Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Making restitution...

Author Topic: Making restitution...
Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You see? We Americans do eventually get around to doing the right thing. It's just that sometimes it takes a while. I present the following evidence (opens a now window).

Fascinating. Now that they've publicly recognized the wrong, I hope it takes less time than getting an apology from the Japanese for the "comfort women" did.

--Baloo

------------------
"Helping Tomorrow Feel Superior by Scoffing at Yesterday."
--James Lileks [Motto of The Institute of Official Cheer.]
http://www.geocities.com/cyrano_jones.geo/

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They are, of course, absolutely right. Slavery is completely undefendable, and anyone making money off it was party to a great evil.

However, I question whether apologies are really meaningful in this sort of case. On the one hand, the people responsible are long dead. On the other, corporations are entities in and of themselves, so there is some sort of obligation here.

As for restitution, trying to make individual payments sounds like an absolute nightmare. Far better, in my opinion, would be for such groups to put their money towards scholarships and endowments and the like.

------------------
"You are stupid and evil and do not know you are stupid and evil."
--
Gene Ray, Cubic

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Agreed. And it shouldn't come out of MY money, as all my ancestors who were alive at the time fought on the side of the North.

Now, what's this I heard about the Pope finally apologizing for the Inquisition or the Witchhunts? I missed the news story last night.

------------------
"Nobody knows this, but I'm scared all the time... of what I might do, if I ever let go." -- Michael Garibaldi

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pope in Historic Plea to Pardon Church Sins

Though you've probably read about it elsewhere by now.

------------------
"What did it mean to fly? A tremor in your soul. To resist the dull insistance of gravity."
--
Camper Van Beethoven

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well. It's a start.

------------------
"Nobody knows this, but I'm scared all the time... of what I might do, if I ever let go." -- Michael Garibaldi

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps