Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » My theory on Humans (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: My theory on Humans
Mythril
Member # 286

- posted      Profile for Mythril     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
After much thought and observation, i have deduced that there are 3 driving forces for the human race.

1. Greed: it drives the world economy with out money is worthless.

2. Stupidity: How else would the greedy people make money. By preying on the stupid and gullable.

3. Sex: this has started and ended wars, forged civilizations and is geneticaly ingrained into the human genome, this is the ultimate of the 3, the drive to mate.

I would like to here your oppinions on this.

------------------
I am not responsible for the stupidity of other people.

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not greed. The wish to better your conditions is not nesecarily greed. It's greed when it's to the exclusion of all else, or when you knowingly harm someone else.

And there's protection, either of self or loved ones.

------------------
You are wise, witty, and wonderful, but you spend far too much time reading this sort of trash.

Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Curry Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd say survival overrides all three. But funnily enough, the above are all components of survival.

------------------
Samaritan: "A good hot curry will help heal your wounds. That is, unless your religion forbids it".

Man: (Eyes growing wide) "No religion forbids a good hot curry".

-From some movie.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hesitate to make sweeping pronouncements, but seeing as how the "meaning of life" has been the topic of much formal debate for over two thousand years, I am not anticipating that the answer can be summed up in three catchy lines.

However, that isn't to say it can't be. I'm just not anticipating it. Heck, I didn't anticipate having to wake up early this morning, which shows you what I know.

------------------
"20th Century, go to sleep."
--
R.E.M.

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Survival, reproduction, and betterment of one's conditions, perhaps? In that order.

------------------
You are wise, witty, and wonderful, but you spend far too much time reading this sort of trash.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Y'know, I think Scott Adams came to the same conclusion as Necro in The Dilbert Future.

------------------
Lisa: "A rose by any other name would smell as sweet."
Bart: "Not if you called them 'stench blossoms'..."
-The Simpsons

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gluttony.
Greed.
Pride.
Wrath.
Sloth.
Lust.
Envy.

Just try to fit these in and you'll see how the world goes round.

------------------
"My Name is Elmer Fudd, Millionaire. I own a Mansion and a Yacht."
Psychiatrist: "Again."

bryce
Anointed Class of 2003
Member # 42

- posted      Profile for bryce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Those three things show the "Fallen World", but with lots of different people trying to undo that the exact three opposite would also have to be included.

Does that make sense to anyone except me?

------------------
What started in Jerusalem as a relationship, went on to become a philosophy in Athens, an institution in Rome, a culture in nothern Europe, and was turned into an enterprise in America.
-paraphrased, author unknown-

Mythril
Member # 286

- posted      Profile for Mythril     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have read his book, i formulated these way before that. But is still agree with much of what scott adams has to say, they have a lot of truth to them.

Plus he is funny as hell.
------------------

[This message has been edited by Necromancer (edited February 06, 2000).]

Montgomery
Reigning Supreme
Member # 23

- posted      Profile for Montgomery     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Number 3 should be top of the list...

And people are not driven by stupidity. They act stupidly in response to their greed, fear, jealousy, etc.

------------------
"You don't need eyes to see; you need VISION"
- Faithless / Reverence

Mythril
Member # 286

i did not mean that people are driven by stupidity, but many for some reason act stupid, i have not been able to determine the exact cause as of yet, but you are right much is in response to certain stimuli.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Necromancer (edited February 06, 2000).]

bryce
Anointed Class of 2003
Member # 42

- posted      Profile for bryce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Forget that-I meant what I 1st posted here.

------------------
What started in Jerusalem as a relationship, went on to become a philosophy in Athens, an institution in Rome, a culture in nothern Europe, and was turned into an enterprise in America.
-paraphrased, author unknown-

[This message has been edited by bryce (edited February 06, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by bryce (edited February 06, 2000).]

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It seems to me that the principle of utility as expressed by that Bentham guy makes much more sense than any list of various bad qualities of people. (Forgive the jargon, but midterms, etc.)

In other words, people act to maximize their pleasure and minimize their pain.

By no means as universal as that aforementioned Bentham guy might have liked, but a good starting point.

------------------
"20th Century, go to sleep."
--
R.E.M.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember studying something about the hierarchy of human response. I have no idea what it was called or who formulated this theory though. I think it fits in well with Sol System's comment about maximizing pleasure while minimizing pain.

The theory was very basic and was organized into a pyramid. Basically, our day to day concerns take up only the very top of this pyramid and are subserviant to everything below it. It stated that basic needs override superficial ones. In other words, people will not worry about what to have for dinner tonight if they find they can no longer breathe! Nor will they be terribly worried about sex if they are starving.

I have no idea if this adds anything to the conversation or not. What I'm basically saying is that generally, survival instincts will always kick in first and foremost. Of course, as intelligent, conscious creatures, we have the ability to override these instincts based on moral or other ground. Only animals act purely and unthinkingly on instinct.

------------------
"A gathering of Angels appeared above my head. They sang to me this song of hope, and this is what they said..." -Styx

Aban's Illustration www.thespeakeasy.com/alanfore

[This message has been edited by Aban Rune (edited February 07, 2000).]

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can narrow it down to one thing.

Insanity.

Human beings are insane. Every single one of them. Now, the type of illness and the severity differes throughout the species, but they're all insane.

They're selfish, arrogant, self-destructive, vain, foresight-impaired sensation junkies.

If they weren't so damned amusing sometimes, I wouldn't want anything to do with them.

------------------
Calvin: "No efficiency, no accountability... I tell you, Hobbes, it's a lousy way to run a Universe." -- Bill Watterson

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps