Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Explain this, please...

Author Topic: Explain this, please...
Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Something recently occured that burns me up. Pat Buchanan was on a TV show being interviewed in a completely unfair manner (you know the kind: "Why don't you apologize to the American people for your anti-semetism and isolationism?" "Because it's not true. I have nothing against Jews, nor do I have isolationist policies." "But we're giving you a chance right now. Why don't you apologize?"). Mind you, I don't agree with some of Pat's ideas, but they started ripping him because of his religious views. Specifically, that the country was built on Christian values. He was then asked if he was a Christian. He then stated that he believed that Jesus Christ was the son of God. He also said that he believed that Christianity was the only true religion and that he wished that everyone would come to it. They then proceeded to take this as evidence that he hated Jews and wanted to make everyone worship God his way. Can anyone explain why you can do this to Christianity, but not to any other religion? It seems like being in the majority, no matter what that majority may be, is automatically wrong. What's happened to this country, anyway?

------------------
Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons; for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You haven't given any details regarding the interview, so I can't answer your question. But Buchanan IS an isolationist and a racist. Look at the company he keeps. Read the books he has written. Etc.

As for the Christian thing, I'd tend to argue that other religions are seldom mentioned because they simply don't carry the same weight in America. How many Muslims have you ever met, for instance, compared to Christians? And so on.

------------------
"Stirs a large iron pot. Casting a spell on Vermont."
--
John Linnell

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes. I knew my friend for five years before I discovered he was Jewish. There is a tendency for politicians to polish up their "I'm a Christian, too" badge and proudly display it whenever they think it will boost their likelyhood of getting votes. That's not what being a Christian is about and just about everyone knows it. It gives the appearance of incincerity and makes people of other religions wonder if that candidate will ensure there is only justice for his sort of people (meaning: not them).

--Baloo

------------------
If this is the future, then where are all the flying cars?
www.geocities.com/Area51/Shire/8641/

Montgomery
Reigning Supreme
Member # 23

- posted      Profile for Montgomery     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*enters*

Whoah! American Politics!

*turns around and leaves*

------------------
"NO! NO! Kill you all!
Die! MAKE YOU SUFFER!!!"

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I might also suggest that the general perception of Christians by non-Christians is strongly colored by the view that we are ignorant, smug, self-righteous and only fooling ourselves.

The following website shows exactly the sort of person many non-Christians believe Christians are:

http://www.landoverbaptist.org/

If the above site were done be Christians, I would hope it was a clever rebuke of the foolish (and oft times asinine) behavior displayed in the name of Christ. I'm not ashamed of Christ, but I sure am ashamed of many of the things done in his name.

--Baloo

[Post-edit P.S.: The Landover Baptist Church is a satire. If you look carefully you can find the disclaimers.]

------------------
If this is the future, then where are all the flying cars?
www.geocities.com/Area51/Shire/8641/

[This message has been edited by Baloo (edited October 31, 1999).]

[This message has been edited by Baloo (edited October 31, 1999).]

Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Curry Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well all I can say to Pat is that he comes across as an arrogant prick. I'm an atheist, but the nerve he has to suggest that there is only one true religion shows how parochial the guy is in his core beliefs.

------------------
"Diplomacy is the art of Internationalising an issue to your advantage"

Field Marshal Military Project
http://fieldmarshal.virtualave.net

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's not just the view, though. Very often, its the experience.

I've done a lot of personal surveying, and I've pretty much decided that the Christian Community can be divided into Good, Bad, and Sheepish. ( Before anyone gets really upset, let me add that I've found that this division applies to pretty much EVERY social tapestry out there, including trekkies.)

You got quite a number of good ones. People who follow the spirit of JC's teachings, (although not always the letter), are non-judgemental, who believe that if you can't say something good you should at least be patient. They're calm, nice, genuinely helpful folks. My grandmother was one, and I've known a number of others. I wish I could say I've known only them.

However, you've got an awful lot of "Bad" ones. And you can't always recognize them, because they have a "Goodness Cloak" a lot of the time. Televangelists, the guy who runs the "godhatesfags" site, people who would rather bomb their opponents than talk to them, white supremacist "christians" campaigning for a "pure white christian America", and so forth, down to the petty politicking and backstabbing that goes on in a surprisingly large amount of local churches. They're loud, visible, and often charismatic. They seem to be drawn to politics like a moth to flame.

Then there's the sheepish. They do what they're told. They don't ask questions, they don't want to "rock the boat," they like the status quo because it's smiling on them. These are the folks who sit on the sidelines and watch the Inquisition and the book burnings and mutter "isn't that awful," ... but they keep sitting. Very often they end up in thrall to the bad ones, simply because the bad ones have loads of charisma.

These last two are the ones I have the problem with.

------------------
'In every country and in every age the priest has been hostile to Liberty; he is always in allegiance to the despot, abetting his abuses in return for protection of his own." ---- Thomas Jefferson

Feste
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*sees Monty's bushy tail disappearing around corner*

Pat Buchanan is to Christianity what fur balls are to cats. His sister's a lovely piece of work, too. However, since this election promises to be even more diabolically dull than usual, it should be fun to watch him mix it up with the assorted nut jobs and cranks in the Independent Party.

IP: Logged

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps