Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Damn Marvel Comics!

Author Topic: Damn Marvel Comics!
First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They've cancelled two comics with great potential, before they've even had time enough to sell three issues.

(I should probably supply some background so people understand why I'm annoyed.)

Marvel Comics, home of SpiderMan, the Hulk, Thor, the FF, etc, about a year and a half ago started a new "line" of comics, MC2. This was set 15 years in the future (a possible future) of current Marvel continuity. Well-known characters had died, retired, disappeared, or what-have-you, and the "Next Generation" of heroes was just coming into its own.

It all started with an issue of "What if?" with a future May Parker, daughter of Peter Parker and Mary Jane Watson, becoming the new "Spider-Girl." This issue was so popular it spawned the MC2 line practically by itself.

So, Marvel created the MC2 universe, and populated it with 3 books: Spider Girl, J2 (son of Juggernaut), and A-Next (the new Avengers).

They cancelled J2 and A-Next after 12-issue runs. A full issue of stories, and they promised to keep the characters around in the two NEW comics they were coming out with, based on fan polls for what comics the fans most wanted to see: The Fantastic Five, and Wild Thing (daughter of Electra and Wolverine [who is perhaps the coolest character ever]), as well as Spider-Girl.

But now they're kaput. After FIVE STINKIN' ISSUES, THREE of which haven't even HIT THE STORES YET!!!

This eerily echoes what happened with Marvel's LAST experimental line, Marvel 2099. Which, at the time was ALSO my favorite Marvel line, and got me buying comics again in the FIRST place. It managed to last a LITTLE longer, but dwindled from 6 to 3 to 1 to 0 titles in little over a year and a half.

GRR.

What's that, you say? He's too old to be buying comic books, you say?

BALDERDASH!

------------------
'In every country and in every age the priest has been hostile to Liberty; he is always in allegiance to the despot, abetting his abuses in return for protection of his own." ---- Thomas Jefferson

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*shrug*

So long as there's a sequel to Inhumans, I'll be happy.

------------------
"Stirs a large iron pot. Casting a spell on Vermont."
--
John Linnell

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I sympathize with you, 1st of 2. I used to collect comics and was very upset when a promising new title was given short shrift as you have described.

Curse you, Stan Lee!

------------------
Welcome to the museum of really dangerous things.
Feel free to pick up and handle any of the displays.
www.geocities.com/Area51/Shire/8641/

Montgomery
Reigning Supreme
Member # 23

- posted      Profile for Montgomery     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*still hasn't forgiven Marvel for the fate of TRANSFORMERS*

Bah.

------------------
"NO! NO! Kill you all!
Die! MAKE YOU SUFFER!!!"

Epoch
Geology Rocks
Member # 136

- posted      Profile for Epoch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am also disappointed about how good new comics are cancelled just after the starting gate. It is extremely annoying. I'm also upset about what happend to the transformers.

------------------
Death before Dishonor!
However Dishonor has
quite a disputed defintion.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yup. About that Transformers thing. But for a more up to date annoyance, I'll pick...when Marvel 'removed' Peter David from the Hulk, and then reset almost everything he'd done, AND did the extrememly annoying thing of resetting the issue numbers (Hulk I believe was the comic that had managed to get to the highest number, around 475, after Thor. I think).

------------------
Cordellia: "Well, does looking at guns make you wanna have sex?"
Xander: "I'm seventeen. Looking at linoleum makes me wanna have sex."

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Though it should be noted that Hulk is slated to be written by the very talented (and British) Paul Jenkins, starting with #12. I have high hopes.

------------------
--
John Linnell

bryce
Anointed Class of 2003
Member # 42

- posted      Profile for bryce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
NOBODY CURSES STAN LEE AND GETS AWAY WITH IT!!!!

------------------
With 17 hours of class, guess what I'm doing.

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, yeah? Waddaya gonna do aboudit?

------------------
"My ambition is to be a good ancestor."
-- Herbert Zipper
www.geocities.com/Area51/Shire/8641/

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*pops 10" adamantium claws*

Yeah, BUB. I cuss out who I want, when I want.

(which reminds me, I never have forgiven Marvel for taking away Wolvie's adamantium and giving him stupid bone claws.)

This means the only remaining Marvel comics I read are Generation X, Mutant X, and Spider-Girl. (sigh)

------------------
'In every country and in every age the priest has been hostile to Liberty; he is always in allegiance to the despot, abetting his abuses in return for protection of his own." ---- Thomas Jefferson

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

Bah! Pick up Inhumans and Earth X immediately!

Uh...so says me.

(Actually, it's rather late for both of them, unless you can find the back issues.)

------------------
--
John Linnell

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

Well, I didn't count Earth X because it's not really a continuing series. I DO get it, however, and it rocks.

------------------

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

Good.

Now Inhumans!

------------------
"If you are going to be my girlfriend please don't dump me after I like you."
--
Michael

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps