Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » More bandwidth please...

Author Topic: More bandwidth please...
Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just put a wav file on my site and embedded the commands to run it automatically when someone visits.

Problem: The front page of AQIT is more a menu than an attraction in itself, and the time between arrival and selection of one part or another of the site to view is invariably less than the time for the music to start.

Here's the file: http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Shire/8641

Any suggestions?

------------------
American Society of Newspaper Editors motto:
"Proudly Maintaining the (Continued on Page A-4)".
www.geocities.com/Area51/Shire/8641/

Charles Capps
We appreciate your concern.
It is noted and stupid.
Member # 9

- posted      Profile for Charles Capps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Removing it would be wise. I tend to immediately close my browser window out of habit when I hit a site with background music. (Traumatic experiences with Netscape 4.0x...)

------------------
"Okay, so I'm not "SANE" so to speak, but uh... I'm the lovable kind of psycho"
http://solareclipse.net/

Jubilee
...complete with cherries!
Member # 99

- posted      Profile for Jubilee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't use an embed command. Put it in so that the sound appears with a control box, and give people the option of playing it again if they want to hear it....

either that, or stick more things on the main page to make load time slower, so that the music has time to load.... (though I wouldn't suggest that, as front pages are SUPPOSED to run faster).

Failing that, you could just stick it up as a link and put a little message that says "Listen to [insert song here]" and have people click it to hear... this will give them that little java pop up box for wav files.... then they can play it as long as they want, wherever they go on your page. (I think).

Hope some of that helps....

------------------
If I follow you home, will you keep me?

RW
Member # 27

- posted      Profile for RW     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Sounds on web pages!! AAGH! *cylon voice* DESTROY!!

My opinion only, mind you. Americans, don't sue me. Brits, don't nailbomb me. Germans, don't..no, that would be too stereotypical a remark *another wiseass grin*

monkeyboy
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess it is a bad time to ask how u insert midi music on a site that I am making is'nt it??
Oh btw, in anyones opinion, Tripod or Geocities not counting the annoying geocities popup ads and logo, just ease of use.

------------------
I did'nt do it.

IP: Logged
Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Geocities and Tripod are both fairly easy to use.

Geocities is more tolerant of unchanging sites, but Tripod doesn't expect you to put an annoying ad on each and every one of your pages. They also don't have that annoying "brand" thing.

------------------
"He's dead, Jim."
"You find his car keys, I'll get his wallet!"
www.geocities.com/Area51/Shire/8641/

Coddman
()PAK CHOOIE UNF()
Member # 10

- posted      Profile for Coddman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bah! MORE GeoCities whining.....:-P

------------------
listen.to/prophecies/
"Where were you on July 14th?"

monkeyboy
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank u for the input. btw, can anyone tell me how to put a midi on my homepage?

------------------
I did'nt do it.

IP: Logged

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps