Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Religion is dead! (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Religion is dead!
First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Makes it easy when you can pick and choose what to take literally, huh?

That way, when you come across something that's contradictory (like certain prophecies concerning the Messiah which JC didn't quite fulfil), unpleasant (like God sending bears to eat 42 children), or just plain wrong (like JC's clearly stating that the kingdom of God would come within the disciples' lifetimes) when taken literally, you can say "Oh, that was just a metaphor!" And feel better about your cerebral capacity.

------------------
Calvin: "No efficiency, no accountability... I tell you, Hobbes, it's a lousy way to run a Universe." -- Bill Watterson

bryce
Anointed Class of 2003
Member # 42

- posted      Profile for bryce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I refuse to answer some of the questions here truthfully because it will only get people upset at me.

The thing with prophecy is that some of it has already occurred and some of it has not. Generally, most believe the prophecy that has already occurred has historical evidence to back it up.

And I was a classical American like a lot of you until my conversion. I wasn't born this way.

------------------
Peace on Earth
-
If anyone here feels so attached to me that they would like to name something in my honor please contact Asbury College and donate money for furniture in the new Kinlaw Library.

[This message has been edited by bryce (edited January 28, 2000).]

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, then, you're better than us 'Classic Americans', right? We're nothing more than 'Classic Americans' until we accept Jesus as our personal savior, right?

Well, guess what? I'm Canadian.

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"American" isn't a nationality, anyway.
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have to say that I agree with Bryce. For some reason, this has turned from a pleasant and thought provoking exchange of ideas and beliefs into a pointless arguement. Now, I love good conversations, but, no offense guys, I'm not into pointless arguements.

------------------
"A gathering of Angels appeared above my head. They sang to me this song of hope, and this is what they said..." -Styx

Aban's Illustration www.thespeakeasy.com/alanfore

bryce
Anointed Class of 2003
Member # 42

- posted      Profile for bryce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My only intent was to make a reference to the majority of Americans represented on this board.

------------------
What started in Jerusalem as a relationship, went on to become a philosophy in Athens, an institution in Rome, a culture in nothern Europe, and was turned into an enterprise in America.
-paraphrased, author unknown-

Diane
aka Tora Ziyal
Member # 53

- posted      Profile for Diane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Define "classic American". You can't throw vague terms around and expect everyone to have the same definition as you.

------------------
--Then, said Cranly, do you not intend to become a protestant?
--I said that I had lost the faith, Stephen answered, but not that I had lost self-respect. What kind of liberation would that be to forsake an absurdity which is logical and coherent and to embrace one which is illogical and incoherent?

James Joyce, A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man.

bryce
Anointed Class of 2003
Member # 42

The Definition I chose for the word is the majority of Americans throughout history. I use the term Americans because no one says "United Statians." Since the Revolution with the exception of the period after the Great Awaking moast Americans have been taught to treat their nation and their culture like a religion.

Its not that I am no longer patriotic, I am, but I used to think America was too great to have any god but itself.

------------------
What started in Jerusalem as a relationship, went on to become a philosophy in Athens, an institution in Rome, a culture in nothern Europe, and was turned into an enterprise in America.
-paraphrased, author unknown-

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IMO, people should treat their nation and culture like a religion, at least to some extent.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
John Linnell: "This song is called...it's called..."
Audience: "Louisiana! Montana!"
John Linnell: Don't tell me what it's called..."

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Erm... That's kinda how wars get started...

------------------
Col. Maybourne: "Teal'c... It's good to see you well."
Teal'c: "In my culture, I would be well within my rights to dismember you."
-Stargate SG-1: "Touchstone"

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, then, be sure you're on the winning side.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
John Linnell: "This song is called...it's called..."
Audience: "Louisiana! Montana!"
John Linnell: Don't tell me what it's called..."

Orion Syndicate
He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy!
Member # 25

- posted      Profile for Orion Syndicate     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I tend to agree with the people who think that most poeple won't care if the 'messiah' returns. I use that term loosely because I'm referring to the holy figures of all religions.

In this day and age, people are consumed by their own self importance. Religion has taken a back seat to personal aims and goals. Until that changes (if that changes) we will see the situation change.

Peoples beliefs are now defined by their experiences throughout their lives and are not taught to them by religious clerics. I myself was brought up as a god fearing muslim and was pretty religious up until the age of 11 when I started to think for myself. Most people wouldn't dare to question their religious teacher but one fateful day, I thought he'd made a mistake, I corrected him and he hit me. That was the turning point for me, and I'm sure most people have experiences which represent the turning point in their lives.

I still believe in god and heaven and hell, but believe that the path to each of these is defined by your achievements in life and not necessarily how religious one has been and who they worship. I still cringe when I hear these stories that only followers of Jesus or only muslims will be able to attain their place in heaven.

If someone does come back to 'save' humanity, I'd like to think that they'd save everyone and not only their own kind. I'd also like to think that they'd be accepted because like it or not, humanity DOES need some saving. Unless we change our attitudes about others, we'll end up destroying each other and that I think would be an extremely wasteful way for us to bow out.

------------------
Whenever people agree with me, I always feel I must be wrong.

Montgomery
Reigning Supreme
Member # 23

- posted      Profile for Montgomery     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I tend to agree. I actually wouldn't call myself an atheist in any sense. I just think that:

a) My "born-into" religion, Catholicism, is based on a historical text of dubious authenticity

b) Religion is no longer a necessary social tool for implanting a moral code into each new generation

c) I disagree with several doctrines of the Catholic Church, and have recently been disgusted to find some figureheads of it spout bigotry and demand their "flock" rush to support their stance. No bloody way.

d) I am capable of making my own value judgements on whatis right and wrong. religious leaders are welcome to express their opinion, give reasons and I shall weigh it logically in my mind. I will NOT accept their beliefs blindly without question. And I will not succomb to the notion that any one group is, because of their beliefs, "chosen of God". Because frankly gentlepersons, that is bullshit.

------------------
"You don't need eyes to see; you need VISION"
- Faithless / Reverence

Orion Syndicate
Member # 25

- posted      Profile for Orion Syndicate     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*stands up and applauds Monty* Encore! Encore!

------------------

Orion Syndicate
Member # 25

Just to let everyone know that my last post was a joke and not in any way applauding the parts of Monty's post regarding catholics, okay?

Now, you may continue the debate.

------------------

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps