Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Linking

Author Topic: Linking
Brown_supahero
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Brown_supahero     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was working on a small commercial site, linking thumbnail images to the larger ones on thier assosiates, when i checked the links i find that thier server has blocked direct access to thier files. the only way to access thier files is through thier html.

they claim that it takes away bandwidth from thier members, and takes away attention to thier sites.

I belive that the internet is about linking and sharing information, why do sites do this. it's started with xoom, now it's beginning with the good servers like tripod.

over the year that i've been on solarflare i have seen many of you try to link your images on to the fourms, and to view these images one has to create a shortcut on their desktop to access these images. what happens if the viewer doesn't know how to see those images?

what is your opinion on this matter?

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The first time I tried to link anything, it was an image from Zoom, the first picture of The Excalibur, when "Crusade" was in production. It didn't work and I didn't know why till Charles informed me how Zoom worked. I've avoided Zoom whenever possible since that time.

------------------
Fool of a Took, throw yourself in next time!!
Gandalf

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's an asinine attempt to ensure you have to go to "their" site to see any of their content. I believe it's roughly equivalent to movie theaters not allowing you to know what's showing until you've paid admission.

It's stupid3, if you ask me!

--Baloo

------------------
"The mark of a truly great mind isn't whether you're right or wrong. It's how well you can weasel out of a jam."
--Cecil Adams
Come Hither and Yawn...

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well Xoom's reasoning is that if you link to it from the outside, you can download images, videos, etc...without looking at their ads from which they derive their revenue.

------------------
No I'm Spartacus!

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Exactly. They're nice enough to give you server space, and they don't want you just using accounts as file storage.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"This song is dedicated to everyone in the audience tonight...WITH ONE EYE!" - John Linnell

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's all well and good, but I can't imagine it will be too long before every free site is just a page-long ad, with the option to add a few words of your own in a pop-up window. I mean, they're offering you a free webpage. Where do you get off trying to actually put things on it?

------------------
"You are stupid and evil and do not know you are stupid and evil."
--
Gene Ray, Cubic

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Exactly. Use your ISP's Web server, or if they don't allow that, get a new ISP.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"This song is dedicated to everyone in the audience tonight...WITH ONE EYE!" - John Linnell

Mythril
Member # 286

- posted      Profile for Mythril     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know the feeling my web server does not allow hotlinking. But it is still a good server.

------------------
I am not responsible for the stupidity of other people.

[This message has been edited by Necromancer (edited February 17, 2000).]

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps