Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » The Latest on Cultural Amalgamation (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: The Latest on Cultural Amalgamation
First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Like Imperial Rome?

------------------
"Nobody knows this, but I'm scared all the time... of what I might do, if I ever let go." -- Michael Garibaldi

Dane Simri
Member # 272

- posted      Profile for Dane Simri     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sol, I'm still missing your logic. Are you saying that a homogeneous culture can only "bend in one direction?" Maybe if you typed slowly and used small words I'd get it.

First, are you throwing Imperial Rome into the ring as being an example of cultural homogeneity? If so, are you serious?

------------------
Dane

"Mathematicians have long held that a million monkeys banging on a million keyboards would eventually reproduce the collected wisdom of the human race. Now, thanks to the internet, we know this is not true." -- Robert Silensky

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not just culture. Any system that limits itself to one mode of reaction is always at risk of being destroyed when something new happens in the environment.

------------------
"What did it mean to fly? A tremor in your soul. To resist the dull insistance of gravity."
--
Camper Van Beethoven

Dane Simri
Member # 272

- posted      Profile for Dane Simri     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, so you're saying that a homogeneous culture limits itself to one mode of reaction and is therefore doomed when that single mode fails. I hate to hold you to logic here, but you at some point have to prove that a homogeneous culture would be limited in such a way. To me, it seems that a society unhindered by the prejudices of a plurality of cultures would avail itself of a wider range of possible reactions, not a narrower one.

------------------
Dane

"Mathematicians have long held that a million monkeys banging on a million keyboards would eventually reproduce the collected wisdom of the human race. Now, thanks to the internet, we know this is not true." -- Robert Silensky

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Where are those different reactions going to come from, if everyone is forced to act the same with no alternative?

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"Bah! Screw Alaska!" - TSN

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
By definition, a homogenous culture only has one set of reactions to choose from.

You aren't talking about an homogenous culture, however, but one where the differences aren't based on things that we might call petty, such as birth place or skin color.

------------------
"What did it mean to fly? A tremor in your soul. To resist the dull insistance of gravity."
--
Camper Van Beethoven

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps