Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Advertisers and Education (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Advertisers and Education
Jaresh Inyo
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You're right, Tahna. I don't think it will happen. There are too many checks and balances in the system for that to happen. The government decides the curriculum, and the government isn't private. In fact, the government defines public.

And about Bush, really, who cares? Did he get the degree because of his friend? Probably? Does it matter? Absolutely not. What difference does it make? Besides, Bush was the President of the United States. I'd be concerned if some guy no one had ever heard of was given a degree in the field of leading a super-power, but that ain't the case. Besides, our Prime Minister recently got an honourary doctorate from some university in Poland. Maybe he's sponsoring them, eh?

Oh, yeah, about Conrad Black. Say about him what you will, hell, even I think he's an asshole, but I respect him as a business man. Could either of us accomplish what he did? That man is employing thousands of Canadians, so lets cut him a little slack. He has a right to say whatever the hell he wants. It's mentioned in that little thing called "The Constitution." People are always bitching about Harris, and does anyone freak out? Everyone has a right to their own opinion. And everyone also has a right to strongly disagree with the others opinion.

------------------
Josh: I think they're getting to know each other a bit too well, if you catch my drift.
Me: Oh, I agree. I think they're spending too much time together, that is of course, if you catch my drift.
Asher: I think he's *ucking her, and he's cheating on his wife, and he's risking his marriage, and if his wife finds out about it she'll leave him and take their son, and his life will be ruined. If you catch my drift...

IP: Logged
Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Re: Bush- I won't say why the University thinks he deserved that doctorate, nor will I say why many others believe that he shouldn't have deserved that degree. But just after the intention to give him the doctorate was announced, Peter Munk, along with Barrick Co. gave a donation to the University of Toronto (in the millions of dollars) in exchange for his name on an institution. Many people believe that this deal came with many strings attached, those including Munk having a say on what goes on in that institution, where the money goes, and of course, provided that U-of-T keeps its promise to give that degree to Bush. When Universities start giving degrees away for cash, as this scheme implies, we have to take a hard look at what's going on here.

As for Conrad Black, the question is not about him as a businessman or an employer, it is about his character. I believe his comment about horsewhipping anyone who doesn't follow the right-wing agenda says alot, does it?

Tell me Jaresh, what do you think about that so-called "Anti-Disparagement" Clause which suspended that student for a day? Justified or not? Now what do you think about Advertising in Schools?

------------------
I can resist anything.......
Except Temptation

[This message has been edited by Tahna Los (edited September 06, 1999).]

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you have three Pepsis and drink one, how much more refreshed are you?

Pepsi?

Partial credit!

------------------
"Ray...the next time someone asks you if you're a god you say 'Yes!'"
-Winston Zeddmore

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think this whole issue signals two things. Firstly, that the government and the public in general don't give a hoot about education. Until someone runs for public office and then it's all about photo ops (like Clinton today standing in front of the broken down trailer classroom to deride the Republican tax cut) or making the campaign promise to become the "education president" and then falling asleep in the Oval Office chair. This apathy is evident in the amount of money allocated to public education that brings about at least some dependance on coporate sponsorship.

Secondly, it speaks to the fact that we are a possession focused society. That is clear when the coporate folks think that by hanging a sign for Nike in front of me then I will demand these cool shoes made by Indonesian sweat shop labor paid a few bucks a day be on my feet this instant so I can be in with the crowd. Bah! The more you possess, the more you are possesed and the coporations want to make good little consumers out of us while we are young.

Think about this as well, the increased money that has gone into the prison systems of late with the new "crack-down" on crime is misplaced in that it deals with the social problems after the horse is out of the barn so to speak. The money would be better spent on dealing with social ills before they are started whether than warehousing in prision those we could have saved if given the chance.

------------------
This anonymous clan of slack-jawed troglodytes has cost me the election, and yet if I were to have them killed, I would be the one to go to jail. That's democracy for you.
~ C. Mongomery Burns

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Psyliam: You may or may not be more refreshed, but what a caffine rush!!

------------------
Outside of a dog, a book is a mans best friend. Inside of a dog, it's to dark to read. Groucho Marx

Jaresh Inyo
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not justified, of course. It reminds me of something I'd do, actually. But I don't think that should mean that no school can accept private money. And do you really think that Pepsi had some shady conspiracy to get that guy suspended? It sounds more like the school was cracking down on independant thought, which I've seen happen personally.

------------------
Josh: I think they're getting to know each other a bit too well, if you catch my drift.
Me: Oh, I agree. I think they're spending too much time together, that is of course, if you catch my drift.
Asher: I think he's *ucking her, and he's cheating on his wife, and he's risking his marriage, and if his wife finds out about it she'll leave him and take their son, and his life will be ruined. If you catch my drift...

IP: Logged
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Strangely, I've always found that tea helps me stay awake far better than Coke.

So, Sol, if, during your 'Coke and Coke only' phase, you were out, and thirsty, and there was a can machine that had only Pepsi, would you shun that machine, and go thirsty?

Oh, and has anyone read Red Dwarf - Infinity welcomes careful drivers? One of these days, coke will do that...

------------------
"Why can we never meet anyone nice?"
"Why can we never meet anyone who can shoot straight?"
-Lister and the cat

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You've got it backwards. I drink only Pepsi, and shun Coke.

------------------
"Just because you're floating doesn't mean you haven't drowned."
--
They Might Be Giants

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So if you went to a Coke school then there would be litigation in the works, eh Sol?

------------------
This anonymous clan of slack-jawed troglodytes has cost me the election, and yet if I were to have them killed, I would be the one to go to jail. That's democracy for you.
~ C. Mongomery Burns

Cargile
Nobody Special
Member # 45

- posted      Profile for Cargile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pepsi sucks.

Enjoy Coke.

------------------
"I came upon a wedding, good old families had contribed.
Bethlaham the bride-groom, Babylon the bride.
Great Babylon was naked, ah she stood there trembling for me.
And Bethlaham enflamed us both, like a shy one at some orgy.
And when we fell together, all our flesh was like a veil.
But I had to draw aside to see the serpent eat its tail.
Some women wait for Jesus, and some women wait for Cain.
So I hang upon my alter, and I hoist my axe again.
And I take the one that finds me back to where it all began.
When Jesus was the honeymoon, and Cain was just a man.
And we read from pleasant Bibles, that are bound in blood and skin,
But the wilderness is gathering all its children back again."

excerpt from the song "Last Year's Man"
By Leonard Cohen.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh yeah? Well, Coke is only for pansies and...uh...other...pansies? Ah, to hell with it.

------------------
"Just because you're floating doesn't mean you haven't drowned."
--
They Might Be Giants

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

So, this is what we're down to? Name calling? Anti Coke slathering?

------------------
~ C. Mongomery Burns

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps