Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Mormonism (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Mormonism
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dani, your best friend is T-A? Wow...I thought I was the only one.

------------------
"Hey Mr. Boo, fly away home. Your house is so lovely, your children so nice."
--
Hello (The Band)

Diane
aka Tora Ziyal
Member # 53

- posted      Profile for Diane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yikes! I also know a friend whose boyfriend is handsome and Mormon. She's not exactly a poor brainless girl though.

------------------
"I would be delighted to offer any advice I can on understanding women. When I have some, I'll let you know."
--Picard to Data, "In Theory"

Charles Capps
We appreciate your concern.
It is noted and stupid.
Member # 9

- posted      Profile for Charles Capps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*ahem* T-A = Terri-Ann. *LOL*

Ah yes, the Elders... I shall also refrain from comment on them.

LOA
Migraine Mistress
Member # 49

- posted      Profile for LOA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've never had a problem with Elders..... never really had a problem with my mormon friends, either... 'til now... but it's okay, 'cause I'm not bitter....

What struck me hard and got my mind reeling though is that several weeks ago I was in one of the local Christian Stores, and I realized that ALL the books on Mormonism were in the cult section... now this struck me because I thought Mormons considered themselves t obe Christian..... so then I researched, and I realized it's that was in ALL of the Christian Stores in the area... and a lot of the material at the book stores and the library is like that, too... that's what struck me, because I agree that all religion is cult-like in it's own way... I also agree that marching band is a cult *L* But still.... seeing mormonism in the Cult section along with TRUE cults just kinda hit me and made me think... even now, several weeks later, I don't KNOW what I think about that... it just seems pretty harsh... ah, well....

~LOA

------------------
The greatest single cause of athiesm in the world today are christians who acknowledge things with their lips and then walk out the door and deny them by their lifestyle.

THAT is what and unbelieving world simply finds Unbelievable.

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The real difference between a "cult" and a "religion" is how many members they have and their political power. Christianity was a "cult" to the Romans, and it's followers were often considered insane.

------------------
"When we turn our back on our principles, we stop being human." -- Janeway, "Equinox"

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*wonders where he can find that book on the Marching Band Cult at his local bookstore*

------------------
Elim Garak: "Oh, it's just Garak. Plain, simple Garak. Now, good day to you, Doctor. I'm so glad to have made such an... interesting new friend today." (DS9: "Past Prologue")

Jubilee
...complete with cherries!
Member # 99

- posted      Profile for Jubilee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know if Mormonism can be considered a cult or not. I think i'd have to do more research on them, and even then, it would all depend on personal experience I think. I know for a fact that my mother's church is a cult, though... and you won't find them in ANY bookstore.

------------------
"Elevator to hell, going up." - What Dreams May Come

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, whatever about the Mormons today, the Mormons that trekked to Utah (forever immortalized as the latter-day saints) were a cult. They were really no different than the Branch Davidians in many ways. Not as nutty, though.

And though today their numbers are so great that they kinda squeeze out of the cult section on the virtue of size alone, the Mormon church's recruitment drives are so damn intense it's rather hard to not link them to cultish behaviour. Additionally... the entire tithe thing really underlines how damn devout... almost insanely devout Mormons are.

So cult or no? I'd be inclined to make them a cult if it wasn't for the rather heavy negativity that the term cult conjures up.

------------------
"Well, I guess we're an Ovaltine family."
"MORE OVALTINE PLEASE!"
-American Radio Ads... *gag*... one more reason I'm glad to be above the 49th.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps