Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » What it takes to get a gun... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: What it takes to get a gun...
Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At least here in Erie County, NY.

A man wrote to the Opinion page, telling what he had to go through to get a handgun.

"In order to obtain a pistol, I had to apply in triplicate, be fingerprinted, be reviewed by the FBI, take a gun-safety course, supply six black and white photos, be interviewed by a judge and the local police, supply 3 character references who live in my town, have a valid reason to carry the handgun, and pay over $180 in fees. After at least a nine-month wait, a pistol permit was issued."

Now tell me, does anyone think it is so easy to get a gun legally? Illegally, of course, you can them anywhere.

------------------
"Goverment exists to serve, not to lead. We do not exist by its volition, it exists by ours. Bear that in mind when you insult your neighbors for refusing to bow before it." J. Richmond, UB Student

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Seeing as how I live in a home with several guns, all of which were purchased with a minimun of fuss, and some even purchased with even less fuss at gun shows, I'd have to say your example is extremely rare and cannot be considered representational.

However, keep in mind that I live on the other side of the continent, and these things differ from state to state and even county to county.

And before First rushes in and proclaims that I'm secretly a Nazi, Communist, or agent for Spectre, keep in mind that I'm not advocating any change in gun show policy whatsoever. I'm merely making the objective claim that it is easier to purchase a gun at one, as the laws pertaining to them are different then the laws pertaining to a store selling guns.

------------------
"What did it mean to fly? A tremor in your soul. To resist the dull insistance of gravity."
--
Camper Van Beethoven

Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Curry Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Without being overly insulting I'd have to say that is the stupidest thing I have ever heard. Different laws from county to county? Jesus Christ. Just how does such a disorganised legislature function?

------------------
"Blind faith is the crutch of fools"

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, gee, since we all know that everyone is the exact same, there's no reason to have different laws anywhere! And, while we're at it, let's just form one world government with one set of laws, ignoring all disagreements, and pick one supreme dictator at random, since we know he'll be the same as everyone else!

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"Bah! Screw Alaska!" - TSN

Orion Syndicate
He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy!
Member # 25

- posted      Profile for Orion Syndicate     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Trust Frank to reply to to a serious comment with something stupid.

------------------
Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious.

Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He was making a point, Orion... I got the point, did you?

------------------
"Goverment exists to serve, not to lead. We do not exist by its volition, it exists by ours. Bear that in mind when you insult your neighbors for refusing to bow before it." J. Richmond, UB Student

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My comment was sarcasm/satire, of course, meant to explain why the different counties have different laws.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"Bah! Screw Alaska!" - TSN

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Allow me to point out, Daryus, that if the national government controlls everything to the microscopic level, the same thing can happen to everything it controls as would happen if they controlled the economy directly. Eventually, they'd screw up, being only human, and then everyone'd be screwed, instead of the people in just one county. And since they'd have to have a hopelessly huge bureaucracy to control everything that closely, it'd take them fifteen years to fix everything, instead of the six months it'd take on a county level.

------------------
You are wise, witty, and wonderful, but you spend far too much time reading this sort of trash.

Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Curry Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*rolls eyes* Who said ANYTHING about controlling things at a micro level? Legislature should deicde local issues based on the existing law. However I just don't see how diverging legal practices within a single political unit can be an effective way to run a country.

Omega, for gods sake, jump off the anti red bandwagon

------------------
"Blind faith is the crutch of fools"

Omega
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But if I did that, who'd drive?

And you don't seem to understand that we AREN'T a single political unit. We are a group of small political units united for common goals in areas like defense. Outside of those areas, clearly defined in the constitution, we all run our own show.

------------------
You are wise, witty, and wonderful, but you spend far too much time reading this sort of trash.

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So this is what will happen in the United States of Europe some time in the future, too?

------------------
"When You're Up to Your Ass in Alligators, Today Is the First Day of the Rest of Your Life."
-- Management slogan, Ridcully-style (Terry Pratchett, The Last Continent, Discworld)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Prakesh's Star Trek Site

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually Omega, I don't think your definition of the United States has been valid since...oh, the Industrial Revolution. At least not since the Civil War, although technically it does hold some merit.

------------------
"What did it mean to fly? A tremor in your soul. To resist the dull insistance of gravity."
--
Camper Van Beethoven

Omega
Member # 91

Perhaps I should rephrase that. That's the way it legally should be. The way it is is sadly different. One wonders if the states could get together in a class-action suit against the US government and sue for breach of contract for oversteping the bounds stated in the constitution...

------------------

Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

Omega, that's exactly what the Civil War was about.

------------------

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

Omega, you seem to have a vastly different conception of what the USA should be then most of its citizens.

Personally, I rather like knowing that my civil liberties are preserved no matter what state I happen to be in. I also generally consider my nationality to be American, and not Washingtonian, Yakimanian, or Grangerian. And while a People's Republic of Granger might be interesting, I have my doubts as to what benefits if any it could give me. "Hmm, want electricity? Well, that's cool, but we don't have any. Better make a deal with our more powerful neighbor, the Lower Kingdom of Rosa." "Sure, we'll wire you for internet access. But our company only does work in states certified by First Citizen Frank."

I'm afraid the era for tiny states bound together by loose rules went out with the Napoleonic Wars. How self-sufficient is Andorra these days, by the way?

------------------
--
Camper Van Beethoven

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps