Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » More ammo for the C/E War (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: More ammo for the C/E War
First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sorry, but that makes no sense whatsoever. You're presupposing macroevolution (the thing that gave Archangel his wings and Cyclops his optic-blasting eyes, a complete-all-at-once change), when we know that that's not what happens. To say a mutation MUST change the reproductive system is ludicrous in the extreme.

Listen, it's really very simple. Take a bunch of sheets of paper. Divide them into two separate groups.

Now, fold one sheet once. That's a small, say 1-bit of DNA mutation.
Fold the rest of the sheets in that group. That represents the mutation being spread to the other members of that community (assuming it's selected for. Some are, some aren't. That's why it takes a LONG time.)
Now, fold one of the sheets a second time, in a different direction. That's a second mutation.
Fold the rest of the sheets in that group, again, too. That's the spreading.
Do this a dozen or so times. What you end up with is a bunch of objects, all similar, all having the same original form as, but now also very different from, the objects in the first group (the unfolded bits of paper.)

That's how it works. Massively simplified, of course.

------------------
"We shall not yield to you, nor to any man." -- Freak, The Mighty.

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But what you neglect in your analogy is that it's still paper! It may have a different shape and size, but no matter how many times you fold it, it will still be paper. Tell me: what kind of mutation WOULD be required to make the change to a different species? There HAS to be a specific type, because there WILL be a sharp division, and there are only three or four mutations per generation. You either can or can not reproduce with another specimine. There is no middle ground.

And for another thing, if everything was a mutation of a basic pattern, how do you explain the fact that not everything has the same amount of DNA? Any chromosomes added would be gibberish, basically millions of mutations, and thus many fatal ones would be included. And any chromosomes removed would be deadly, because I seriously doubt that we could afford to loose 2% of our DNA. If it's all mutation, then we'd all (all being all life, not all people) have the same number of chromosomes. Our DNA would just be different variations on a single ancestor, with variables changed, but none added or subtracted.

------------------
For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong.
- H. L. Mencken

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for letting me onto your little catholic secret. I am now going to upset your apple-cart and say that I already am Catholic, and have been for two decades.

*smug grin*

Well, not really. I prefer 'Christian' now.

But one thing our R.E. teacher admitted was that the bible was absolutly crystal clear on homosexuality. Not some metephour, or anything like that. Not 'consider the lillies of the field', the bible states that homosexuality is a very evil deed.

He didn't agree, and neither did we, but as proper catholics we must treat homosexuals as evil snake worshippers.

And not have before marriage sex. Or use contraception.

*ahem*

And that happens...

------------------
You know, when Comedy Central asked us to do a Thanksgiving episode, the first thought that went through my mind was, "Boy, I'd like to have sex with Jennifer Aniston."

-Trey Parker, co-creator of South Park

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Angel and Cyclops didn't just change overnight, you know. The x-factor had been building up and growing since the Celestials first toyed with life on Earth.

That is...what I meant to say was...Cyclops? What are you talking about? Some childish endeavor that I would never engage in, surely.

*ahem*

As I meant to say, um...oh yeah. Don't you mean *smug mode*, Liam? (And yes, I did try snpp.com. They don't have the guides for that season done yet.)

Omega said: Well, he said some stuff. To be honest, I'm really not sure what you're driving at. What "sharp" division are you speaking of, exactly? You seem to be assuming that evolution works on the level of individuals. It does not. Instead, as First said, it operates on communities. And, over time, all the members of an isolated community are going to share a unique genetic code that will prevent them from interbreeding with members of their old species.

For instance, let's say that...oh, Jennifer Connelly and I live in some freaky beatnik commune. And so, as men and women often do, we have a child. Said child contains a minor genetic mutation. Said child goes off and does same with other members of same commune. Process repeats until minor genetic mutation is shared in the entire commune. New gene proves useful, so it continues to change. Eventually, everyone here becomes a new species. (A spectacularly attractive one, I might add.) How? Because the members of the commune are more closely related genetically than those outside of it. Meaning that I can reproduce with them, even though are genetic codes are not identical. But I can no longer reproduce with outsiders, who have not been able to incorporate ANY versions of this new mutated gene.

Or, in other words, say the gene is A5. I can reproduce with people who have A4 and maybe A3. But not people with A1, and those are the people outside of the commune.

------------------
"And much of Madness, and more of Sin, and Horror the soul of the plot."
--
The Conqueror Worm, by Edgar Allan Poe

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"What "sharp" division are you speaking of, exactly?"

The division of either being able or not able to reproduce with other specimines. See my next example.

I think I see what you're driving at, but it still doesn't work. You're suggesting multiple grades, as opposed to my two; saying that person A could reproduce with person B, and B could reproduce with C, but C could not reproduce with A (please ignore gender). Even if it was possible, it still wouldn't make any difference. B and C would have a child, and their child would inherit B's ability to reproduce with A, thus not creating a different species.

------------------
For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong.
- H. L. Mencken

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Huh? How exactly do you back up that assumption? For one thing, A4's can't interbreed with A1's either.

Besides, why are we arguing this? The whole process has been observed in the natural world.

------------------
--

HMS White Star
Member # 174

- posted      Profile for HMS White Star     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey First, not that I been in biology in a while but don't the majority of mutantions are inhairently harmful and generally kill the mutanted being, unless I forgotten by biology and mutantations are rarely passed on.

------------------
HMS White Star (your local friendly agent of Chaos and a d*mn lucky b*st*rd:-) )

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

Ooh, self-cleaning mu-tant.

------------------
--

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, they aren't. I posted a bit of information about the belief that most mutations are harmful and/or fatal a while back in the old thread. You will be able to find it again at www.talkorigins.org/faqs/mutations.html

there are many ways in which mutations might occur, and virtually none of them involve changes to entire chromosomes. (this is why you have FAR more species than there are #'s of chromosomes possible in a cell.)

Yes, the paper is still paper, much as the DNA in our bodies is still DNA. HOWEVER, the SHAPE of it has changed radically, far moreso than the small percentage which our DNA differs from, say, pan troglodytes (a chimp).

"The average human being has about 50-100 mutations (differing them from EITHER of their parents,) of which about 3 may actually matter (they actually change a protein.) If the typical mutation were deleterious, life would go extinct in short order." - parenthetical expressions mine.

------------------

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yup. Most mutations don't do squat. Of the others, more are harmful than beneficial. However that also supports evolution. Harmful mutations make the animal less likely to survive, and so it doesn't propegate, and the mutation dies out.

------------------
You know, when Comedy Central asked us to do a Thanksgiving episode, the first thought that went through my mind was, "Boy, I'd like to have sex with Jennifer Aniston."

-Trey Parker, co-creator of South Park

bryce
Anointed Class of 2003
Member # 42

- posted      Profile for bryce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kinda glad my 17 hours doesn't allow me to stop by here that much Have fun!

------------------
It's all about the Pentiums, Baby!
"I'm down with Bill Gates, I call him Money for short
I phone him up at home and I make him do my tech support"

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

Because I can: A little bit more on Archaeopteryx's furcula/clavicle/sternum, from www.talkorigins.org :

Furcula (wishbone) formed of two clavicles fused together in the midline.

Now we start getting on shaky ground. It used to be thought that the possession of a furcula distinguished birds from dinosaurs. Indeed, up until recently even clavicles were few and far between in even theropod dinosaurs (the suggested closest group to the birds and from which the birds evolved - see Ostrom 1976). However, it has been found that theropod dinosaurs did indeed have clavicles (e.g. Bryant &Russell 1993) and they have been found in several species, e.g., Segisaurus, Velociraptor, Euparkeria, Ornithosuchus, Saltoposuchus, Ticinosuchus. Also, Chure & Madson (1996) reported furculae in a non-maniraptoran, allosaurid dinosaur.

It has been found that the clavicles are often small and poorly ossified. This is no surprise, since they are of little evolutionary advantage to your average theropod dinosaur. However, birds too show this variation in ossification, especially amongst the carniates and some parrots, clavicles are reduced or even missing. Therefore the apparent absence of clavicles in some theropod dinosaurs may well be due to poor ossification rather than true absence. However, furculas have been found in some theropod dinosaurs, namely the Oviraptorosauria (Barsbold et al. 1990, Bryant & Russell 1993), for example Oviraptor and Ingenia. Thus furculas do not appear to be diagnostic to birds and certain members of the suggested closest group to the birds now appear to possess furculas so it is a neutral character.

------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps