Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Wal-Mart (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Wal-Mart
The First One
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was announced today that the US retail giant Wal-Mart is buying one of the UK's biggest supermarket chains, Asda. For 6.7 billion smackeroos.

I gather, however, that Wal-Mart are not loved Stateside. Anyone wanna expand on this?

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I'm a bit pissed as Kingfisher, the group who owns Woolies were gonna merge with them. Which meant that I would have got a discount at Asda.

Oh well.

------------------
"In my defence that bush is actually quite big"
-M the F

Diane
aka Tora Ziyal
Member # 53

- posted      Profile for Diane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I heard about that a few days ago. *lol* Well, I know people who hate it, but they've got cheap stuff.

------------------
"O Notre-Dame!
Oh! Laisse-moi rien qu'une fois
Pousser la porte du jardin d'Esmeralda"
--"Belle", Notre Dame de Paris

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wal-Mart, K-Mart, Target, Sam's Wholesale Club, I shop at them all. I like the cheap stuff. I can afford it on my meager college student salary.

------------------
"Some people call me the Space Cowboy. Yeah! Some call me the Gangster of Love. Some people call me Maurice. Whoo hoo! 'Cause I speak of the Pompatus of Love!" - Steve Miller Band's The Joker

bryce
Anointed Class of 2003
Member # 42

- posted      Profile for bryce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They're cool with everyone I know. They're the only U.S. discount store to give their employees discounts too!

------------------
"Everything I needed to learn in life I learned from Optimus Prime."

Rule #3 : Whenever someone under you screws up make sure you teach them a lesson more so than you punish them.

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome to Reality, Lee. Years ago, Canada had a large department-store chain called Woolworth and Co, which goes by the more common name of Woolco. Was swallowed up by the large Walmart giant after several years of losing money. *sniff*

Now there is only Zellers........

------------------
I can resist anything.......
Except Temptation

Jubilee
...complete with cherries!
Member # 99

- posted      Profile for Jubilee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Asda.... I LOVED that store when I was over there!!! ... I still have a reciept from when I bought that bottle of wine and the chocolate orange! Their pizzas are the BEST.

Bought out by Wal-Mart .... i'm not sure that's such a good thing.. are they planning on changing the ASDA's TO Wal-Mart's, or is ASDA staying the same?

I love Wal-Mart, don't get me wrong... but I mean, ASDA is a food store..... and Wal-Mart isn't...

------------------
If I follow you home, will you keep me?

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wal-Mart censors the albums they sell, often without warning.

To be fair, though, none of the albums I want to buy are ever there anyway.

Things ARE cheap there. There's the whole "destruction of downtown" thing, but that's more of a cultural shift rather than the fault of any one business.

That having been said, I hate the place. Annoying people. But, from time to time, I do go. Partly to simply observe the shoppers.

------------------
"According to myth, the earth was created in six days. Now watch out! Here comes Genesis. We'll do it for you in six minutes."
--
Dr. Leonard H. McCoy

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Every time I enter a Wal-Mart store, I have never felt more white in my life. It like you get a lobotomy as you enter.

------------------
That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college!
~Homer Simpson

Jedi Weyoun
Member # 110

- posted      Profile for Jedi Weyoun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wal-mart's cool. I wish they had one close enough to my house I could actually get there, though. *L*

Jay: i've never had that feeling in a walmart, but try taking a class on Native American studies in the southwest....for a semester i felt like three days a week i was being told "you bad white person! look what you've done to our people!" rather discouraging.
honestly, though. racial constructs make me sick. people are people are people. and i still say i'm not responsible for things my ancestors did solely on the fact that they are my ancestors. pleh. oh well.

------------------
"Fear attracts the fearful"
([[[[[[*]}�������������������������

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
True fact, Jedi.

I always feel that someone is using spurious logic when blaming me for the facr that my parents could breed.

What? If they didn't, who would you blame?

------------------
American Society of Newspaper Editors motto:
"Proudly Maintaining the (Continued on Page A-4)".
www.geocities.com/Area51/Shire/8641/

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Racial constructs are crap. And a very good point Jedi. I guess that part of my feelings come from being the sole liberal in Orange County, a place where the pin the Fascist Party pin on you the moment you move into the county.

Orange County California is a very white and very Republican county. The population consists mostly the young urbanites trying to escape the proliferation of "other colored" people in Los Angeles. There are a few pockets of ethinc folks there, but by in large, the county is dominated by Republicans trying to keep them in their place.

------------------
That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college!
~Homer Simpson

Jubilee
...complete with cherries!
Member # 99

- posted      Profile for Jubilee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I never had that problem going into a Wal-Mart.. but the Wal-Mart near me is in an urban area, so there is a mix of culture there. EVERYONE shops at Wal-Mart, 'cause it's CHEAP. (There's also a grocery store right next to it, so that makes it even MORE convenient).

The one problem I DO have on occassion in a Wal-Mart is the fear of bright yellow smiley people watching me. Can anyone identify with that? ... Wherever you go, that smiley face is watching you. You can't escape it!!!.. It's there..... it's everywhere!.. *insane laughter..*

okay, J/K... *L*

But seriously, the feeling I get when I go into a Wal-Mart is "This is a christian owned store, and I'm not Christian". I often wonder what they'd think about MY religion if I told them. I at one time almost had a job there.. I think that would have been VERY interesting. Do you know they do random drug testing and stuff there? They want thier employees to be "as pure as possible".
Now I can understand keeping a professional image and all that, but.... it's really NONE of thier damned business....

------------------
If I follow you home, will you keep me?

David Sands
Member # 132

- posted      Profile for David Sands     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First One: The general low regard you may have heard about in referance to Wal-Mart stateside is real in some areas. Probably the biggest PR disaster they tried was right here in my state of Virginia. They wanted to build a new store right near Ferry Farm, the boyhood home of George Washington. The assessment of what this store would have done was that it could have a severe negative impact on the preservation of Ferry Farm, and here in Virginia, history is almost everything. However, they backed out at the last minute and all is forgiven to the extent people shop there because they've just about run K-Mart out of existance. The above episode and the mega-success they've had due to their control over inventory and shipping has made them the store that many love to hate. Hope this clarifies.

------------------
"Warfare is the greatest affair of state, the basis of life and death, the Tao to survivial or extinction. It must be thoroughly pondered and analyzed."

"...attaining one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the pinnacle of excellence. Subjugating the enemy's army without fighting is the true pinnacle of excellence."

-Sun Tzu, The Art of War, 6th century B.C.E.

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
David Sands: Actually, I think K-Mart is no longer in existence, bought out by the Hudson's Bay Company of Canada. Or was it some other department store chain? Someone please confirm.........

------------------
I can resist anything.......
Except Temptation

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps