Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Death of SFCR and other UBB sites

Author Topic: Death of SFCR and other UBB sites
Brown_supahero
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Brown_supahero     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was surfing through the net one day and found a list of UBB sites. Clicking on the links I found a site called SFCR where recently It had turned into a ghost town. While looking at the old posts, to much of my suprise, I found that many of you who use solarflare, onced used SFCR. Knowing this I wish to ask a few questions.

What happened to SFCR which made all of you Migrate to here?

If all of you are here, why is SFCR still operating?

What happened to the moderators that are left behind (I see at least 2)?

Is there a big exodus at the end of the year, where all of you go to another fourm?

Should I be prepared to move to another fourm in the upcomming months?

With all the other fourms such as TNO, Scifi-Art, which fourm is the best fourm to stay up to date on all Star Trek Starship News (I hope it's solarflare)?

Is Solarflare, TNO, SFCR and Scifi-art interconnected in any way?

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't let the migration confuse you.

IRL, we're all geese, and were compelled by biological urges too strong to resist to move along.

(For the really true answer to your question, you'll have to wait for someone who's got their facts straighter than I do.)

--Baloo

------------------
It's good to stir the coals once in a while, if only to see if there's any fire left.
www.geocities.com/Area51/Shire/8641/

Charles Capps
We appreciate your concern.
It is noted and stupid.
Member # 9

- posted      Profile for Charles Capps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In short:
Back when the server the Behaviour Group (therefore the old Forums) was on was hacked, I acted quick and struck a simple deal with Jason Ellis of hostingsolutions.net - if I ran that site and provided the UBB, he'd host it free. What a deal, eh?

Alas, the administration and I didn't get along, and when I announced my INTENTION to make changes (meaning that they would happen or I would pick up and leave), they returned with legal threats spewing words such as copyright, contract, and UBB license. So I picked up and left, and took everyone with me.

The SFCR is NOT still operating, go to their frontpage...

Which mods?

In the mean time, when the SFCR was abandoned, we went over to TNO for a while... Then came here when I opened the place up.
We are NOT allied in any way with SciFi-Art.
The best place to stay up to date? Tough one, we barely qualify, unfortunately. I keep an eye on the TrekWeb Board and the TrekBBS, both of which seem to get many more, er, on-topic posts than we do. *L* I'm working on remedying that situation.

Don't expect to "migrate" anywhere soon.

------------------
"Okay, so I'm not "SANE" so to speak, but uh... I'm the lovable kind of psycho"
http://solareclipse.net/

[This message was edited by Charles Capps on May 27, 1999.]

Warped1701
Back from Vacation
Member # 40

- posted      Profile for Warped1701     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The frontpage may not be up, but if you have the right URL, you can still access what's left of the site.

And even after all these months, what remains of the SFCR is still on fire. Guess I didn't need to save all those threads after all...

------------------
"Angels and Ministers of Grace, defend us"
-Hamlet, Act I, Scene IV

Jedi Weyoun
Member # 110

- posted      Profile for Jedi Weyoun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*looks in, half asleep*

I'm a goose? Since when? I thought i was a Jedi...and I've got the lightsaber and cool wardrobe to prove it....*dozes off*

------------------
Clones are People Two

"The Force is like duct tape: it has a dark side and a light side, and it holds the universe together"
([[[[[[*]}�������������������������

Cargile
Nobody Special
Member # 45

- posted      Profile for Cargile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We are like gypsies. Sopmetimes we have to pack up and move. But we stick toegther.
Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But hopefully, this spot will be permanent.

------------------
I can resist anything.......
Except Temptation

Orion Syndicate
He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy!
Member # 25

- posted      Profile for Orion Syndicate     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We live in hope

------------------
The public has spoken. Common sense has prevailed. We have been returned what was wrongly taken away from us. All hail COCO POPS!!

The Excalibur
Member # 34

- posted      Profile for The Excalibur     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice to see you again Brown.

We have had a problem or two here and there, but the most endearing thing about this lot, is that they stick together. Within 48 hours of Mr.Ellis's threats, SFCR was a burning memory. Whoever started the fire was repromanded, we don't go in for that sort of thing. TNO is still open and some of us still go there often.
The best place on the web for ST news, for me, remains The Great Link.

------------------
WHERE NO MAN HAS GONE BEFORE

Montgomery
Reigning Supreme
Member # 23

- posted      Profile for Montgomery     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This always happens. I go off the board for a week or something, and when I get back all i find is a huge spatial tear where a forum once was, and a gaggle of warp trails which I follow.

God forbid it should ever happen again.

------------------
"She turned me into a NEWT!..........
.....Well, I got better..."

- Monty Python & The Holy Grail

monkeyboy
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes I went away for the first vacation in years and the site disappeared in January. I forgot waht happened, something about upgrades.

Only way to solve this is for everyone that leaves for a time from saying those dreaded words.
"I am going away for a while. Please no fights or anything catasphroic happen while I am gone".

People, promise me that no one will ever say those words when they leave for vacation. Something always happes when they say that.

------------------
I did'nt do it.

[This message was edited by monkeyboy on June 02, 1999.]

IP: Logged
USS Vanguard
i hate clowns
Member # 130

- posted      Profile for USS Vanguard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Everytime the forums change it always seems as if I'm the last to know. I spent several weeks on the ghost town that is TNO wondering why no one had anything to say. Before that I didn't even know that SFCR was set up. I finally found where everyone was only a few weeks before the "bad things" happened. Perhaps I should start reading the announcements more.
Ahem, anyhow, we're all a happy family again... for now, knock on wood.

------------------
"This should provide adequate sustenance for the Doctor Who marathon"
-Fat Sarcastic Comic Book Guy

[This message was edited by USS Vanguard on June 06, 1999.]

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps