Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Aftermath of a Massacre

Author Topic: Aftermath of a Massacre
Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On December 6, Canada will commemorate the 10th anniversary of one of the most brutal and savage massacres in the history of the world. Although the number who died is small compared to other horrible massacres, the nature of the victims and why they were shot puts this massacre among one of the worst in Human History. 14 women were savagely shot in a University in Montreal, by a madman who wanted to kill women because he hated feminists. The following link talks about the aftermath of the massacre, 10 years later.

Aftermath of a Massacre

May December 6th be etched in the minds of all humanity.

------------------
I can resist anything.......
Except Temptation

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Certainly horrific, but I'm not sure it deserves the award for "greatest" massacre of all time.

------------------
"It's just like the story of the grasshopper and the octopus. All year long, the grasshopper kept burying acorns for winter while the octopus mooched off his girlfriend and watched TV. But then the winter came and the grasshopper died and the octopus ate all his acorns, and then he got a racecar. Is any of this getting through to you?."
--
Futurama

DT
Member # 80

- posted      Profile for DT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd like to vote for anything involving Suharto or Pol Pot

------------------

Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What about Stalin's regime that supposedly killed off 20-30 million of his own people? I'd say that's a quite a massacre, if not the greatest one.

------------------
"Goverment exists to serve, not to lead. We do not exist by its volition, it exists by ours. Bear that in mind when you insult your neighbors for refusing to bow before it." - Jeffrey Richman, UB student

Chimaera
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just because the massacre in Montreal didn't kill a million people doesn't make it any less tragic. Although it certainly doesn't count as "the most brutal and savage" IMHO, it is very important because it portrays the power of hatred, and the danger when that hatred is put into action.

As for "the most brutal and savage massacres in the history of the world", the list is unfortunately very long, including Hitler's final solution, Rwanda and those already mentioned above to name a few. And, I would remind you, a large number have been perpetrated by the United States (and it's western allies) as well, so let's not have anyone trying to climb up onto high moral ground here.

------------------
"But, it was so artistically done."
-Grand Admiral Thrawn

IP: Logged
DT
Member # 80

- posted      Profile for DT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, but Stalin (and Mao) used famine as a way to kill the people, thus restricting the amount of single massacres.
Suharto was a big fan of big killings.

------------------

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I said "One of the most". You don't have to agree with me on that one.

Yes, I do believe that Genocide is worse, but this event really rocked my boat when it first aired. All the more reason to call it brutal and savage is because of the nature of the crime. In a Society which pledges equality among all, this is a real disaster.

------------------
I can resist anything.......
Except Temptation

DT
Member # 80

Canadian society does not stress equality among all.

DISCLAIMER
No offence to Canadians either, had this been said about an event in Argentina, I would've said Argentinian society does not stress equality among all.

------------------

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does any society? Not to my recollection...

------------------
"I've never seen anything this beautiful in the entire galaxy. Alright, give me the bomb" -Ultra Magnus, Fight or Flee

[This message has been edited by Ultra Magnus (edited December 01, 1999).]

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice to see you posting DT!

------------------
Fool of a Took, throw yourself in next time!!
Gandalf

Montgomery
Reigning Supreme
Member # 23

- posted      Profile for Montgomery     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's no society on the planet that has true equality. Yes, ants too.

------------------
"You see, unlike you I understand history!
My name will blaze across the stars long after your petty treachery has been for-gotten !!!"

[This message has been edited by Montgomery (edited December 01, 1999).]

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps