed, giving the impression that the Iraqi court was being pressured by the US to push for conviction and execution. Some say that he did not get a fair trial that benefits most people in the North America. The whole process was nothing more than a circus to give them impression that "something is being done" when in fact, nothing has really been accomplished.

The fact that Saddam's execution was recorded on a cellphone didn't help matters either.

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

The Ginger Beacon
Member # 1585

- posted      Profile for The Ginger Beacon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did you see Bush's whinge about the execution? I'll summerise:

"I wanted to kill him! And we'd have done a better job, and done it more humanley, and filmed it on our videophones, which have better resolution and sound capture. It's not fair."

But seriously, when people are feeling sorry for Saddam, somethings gone wrong. Was the execution rushed? Yes. Should it have been halted and postponed after it was realised that there were gloaters with cameraphones (why weren't they searched, as if we can't guess)? Yes.

All in all it seems a bit of a bungle, which is going to have zero effect on the terrorism and sectarianism. The only real answer is for the US government not stick their oar in where it is not wanted or needed (i.e. the Middle East as a whole). Rant over. I'm going to have some frosties.

--------------------
I have plenty of experience in biology. I bought a Tamagotchi in 1998... And... it's still alive.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If someone didn't record it on a camera phone - then it would have just created another 'urban legend' that he was still alive somewhere.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Johnny
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Johnny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I actually agreed with Bush for the first time ever. His comments about the execution being undignified, but stressing that Saddam lorded over far worse deaths was a balanced assessment.

I don't agree with the death penalty, though in this case I can see how something good could have come out of Saddam's death, and if anyone deserved it he did. It's amazing that they managed to fuck it up so much though. It should have helped wipe the slate clean, but instead it's made things worse.

The camera phone vid wouldn't have been so much of a problem if the sound was cut out like in the official one. It's the taunts and berating as he's about to die that make it so bad.

--------------------
deviantArt page | Online portfolio

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

quote:
Originally posted by AndrewR:
If someone didn't record it on a camera phone - then it would have just created another 'urban legend' that he was still alive somewhere.

"THEY SAVED SADDAM'S BRAIN!!!"
the 'ol "brain in a jar" gag, but Saddam's would be in a Skud missile.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

HopefulNebula
Member # 1933

- posted      Profile for HopefulNebula     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nononono. Jar on my desk. *evil grin*

--------------------
"Don't fight forces; use them."
--R. Buckminster Fuller

http://hopefulnebula.dreamwidth.org/

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps