Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » I hate Adobe

Author Topic: I hate Adobe
Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Their user interfaces are ugly, illogical and unnecessarily complicated. Without customizable tool bars, I need twice the time or more to access a certain tool, and they obviously missed the invention of the mouse wheel too.

I admit that Photoshop rules concerning the quality of the image processing and the effects. There are many things I simply couldn't do with Photopaint (which has countless bugs anyway). However, the Adobe user interface makes me mad, especially when there is much to do with a scanned image (cloning, retouching, adjusting). It takes me two hours to clean up a scanned starship schematic with Photopaint, I reckon that this would be at least four hours with Photoshop, even if I get more used to it.

The worst of all is Illustrator, a program which is supposed to be "industrial standard" for graphic design, but which cannot even draw simple smooth curves. If you have ever tried the Bezier tool in Micrografx Designer, you know that it's impossible to use, and this is the only tool in Illustrator! I claim to know a lot about 2D CAD design, but this program is completely crap. I guess since the so-called "professionals" are used to prehistoric programs, they just didn't see the need to improve it.

Last but not least there is Adobe Acrobat, a program allegedly suited to create PDF files, Adobe's own standard for printable documents. PDF works well, unless you use Acrobat to create them! The Adobe PDF writer is probably the worst piece of software to exist. Graphics (e.g. in Winword) are allegedly moderately compressed, but they are completely irrecognizable as late as they are printed. The same goes for Corel Draw drawings. Surprisingly, the Corel Draw filter for PDF works well and creates proper PDF files.

Only a few examples of many many more reasons for my grudge against Adobe.

------------------
"Species 5618, human. Warp-capable, origin grid 325, physiology inefficient, below average cranium capacity, minimum redundant systems, limited regenerative abilities."
Ex Astris Scientia

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I actually had to take a class on Photoshop, and there's still a lot in the program I haven't used. This is probably to be expected from such a powerful program, though.

I agree...I hate Beziers.

You can start calling the third program "Acrobrat" if you want.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"It's easy to learn to drive a golf cart, but it's hard to express yourself in one." - Larry Wall

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I tried it on for size and must warn others that "ACROBRAT" is very challenging to pronounce, tounge-wise.
Any attempt to do so will be met with uncomfortable feeling in mouth.

------------------
-At least I can get it up without biomechanical pumps.
-Try falling into a pit of lava, Moffy. Then see how horny you feel.

Saiyanman Benjita
...in 2012. This time, why not the worst?
Member # 122

- posted      Profile for Saiyanman Benjita     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
you're right. It is hard to pronounce.at least not without totally offending a circus performer some day down the road because you got used to saying ACROBRAT

------------------
Well I'm a Bada$$ cowboy living in a cowboy day wicky-wicky-wak yo yo bang bang
me and Artemus Clydefrog go save Selma Hayek from the big metal spider
Wicky-wicky-wak wicky-wicky-wicky-wak
Bada$$ cowboy from the West Si-yiide

Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Certainly we have a big bonfire of Apple products going, don't we?

------------------
"Goverment exists to serve, not to lead. We do not exist by its volition, it exists by ours. Bear that in mind when you insult your neighbors for refusing to bow before it." J. Richmond, UB Student

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Adobe is unrelated to Apple, actually.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"It's easy to learn to drive a golf cart, but it's hard to express yourself in one." - Larry Wall

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just noticed that there might be a (non-official) relation in that Mac users seem to prefer Adobe products for some reason. I don't know any Windows user who has Illustrator (well, except for me).

And of course I don't know anyone who can draw smooth B�zier curves except for Doug Drexler (Apple user, I suppose - yes, this might be taken as a compliment). Maybe the user's ingeniuity is requirted to compensate for the lack of programming clarity.

------------------
"Species 5618, human. Warp-capable, origin grid 325, physiology inefficient, below average cranium capacity, minimum redundant systems, limited regenerative abilities."
Ex Astris Scientia

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps