Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Stupidest thing I've ever seen... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Stupidest thing I've ever seen...
Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And that's saying a lot.
http://my.netscape.com/news/TopStories/04_11_2000.rontz1906-story-bcnewsgunsphiladelphia.html

Lets sue knife makers too. Knives show up at crime scenes. Heck, violent crimes have been committed with stuff you find in a wood shop too.

Why not sue nuke manufacturers too?

------------------
"Goverment exists to serve, not to lead. We do not exist by its volition, it exists by ours. Bear that in mind when you insult your neighbors for refusing to bow before it." J. Richmond, UB Student

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You apparently never watch FOX.

(Pause, smile.)

------------------
"What did it mean to fly? A tremor in your soul. To resist the dull insistance of gravity."
--
Camper Van Beethoven

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And I doubt you've seen this:

quote:
RIVERSIDE--A gun manufacturer is partly to blame for the police shooting of a black motorist because it sold the weapon she had on her lap when she was killed, the city claimed in a lawsuit.

Lorcin Engineering Co. negligently marketed and distributed the .380-caliber gun Tyisha Miller had when she was found unresponsive in her car Dec. 28, 1998, according to the lawsuit filed Thursday.

Lorcin failed to educate or train users regarding the safe and correct way to use guns, the lawsuit said.

Four white police officers shot Miller after they found the 19-year-old from Rubidoux sitting unresponsive with a gun on her lap inside a locked and idling car at a gas station.

The officers, who were dismissed after the shooting, said they fired when Miller moved toward the weapon. Miller did not fire the gun, and investigators later determined that it was inoperable.

The racially charged case has attracted numerous protests to the desert community, which is about 60 miles east of Los Angeles.

Riverside officials want Lorcin to be listed as a co-defendant along with the city in a wrongful death lawsuit filed by Tyisha Miller's family, said Skip Miller, the city's attorney in this case.

"We think they bear significant responsibility," said Skip Miller, who is not related to Tyisha Miller. "This whole thing would not have occurred but for the presence of this loaded Lorcin L380. That gun should never have been there."

Activists in the case said the lawsuit was an effort by the city to shift blame from the officers who shot her.

Los Angeles Times

------------------
Compadres, it is imperative that we crush the freedom fighters before the start of the rainy season. And remember, a shiny new donkey for whoever brings me the head of Colonel Montoya.
~C. Montgomery Burns

And be sure to visit The Field Marshal project http://fieldmarshal.virtualave.net/

Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
AAAHHHHHHHH!

That's even worse!!

Do you have any idea what this could lead to? Lets sue snack companies for negligently marketing and selling food that has fat in it, something that could raise cholesterol... Or heck, lets sue restaurants for serving food that someone might choke on!! Cars kill people, lets sue Ford and GM for selling machines that could kill innocent victims...
Utterly disgusting!!!!!!!!!!!!

*has some seizures and faints*

------------------
"Goverment exists to serve, not to lead. We do not exist by its volition, it exists by ours. Bear that in mind when you insult your neighbors for refusing to bow before it." J. Richmond, UB Student

Epoch
Geology Rocks
Member # 136

- posted      Profile for Epoch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is so stupid I don't even know where to start. I absolutly hate people who make up such moronic lawsuits. Anything for money.

------------------
Death before Dishonor!
However Dishonor has
quite a disputed defintion.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I understand wanting to get guns off the street and keep them from being used in criminal activities. I even understand bringing lawsuits against companies for negligent behavior. But the problem with this kind of abuse of the courts is that it totally invalidates legitimate lawsuits and efforts that might actually help the situation.

------------------
"A gathering of Angels appeared above my head. They sang to me this song of hope, and this is what they said..." -Styx

Aban's Illustration www.thespeakeasy.com/alanfore

BlueElectron
Member # 281

- posted      Profile for BlueElectron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No offenise, but we all know that "some" people in the States "occationally" likes to sue whatever just for the hell of it.

Not to mention that State have a justice system that let O.J. Simpson walked away like a clean piece of paper, and ruled some cops innocent for shooting a African American for 40 times.

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, don't start with Amadu Diallo. Just don't start. I really don't feel like going over that again. I will, however, ask a question about it. Why did you say "african-american"? His race was irrelevant. So why mention it? Perhaps it's because you know that the case wouldn't have even been mentioned on the news if he wasn't. Hmm?

------------------
You are wise, witty, and wonderful, but you spend far too much time reading this sort of trash.

BlueElectron
Member # 281

- posted      Profile for BlueElectron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of course it's irrelevant, when 4 (or 3, I forgot) cops shoot a guy 40 times, then something is definitely going on, regardless of his race.

But the fact that he's a African American just made the entire case that much more......"interesting", because in this case rasicm can also be one of the cause.

Omega
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The four shot at him 41 times, hitting him 19. And the cause was that someone, seeing his wallet in the dim light, yelled "gun", leading them all to pull out their guns. Then someone fired a shot, then they all fired, and then they started thinking they were in a firefight. Thus the 41 rounds fired.

------------------
You are wise, witty, and wonderful, but you spend far too much time reading this sort of trash.

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, at least no one here was handcuffed to the glass elevator of the Bonnaventure Hotel...

...nevermind.....

------------------
"Life's a bitch, then you die"
-USS Vanderbilt, Vanderbuilt Class starship

Orion Syndicate
He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy!
Member # 25

- posted      Profile for Orion Syndicate     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It just goes to show the incompetence of some police officers when they mistake a wallet for a gun......

Either that or it's just a made up story after the event to try and justify what they did.

------------------
[This space is reserved for advertising]

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah? Try it sometime.

Go to a dark place. Take a friend. Have him walk into the shadows and pull something (the nature of which you can't know in advance) out of his pocket. see if you can imediately identify it from 20 or more feet away. Remember that you have only 1 second to do so (because if it were a gun, that's about how long it would take him to level and fire at you.)

------------------
"Nobody knows this, but I'm scared all the time... of what I might do, if I ever let go." -- Michael Garibaldi

Omega
Member # 91

Well, there was a witness, so they couldn't have just made up the story. He corroberated their story, including the fact that he appeared to remain standing until the end of the "firefight".

------------------

Constellation of One
Member # 332

- posted      Profile for Constellation of One     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Back to the lady from California and her sad story. I am terribly sorry she was killed, but.... Wake up and smell the coffee! No one forced her to sit there with a gun! And, if she was scared of being left alone, and if that was the reason she had the weapon out (as some newspaper accounts indicated), then why the heck did you fall asleep? Let's try to reconstruct her thought processes - "Hmmmm. I'm alone, scared, and its night. Oh, I'll just go sleepytime."

Sick and reprehensible as many gun manufacturers are, no one from the manufacturer forced that gun into her hands, and no one made her fumble for the weapon when the police officers tried to wake her up and find out of she was alright. Personally, I commend the police for taking the time to check on an apparently stranded and unresponsive motorist. Far too often we hear about the police not having the time or the initiative to help the common citizen, but the officers in question apparently did. Its just too bad that they were fired for doing their jobs.

Memo to self - don't pull gun on cops when they knock.

------------------
Everything in life I ever needed to know I learned from The Simpsons.

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps