Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Customer Care the Apple Way

Author Topic: Customer Care the Apple Way
The First One
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, basically I'm trying it on. I want Quicktime 4. But the installer program doesn't work through our firewall at work. Bear in mind this isn't just for me. The Internet is really taking off at work now, and it's going to become a major research tool for the lawyers. I need to install that certain basic utilities are available, such as Adobe Acrobat. . . and Quicktime.

Now, I've been through this before. IE 5 also uses an installer program. When I phoned up Microsoft UK and did s apot of corporate name-dropping, they merely took some details and sent me not only the full programme on CD, but also the Adminstrator version.

But then came Apple. My first call, I get redirected to a page where I can buy Quicktime Pro, a snip at �30. If I wanted to buy it, I wouldn't be trying to download it off the Internet!

So I call again. This time the helpdesk person puts me on hold for ages (I pass the time yelling down the phone "iMac?! What the f*** is that? Looks like my iron!" and "You're playing Dire Straits? Is that some sort of reflection on your market share?!") before coming back to tell me to contact the network administrator and get them to turn off the firewall.

I AM the network administrator! And you can't just turn the firewall off! It's an integral part of the internet connection. I could get round it, sure, but only to install QT on one PC. I need something I can run on any PC that needs it!

So, there. A cautionary tale, and one dissatisfied customer. Anyone who DLs Quicktime content is just going to be told "sorry, but that requires an Apple product, and they're crap."

------------------
"Paranoia strikes deep
Into your life it will creep. . ."

Starfleet Weapons & Tactics

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You should be able to just find the port number that the installer uses and allow that in the firewall.

BTW, I don't see why you expect techinical support for a free product anyway. :P

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"I can't find any good quotations." - Frank G

The First One
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Port number? Tried that. But then we can't even get FTP through the blasted thing. I tell you, it's the bane of our lives here. . .

I don't expect technical support, I'm just making a comment on basic customer handling and putting over a good impression. Today free Quicktime 4, tomorrow Quicktime Pro! But no, they've just discouraged a potential customer. IE 5 is free, and Microsoft didn't seem to have any problems.

HMS White Star
Member # 174

- posted      Profile for HMS White Star     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Microsoft did tech support, O my god. I thought they normally charged 35 bucks an hour.

------------------
HMS White Star (your local friendly agent of Chaos and a d*mn lucky b*st*rd:-) )

Orion Syndicate
He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy!
Member # 25

- posted      Profile for Orion Syndicate     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They do have tech support, but charge you if you use it

------------------
Do business with us, or we'll ruin you.

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You must have a colorful iron. @)

------------------
"One Tequila, Two Tequila, Three Tequila, Floor". George Carlin

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps