Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » ...And another thing...

Author Topic: ...And another thing...
Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I see many people taking the side of evolution in the "Creation v.s. Evolution" thread. There is nothing intrinsically wrong with this. I personally believe that both theories are correct, but that our understanding of one or both theories (probably creation) is imperfect.

On the other hand, I see many people defending evolution, not from the position of "here is the evidence that leads me to believe" but "Evolution's right, creation's wrong, you Dolt!" Nice, logical reasoning?

I can understand people being angry with God (should he exist) for not running things to our satisfaction. I can understand people trying to grasp contradicting theories by examining the basic assumptions of each theory. I can't understand it when people try to convince others with arguments like: "You believe that? [Laughs]".

If you don't believe someone else's "facts", you are not a dolt. You are being skeptical. Nothing wrong with that. When someone else doesn't believe your facts, they are not being a dolt, either. Try to remember that.

--Baloo

------------------
When the chips are down, the buffalo is empty.
www.geocities.com/Area51/Shire/8641/

Jaresh Inyo
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Agreed, Baloo. I was so disgusted with the debate that I didn't even get involved. First of Two has my compliments for presenting well thought out and reseached arguments. The rest of you should follow his lead.

------------------
Josh: I think they're getting to know each other a bit too well, if you catch my drift.
Me: Oh, I agree. I think they're spending too much time together, that is of course, if you catch my drift.
Asher: I think he's *ucking her, and he's cheating on his wife, and he's risking his marriage, and if his wife finds out about it she'll leave him and take their son, and his life will be ruined. If you catch my drift...

IP: Logged
Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you Baloo. I too believe that evolution and creation are one and the same, but I've had this argument soooo many times before, that I've grown tired of it, and I no longer participate, but you make very good points.

------------------
Signature
Note: The Signature feature is currently enabled by this bulletin board's administrator. You may use UBB Code in this field, but not HTML. The UBB Code Image tag is not permitted, however.

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe evolution and creation COULD be one and the same. A sort of "guided evolution" might make sense, especially if the desired result were intelligent life.

However, for evolution and creation to be reconcilable, LITERAL Biblical Creationism must be abandoned.

Of course, I personally believe taking the Bible literally opens you up to any number of laughable inconsistencies, especially when what you have to end up doing is taking bits and pieces literally, and others as the metaphors which they were obviously intended to be.

------------------
"When we turn our back on our principles, we stop being human." -- Janeway, "Equinox"

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I still challenge anyone to name ONE inconsistancy in taking the Bible literally.

------------------
HEAD KNIGHT: We are now... no longer the Knights Who Say 'Ni'.
KNIGHTS OF NI: Ni! Shh!
HEAD KNIGHT: Shh! We are now the Knights Who Say 'Ecky-ecky-ecky-ecky-pikang-zoop-boing-goodem-zoo-owli-zhiv'.
RANDOM: Ni!

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay. Jesus told some of the people listening to one of his speeches that they would still be alive when he returned. Actually, he said "There are some here today who shall not be touched by death before the Kingdom of God shall arrive with force."

If you take the Bible literally, only the following conclusions can be made:

1. Jesus was wrong.

or

2. There are some 2000-year-old Jews running around.

or

3. This IS what it's like after the second coming.

------------------
"When we turn our back on our principles, we stop being human." -- Janeway, "Equinox"

Diane
aka Tora Ziyal
Member # 53

- posted      Profile for Diane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got these from 1of2's flood link. Got the quotes from the Bible myself though.

Genesis 6:20--"Of all kinds of birds, of all kinds of beasts, and of all kinds of creeping things, two of each shall come into the ark with you..."
Genesis 7:15--"Pairs of all creatures in which there was the breath of life entered teh ark with Noah."

But Genesis 7:2-3 says there are seven pairs of clean animals and birds, and one pair of unclean animals.

Another one...

"If your style of Biblical interpretation makes you take the Flood literally, then shouldn't you also believe in a flat and stationary earth? [Dan. 4:10-11, Matt. 4:8, 1 Chron. 16:30, Psalms 93:1, ...] "

------------------
"I told you. You're dead. This is the afterlife. And I'm God."
--Q to Picard, "Tapestry".

Omega
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1of2:

You are assuming that He was refering to the Second Coming. He was refering to the day of Pentacost, when the 12 recieved the Holy Spirit. With all the Christians on Earth, I'd say that the Kingdom of God has arrived.

Ziyal:

Gen. 6:20 could easily mean that there were at least two of everything. Gen. 7:15 just says that pairs entered with him. It doesn't say that there was only a pair of every animal. Gen. 7:2 is open for interpretation, as God was somewhat ambiguous here. It's either seven and two, or seven pairs and two pairs, and the rest of the story indicates pairs.

And you might want to actually look up those verses that say the Earth is flat. They say no such thing. Two say that the Earth can not be moved, as in not being unstable. It'll be here 'til God decides to remove it. Matt. 4:8 says that Satan took Jesus to a mountaintop and showed him all the kingdoms of the world. That doesn't imply a flat Earth. Just that Satan let Jesus see either all the surrounding kingdoms, or showed him all the kingdoms of the world supernaturally. The one in Daniel was a dream Nebuchadnezzar had and was describing. They're interpreting it badly, and taking it out of context.

There's actually a verse somewhere that implies quite clearly that the Earth is round, but I can't find the scripture reference. I'll get back to you when I find it.

Any others?

------------------
HEAD KNIGHT: Shh! We are now the Knights Who Say 'Ecky-ecky-ecky-ecky-pikang-zoop-boing-goodem-zoo-owli-zhiv'.

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

What you're doing, up above there, that's INTERPRETATION on your part. (Or on the part of whoever told it to you.) If you're going to insist on taking the Bible literally, you can't EVER use the phrase 'what it meant' or 'open to interpretation' or 'not really.' If it said the big red S showed JC all the kingdoms of the world, then that's what he did. It doesn't SAY "supernaturally," so how can you justify assuming it?

Same goes for Pentacost. Did JC say "pentacost?"

BTW, with all the Muslims in the world, (which are outnumbered by the Christians ONLY when you count all Christian denominations together - and most of THEM are Catholics - and even then they're just BARELY outnumbered) I'd say it's just as likely that the Kingdom of Allah has arrived instead. (Non-sequitur, PLUS more interpretation.)
(and of course, there are over 800 million Atheist/Non-Religious types, so we're gaining on you.)
*source, World Almanac 1999*

------------------

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Islam is growing, also.

------------------
Outside of a dog, a book is a mans best friend. Inside of a dog, it's to dark to read. Groucho Marx

Omega
Member # 91

That post wasn't very clear, was it?

"If you're going to insist on taking the Bible literally, you can't EVER use the phrase 'what it meant' or 'open to interpretation' or 'not really.'"

You can if it's someone talking, especially Christ. I'm saying that I believe that whole stories and books aren't metaphor, not that single terms aren't. The Kingdom of God was established on Earth on the day of Pentacost, when the Twelve recieved the Holy Spirit, and over 3,000 people were baptized, signifying the beginning of the Church. And it spread like wildfire.

And interpretation can be a problem, too. It was originally written in Greek, you know, and there are very few 1:1 corrospondencies between two languages. My Greek is a little rusty, but it could have meant all the nations of the land. And it still doesn't even imply that the world is flat.

"Same goes for Pentacost. Did JC say "pentacost?""

No, that just happened to be the day that what He predicted happened.

As for all the religions growing, that would make sense, as the population of the world is, too.

Any real contradictions, either within the Bible, or between the Bible and science, please let me know.

------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps