Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » FRIDAY, APRIL 14TH, 2000: National Student day of action to.... (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: FRIDAY, APRIL 14TH, 2000: National Student day of action to....
Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unless I get the presidency before that. I'm sick of the hypocracy in foreign policy, too. We shouldn't deal with agressor nations, or nations with brutal dictators. Period. That includes China, Iraq, Cuba, and if they continue their present actions, Russia. Think what would happen if all US companies suddenly pulled out of China. What would happen to their economy?

------------------
You are wise, witty, and wonderful, but you spend far too much time reading this sort of trash.

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, China would have more problems if Japan pulled out instead. Maybe the US should make friends with a different Asian nation...

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"It's easy to learn to drive a golf cart, but it's hard to express yourself in one." - Larry Wall

Omega
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How 'bout we offer to make Japan a state? Our cultures have become so similar that it just might work. And South Korea, while we're at it. And if you really want to tick China off, Taiwan.

But seriously, I do think Japan would make a good state.

------------------
You are wise, witty, and wonderful, but you spend far too much time reading this sort of trash.

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Similar? For starters, try learning Japanese.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"It's easy to learn to drive a golf cart, but it's hard to express yourself in one." - Larry Wall

Omega
Member # 91

In Japan, a kid can bring a guitar to school and play during class. A hundred years ago, the teacher would have been well within her rights to beat the kid within an inch of his life. Now, if she so much as yells at him, he can sue her for assault. We've apparently exported some of the more stupid aspects of our culture. Too bad it didn't decrease the amount of them over here.

------------------

BlueElectron
Member # 281

- posted      Profile for BlueElectron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm a immigrant from Taiwan, I, for one, do not want to become a "Independent Taiwanese" yet. In the furture, maybe, but not now.

You'll be surprise how many Taiwanese thinks like me, since that only 39% of the votes went to the independent party. The Nationalist would have won, but due to some stupid conflicts within the party, Nationalist end up with 2 canadates competiting with each other. Still, Nationalist got about 60.5% of the votes.

I'm pretty sure when other countries when deal with such "minority election", they would call for another election, since that it's pretty clear that the winner doesn't really represent the people. But us the Taiwanese are stupid enough to let it go.

And you'll be surprised to learn where the independenlist got their winning votes from; they got their votes from the southern part of the island, where the people are....how should we say...not very well educated.

I'm not saying that we embrassed the idea of a communist rule, or a military invation, but most of us sure are proud to be "Chinese" (without the blood-shed).

And not to be offensive or anything, we are freaking tired of American aircraft carriers in our territoral sea, geez, couldn't you guys butt out for once and let Chinese people solve their own differences?

------------------
Okey, okey, here's my question:

If you are an immortal, do you "rot" simply because of the
nuclear decay of the Carbon-14 particles inside your body?

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
People lose sight of what's really important in favor of continuing the status quo, in which they have vested interests.

For instance, Iraq. What is our goal? Simply ousting a leader is insufficient, as the next one could be just as bad if not worse. If our goal is to extend to the Iraqi people some of the rights that we in the West see as universal, then it seems clear that the sanctions against Iraq need to be reexamined. Not because they are a bad idea, but because they simply don't appear to be working.

------------------
"What did it mean to fly? A tremor in your soul. To resist the dull insistance of gravity."
--
Camper Van Beethoven

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First: Distribution agents? Could you clarify that?

Orion: Good Point.

I saw this editorial in the Toronto Star today. What think you, huh? Please note that I do not neccessarily agree with any opinions stated in this editorial piece.

April 22, 2000
Ease Iraq sanctions

Saddam Hussein would rather see his 22 million people suffer than bow to international law. His contempt for Canada's offer this week of $1 million to help re-equip hospitals and schools shows monstrous indifference to their welfare. Iraq's misery will end only when he no longer is in power.

Yet Prime Minister Jean Chr�tien's government remains determined, and rightly so, to do what it can for ordinary Iraqis despite Saddam.

Ottawa will deliver its help directly through the Red Cross and UNICEF.

This sterile confrontation illustrates how difficult a time the United Nations Security Council can have, restraining regimes that threaten the peace by using sanctions, rather than making war on them. Sanctions have been used 14 times, mostly in the past decade, with mixed success.

While the Security Council continues, as it should, to enforce strict military sanctions on Saddam's regime, its economic embargo has been relaxed to the point where Iraq is exporting more oil than it did before the Gulf War a decade ago, and can use two-thirds of the revenue to buy food and medicine.

Sanctions will be lifted entirely, of course, if Saddam lets U.N. weapons inspectors return to Baghdad to certify that he no longer has nuclear, chemical or biological weapons, and missiles.

But Canada should argue the case for further relaxing even the current, less stringent sanctions, whatever he does. Iraq should be free to import the equipment it needs to spur oil production. More aid should be delivered. And the U.N. should ease its requirement that much of the oil revenues be earmarked for war reparations.

These measures could put billions worth of food, medicine and other help, into the peoples' hands, without unduly aiding the regime.

Rethinking the Iraq sanctions is part of a broader, and welcome, effort to make sanctions generally ``more effective and more humane,'' as Foreign Affairs Minister Lloyd Axworthy put it in a Security Council debate this week.

Sanctions need to be better-targeted, to hammer criminal regimes but spare people. They should be more flexible, and closely monitored to ensure that they are effective and not having unintended consequences. They should be used with incentives like security assurances, aid, trade, debt relief, and above all, generous humanitarian relief.

Sanctions committees should operate more transparently. And the Security Council should consider putting ``sunset clauses'' on sanctions, so that the council would revisit them if they fail to deliver the desired results, rather than let ineffective measures continue indefinitely as is the case now.

``Smarter'' sanctions might have hurt Saddam's regime more and caused less suffering to his oppressed people.

------------------
"My Name is Elmer Fudd, Millionaire. I own a Mansion and a Yacht."
Psychiatrist: "Again."

[This message has been edited by Tahna Los (edited April 22, 2000).]

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, but do they have any idea what these so-called 'relaxed sanctions' should actually BE??

------------------
"Nobody knows this, but I'm scared all the time... of what I might do, if I ever let go." -- Michael Garibaldi

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps