Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » God Loves Fags...? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: God Loves Fags...?
Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kosh: Do you have proof? I mean that your current state is better than being a newt?

[Runs away very swiftly.]

------------------
Welcome to the museum of really dangerous things.
Feel free to pick up and handle any of the displays.
www.geocities.com/Area51/Shire/8641/

LOA
Migraine Mistress
Member # 49

- posted      Profile for LOA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Umm... Daryus.... You DID just quote fiction, but you get after everyone else for quoting what you believe to be fiction? *smile* That amuses me...

On the homosexuality thing: I believe myself to be VERY Christian. I won't deny it, but I generally try not to bring it up because of the stigma it seems to have around here, and the fact that I'm just not wanting to fight about it.

HOWEVER, I'm bringing it up now... and why? Because. It seems like Christians are being generalized once again as closed-minded hypocrites, and I just want to say that WE'RE NOT ALL LIKE THAT!

I have a ton of friends that partake in various homosexual/bisexual activities. And you know what? I don't care. It's their life and I am NOT one to EVER condemn them for being who they are. I may choose not to get involved n homosexuality, but that's because it's not who *I* am...

For those people that condemn homosexuality because it's such a "sin", I just want to point out that we're ALL sinners, and as long as we live on this Earth, nothing can change that, whether we want to believe it or not....

One of the most Christian friends that I have IS homosexual and has been in a monogamous reltionship with another man for several years now. The two of them are wonderful together, and they're happy, and there is NO doubt in my mind that each of them will get into heaven if they were to die today.

I know a lot of Christians don't share that belief with me, but that's their own belief system in effect.

*looks for words* I don't know what I was trying to say in this message, and I don't know what I'm trying to say now. All I know is that homosexuality is a part of the world we live in today, just like heterosexuality is, and we need to just come to terms with it. No matter WHAT your POV on it is, you need to be accepting of others, even if you don't AGREE with it. We're never going to come to agreement on this issue, that's clear. But what this world needs isn't total agreement nearly as much as total acceptance of the fact that we're NOT all the same and we're not always going to do the same things or act in the same way.

What can i say? I'm a lover, not a fighter....

I just wish everyone else was, too....

~LOA

------------------
"...my body is weak and I can't take the struggle anymore...
the love that was here is filled up by anger and rage..." ~FOM

Jubilee
...complete with cherries!
Member # 99

- posted      Profile for Jubilee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*agrees with LOA*

------------------
"...when all that is driving my heart forward
is you, thoughts of you, hopes for you,
and a fading dream with a Mona Lisa smile
that whispers "are you thinking of me too?"

16 days till the dreams become reality...

Jubilee
...complete with cherries!
Member # 99

- posted      Profile for Jubilee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[gets hyperactive with her button clicking]

------------------
"...when all that is driving my heart forward
is you, thoughts of you, hopes for you,
and a fading dream with a Mona Lisa smile
that whispers "are you thinking of me too?"

16 days till the dreams become reality...

[This message has been edited by Jubilee McGann (edited November 04, 1999).]

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes

------------------
Fool of a Took, throw yourself in next time!!
Gandalf

Epoch
Geology Rocks
Member # 136

- posted      Profile for Epoch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I must agree that not all Christians are hypocrits. But quite a few are. At the college that I'm going to an individual who is not of american decent (I'm only saying this because I don't know his ethnic background) was harassed and pretty much verbally assaulted by two Christian individuals trying to get him to convert. They said he was going to go to h*ll and that his religion was evil. I personally feel that they were way out of line. This whole lets go around and annoy people into converting is a big pain in the hind end. I'm not just talking about Christians.

------------------
Death before Dishonor!
However Dishonor has
quite a disputed defintion.

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It sounds like they should have followed the advice given here: http://hcqsa.virtualave.net/dispell.html#spirit

Shouting down the opposition is not a Godly and loving approach to dialogue. I am convinced that any "evangelists" who operate in this fashion are unsure of their faith and their "facts". They raise their voices when what they should be saying is "I don't know" or "I'll have to look that up.

To more clearly understand what I think of these "conversion" tactics, please go look at the following definition: Demagogue.

I've quoted this in my sig before: "A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still." Anyone who's survived an "evangelical ambush" comes away with, at best, a very poor opinion of Christians in general and Christianity in particular. Torquemada is dead, but his spiritual successors live. A good Christian must treat that sort of behavior with all the respect it deserves: none. A bully is a bully, and needs to be stood up to, whether he wears a leather jacket and carrys a chain or wears a cassock and totes a Bible.

--Baloo

------------------
Welcome to the museum of really dangerous things.
Feel free to pick up and handle any of the displays.

[This message has been edited by Baloo (edited November 04, 1999).]

Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Curry Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Uh in case you didn't notice I was taking a pot shot @ the dogma, not at homosexuality

LOA makes a good point, though.

------------------
"Diplomacy is the art of Internationalising an issue to your advantage"

Field Marshal Military Project
http://fieldmarshal.virtualave.net

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What Baloo said.

I've had my share of "evangelical ambushes." I've had my share, and your share, and his share. I've had a LOT.

That's why I keep my swords sharpened.

*enters Andy Rooney mode*

Y'ever notice that "evangelist" is an anagram for "Evil's Agent?" Why is that?

*end Andy Rooney mode*

------------------
'In every country and in every age the priest has been hostile to Liberty; he is always in allegiance to the despot, abetting his abuses in return for protection of his own." ---- Thomas Jefferson

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

More fuel for the fire, this time from the Christian Research Institute.

A two-parter.

HOMOSEXUALITY: Fact and Fiction (Part One in a Two-Part Series on Homosexuality)

THAT WHICH IS UNNATURAL: Homosexuality in Society, the Church, and Scripture (Part Two in a Two-Part Series on Homosexuality)

The first one presents homosexuality as a definite sin. Of course, if they are right, then they are correct to use that approach, but they provide no evidence for their case.

The second addresses some of the evidence presented in the links I have provided above (in previous posts). Their argument seems to boil down to "Nope! That's not what the original writers meant". Admittedly, the article is of limioted scope, so it's unreasonable to expect them to provide reams of evidence. On the other hand, given the large volume of gay Christian sites and the wealth of information provided there, one would think that someone would devote the time and research necessary to refute their arguments if they are, indeed spurious.

My opinion? I have no doubt they believe what they say they do, but do not find their arguments compelling.

--Baloo

------------------
Jesus saves.
Moses invests.
--Bumper Sticker

[Post-edit comments:]
I almost forgot to mention. I had to provide my name and email address to gain access to the information at that site. Let me know if the links don't work for you. I will try to smuggle the information out somehow.

[This message has been edited by Baloo (edited November 07, 1999).]

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They wanted your name and email in order to disemminate what should be free Christian information?

Spam Scam?

Now that they got yer email, will they send it to every far-rightist Fundie group out there? Will you be invited to protest at some guy who died from AIDS's funeral?

I tremble with anticipation.

------------------
'In every country and in every age the priest has been hostile to Liberty; he is always in allegiance to the despot, abetting his abuses in return for protection of his own." ---- Thomas Jefferson

Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I read the first article, and it basically describing the Gay rights movement as some powerful force with the ability to brow-beat associations into submission. Is this true? This article is obviously biased, but is there any study on gay protests and violence?

------------------
"Goverment exists to serve, not to lead. We do not exist by its volition, it exists by ours. Bear that in mind when you insult your neighbors for refusing to bow before it." - Jeffrey Richman, UB student

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

I don't know. I'd say probably not. It's hard to study violence as it relates to protest, since there are so many different forms of protest and things to be protested.

I'm sure some of the soccer hooligans would say they were just "protesting" for their team, if they could.

All I can tell you if from my own experience, and the only protests _I'VE_ been at which turned ugly had, as the main antagonists, self-appointed "moral guardians" of the community.

------------------

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

I'm not worried about them trying to propagandize me. I enjoy a good fight, as long as I believe I am fighting for what is right.

As far as 1st of 2's comments above, I believe the self-righteous pose a greater danger to society than nearly any other group.

--Baloo

------------------
Hobbes: Do you think there's a God?
Calvin: Well, somebody's out to get me."
--Bill Watterson

Diane
aka Tora Ziyal
Member # 53

- posted      Profile for Diane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ooh, good info! I wonder what my mom will say when I show this to her.

------------------
--Then, said Cranly, do you not intend to become a protestant?
--I said that I had lost the faith, Stephen answered, but not that I had lost self-respect. What kind of liberation would that be to forsake an absurdity which is logical and coherent and to embrace one which is illogical and incoherent?

James Joyce, A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps