Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Geocities

Author Topic: Geocities
Jamaharon
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay. I'm trying to access my website (the one in my signature). I kept getting a DNS error. So, I went to the BourbonStreet>Canal homestead. Canal is down. BourbonStreet isn't.

How does Geocities plan to maintain such a large community if it can't even keep its directories running?

It really ticks me off. And great, the've merged with Yahoo. That means more advertisments!

------------------
http://www.geocities.com/BourbonStreet/Canal/6569
"You're young," said Athos. "Your bitter memories still have time to turn into sweet ones."

IP: Logged
Sunspot
Wasting Away
Member # 77

- posted      Profile for Sunspot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't get why GeoCities sees the need to have the GeoBrand, the Spam-Window, and the GeoGuide on every page...They are one of, if not THE, most popular website hosts.

THat's why I like XOOM.

------------------
"You were right about the negotiations...they were short."
Obi-Wan Kenobi to QuiGon Jinn, The Phantom Menace

Coddman
()PAK CHOOIE UNF()
Member # 10

- posted      Profile for Coddman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BAH! BAH! GeoCities whiners.....*LOL*

Sure, Geocities may have the Watermark (It's not a "GeoBrand"! Yegads.), a popup window, and a GeoGuide on every page.......but what do you expect??

Geocities maintains one of the largest collections of homepages on the internet. These homepages are offered free to anyone who wants them. Now, take a moment and think about that. Do you realize how many gigabytes of information are on the Geocities servers? Or how many computers are required to host all this stuff? Or what about the Geocities staff. They need to get Paid. You may be wondering where Geocities gets it's money from? Well, I'll tell you:

90% (Free homepages) - SPAM WINDOWS
10% (GeoPlus homepages) - USERS THEMSELVES

If more people like me would just effing PAY the $4.99/month for 25MB of SPAM-FREE, WATERMARK FREE, AND GEOGUIDE FREE webspace, a custom URL like mine (http://www.geocities.com/~codd/), and a whole bunch of other stuff......there would be less need for SPAM. Tink aboot it.

------------------
listen.to/prophecies/
"Where were you on July 14th?"

[This message was edited by Coddman on June 18, 1999.]

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Only $4.99 a month? I pay �10 at demon for my homepage, e-mail and other member services. But I need more server room, and I hear Geocites aren't particulary keen on you using their server space but keepin gyour homepage somewhere else. Still, �4.99 a month, that's only about �3. It might be worth it. I need more rrom for more comic scans.

www.liamnet.demon.co.uk

I like my homepage addy too.

------------------
"In my defence that bush is actually quite big"
-M the F

Deep6
Ex-Member

Or you could just go on over to Network Solutions and pay $119 for your very own domain name...

------------------
"So where are the nuggets on a chicken anyway?"

Deep6
Ex-Member

Xoom has unlimited web space for free??!!! Whats the catch?....SPAM from hell right?

------------------

Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fortune city is not bad... 20 megs free, and all you get is one banner on each page...no stupid popup windows or crap...
its much easier, less hassle...and more space!

------------------
"We are all a product of the environment we live in.... the rest, good or bad, may be free will." Charles C. Bohnam

Cargile
Nobody Special
Member # 45

- posted      Profile for Cargile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Guys, just get three of four e-mail address and get all the free space you want.

Shagadelic loopholes baby! Use them!

------------------
"There are always bigger tits."

Qui-Gon Jinn in Mos Espa's sleaziest adult nightclub.

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the immortal words of someone, ya get what ya pay for.

------------------
That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college!
~Homer Simpson

Charles Capps
We appreciate your concern.
It is noted and stupid.
Member # 9

- posted      Profile for Charles Capps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Deep6: Yup, spam and a little banner bar thingie they put on all your pages using frames.

------------------
"Okay, so I'm not "SANE" so to speak, but uh... I'm the lovable kind of psycho"
http://solareclipse.net/

Deep6
Ex-Member

Nuts to that.

------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps