Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Speaking of the EEC... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Speaking of the EEC...
Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I found this in, of all places, a military humor website. Is the EEC really trying to standardize English?

The European Economic Community's
Version of the English Language!

Having chosen English as the preferred language in the EEC, the European Parliament has commissioned a feasibility study in ways of improving efficiency in communications between Government departments. European officials have often pointed out that English spelling is unnecessarily difficult; for example: cough, plough, rough, through and thorough.

What is clearly needed is a phased programme of changes to iron out these anomalies. The programme would, of course, be administered by a committee staff at top level by participating nations. In the first year, for example, the committee would suggest using 's' instead of the soft 'c'. Sertainly, sivil servants in all sities would resieve this news with joy.

Then the hard 'c' could be replaced by 'k' sinse both letters are pronounsed alike. Not only would this klear up konfusion in the minds of klerikal workers, but typewriters kould be made with one less letter. There would be growing enthousiasm when in the sekond year, it was anounsed that the troublesome 'ph' would henseforth be written 'f'. This would make words like 'fotograf' twenty persent shorter in print.

In the third year, publik akseptanse of the new spelling kan be expekted to reash the stage where more komplikated shanges are possible. Governments would enkourage the removal of double letters which have always been a deterent to akurate speling. We would al agre that the horible mes of silent 'e's in the languag is disgrasful. Therefor we kould drop thes and kontinu to read and writ as though nothing had hapend.

By this tim it would be four years sins the skem began and peopl would be reseptive to steps sutsh as replasing 'th' by 'z'. Perhaps zen ze funktion of 'w' kould be taken on by 'v', vitsh is, after al, half a 'w'. Shortly after zis, ze unesesary 'o' kould be dropd from vords kontaining 'ou'. Similar arguments vud of kors be aplid to ozer kombinations of leters. Kontinuing zis proses yer after yer, ve vud eventuli hav a reli sensibl riten styl.

After tventi yers zer vud be no mor trubls, difikultis and evrivun vud fin it ezi tu understand ech ozer. Ze drems of the Guvermnt vud finali hav kum tru.

--Bolu

------------------
American Society of Newspaper Editors motto:
"Proudly Maintaining the (Continued on Page A-4)".
www.geocities.com/Area51/Shire/8641/

[This message was edited by Baloo on June 10, 1999.]

bryce
Anointed Class of 2003
Member # 42

- posted      Profile for bryce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The end looks kinda German.

------------------
"Everything I needed to learn in life I learned from Optimus Prime."

Rule #2 : No matter how evil your enemy is always show him mercy when he attempts to surrender.

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In a cheezy Hollywood-style movie about WW II, that would be the accent of the thin German officer with a scar and no sense of humor. The accent used by the comical, fat German NCO is quite different.

At least it is on American television.

--Baloo

------------------

Jedi Weyoun
Member # 110

- posted      Profile for Jedi Weyoun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*LOL* exactly what i was thinking. it kind of went from gibberish to a 'freudian' thing, to stereotypical nazi-germany *L* i was laughing so hard i almost couldn't breathe...sad as that is. *L*

------------------
Clones are People Two

"The Force is like duct tape: it has a dark side and a light side, and it holds the universe together"
([[[[[[*]}�������������������������

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*L*

That little bit has been kicking around since before the wired era.

Besides, the term EEC hasn't been used since 1986, I think. It was then the EC and was then the EU in 1992.

------------------
"A Star Wars picture that preaches against greed is a little like Bill Clinton in the pulpit for a chastity-begins-at-home campaign."

-Rex Murphy on Star Wars Episode 1: The Phantom Menace

Montgomery
Reigning Supreme
Member # 23

- posted      Profile for Montgomery     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
EU! EU!
Learn this name well puny Americans! For soon we shall dominate the world! And then we'll see how long you can keep calling an elusified high-fat offultube a sausage!

------------------
"I fart in your general direction. Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelt of elderberries!"

- Monty Python & The Holy Grail

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mark Twain wrote this well over a hundred years ago. Well, not the European angle, but the rest.

------------------
"Gone savage for teenagers with automatic weapons and boundless love."
--
Soul Coughing

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

EU? Just how should we pronounce that?

"EEeewww!"

------------------

Orion Syndicate
He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy!
Member # 25

- posted      Profile for Orion Syndicate     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, just say the future masters - that'll be accurate.

The Germans seem to have this need to control the EU, but they will not succeed. Straight bananas, and size restrictions on fish caught? Yeah right.

I'll just point out that it's not just the Germans who propose these things, but they are usually the leaders of the barmy armies.

------------------
The public has spoken. Common sense has prevailed. We have been returned what was wrongly taken away from us. All hail COCO POPS!!

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

From the sound of things, "distant future masters" is more accurate.

Hope you get everything sorted out before the next millenium!

--Baloo

------------------

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Straight bananas? Oh, I have to see this...

------------------
"Gone savage for teenagers with automatic weapons and boundless love."
--
Soul Coughing

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

I'm certain the Germans are tired of getting all those "defective" curved bananas and want to see what they look like before the Central American Banana Factory puts that bend in 'em.

------------------

JC2astro
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds like George Orwell's Newspeak to me.

------------------
-----
Please excuse the bad spelling.

IP: Logged
Xentrick
good to go
Member # 64

- posted      Profile for Xentrick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
After that, it's time to fill-in all those defective donuts. They're full of holes!

About 15 years ago I saw a magazine article about an educator somewhere in the US who was campaigning to convert (American) English to phonetic spelling. He had devised a new alphabet of about 30 symbols. Many were as we know and love them, but there were also all new characters for CH, TH, SH, etc.

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

The last serious attempt to do so (that I can recall) was the Unifon alphabet.

[Looks for Unifon website(s)...]

http://locke.ccil.org/~cowan/csur/unifon.html

[img]http://locke.ccil.org/~cowan/csur/unifon.gif[/url]

Of more interest is Mark Twain's take on the simplification of the English Language:

http://www.ae.utexas.edu/~london/humor/markTwain-spelling.html

--Baloo

------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps