Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Have humanity takes a turn for the better? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Have humanity takes a turn for the better?
BlueElectron
Member # 281

- posted      Profile for BlueElectron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We have come a long way since the first recorded history. Human has discover compassion, justice, and we even achieve the understanding of that gray area within that big picture of black and white.

Here is a thought. Tonight I happen to catch the "court sequence" of the new episode Ally McBell (spelling? Who cares, I don't even like the show). For those of you who haven't seen it, I'll fill you in. A wife caught his husband cheating with his physical therapist. The wife beat the husband to death with his prosthetic leg. It was found not guilty for 1st, 2nd degree murder, and manslaughter on the count of "temporary insanity" for the defendent.
(Mind you that this is not the first time that the show came up with screwed up cases with screwed up verdicts.)

I can understand the rage; I sympathize with the wife, the husband is wrong to cheat in the first place. Hell, I can even understand that the rage should be taken into account for the jury to rule the case.

But not guilty for all three counts, and just walks away as a free person?

Is this fairness or justice to the person that died?

Is this the matericals that we build moral and responsibility for our citizens, and most importantly, our children? (Dadi, I broke Fredy's arm, but he stole my most favourite toy in the first place, so I'm justify on temporary insanity!).

Ladies and Gentlemen, I hereby give you the reason why our society is getting worse by the years. This is not the main cause, but it's a small piece that fit into a much larger puzzle. Most of you may think that, "hey, it's just a show, relax." But remember, it is one of the more popular show, what does that say about us?

I also give you the absolute "black and white" on a world that fixate on the gray area, and a world where I question justice and common sense of humanity more and more often.

------------------
Okey, okey, here's my question:

If you are an immortal, do you "rot" simply because of the
nuclear decay of the Carbon-14 particles inside your body?

Fructose
Member # 309

- posted      Profile for Fructose     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As for the "its just a show" part, you know sometimes that make the stuff a little satrical so they can be funny and make a point all at once. I think that's what they try to get at with that show. I never watch it, but the comersials make everything seems to be to the extreem. Kinda like watching the Simpsons, its a satire about the stupid things in life. You may want to look up some more info about the whole temporally insane deal to see what it realy entails. There would most undoubtedly be some other reprocussions to the temp insane thing. And I think the temp insane thing is used much more on TV that it ever could be in real life.

------------------
It doesn't matter if you don't know what you're doing as long as you look good doing it.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd be interested in seeing a cite for this claim that society is in a state of epic degradation. I can't speak for you, but I rather like living in a time where central heating, internal plumbing, and free libraries have been invented.

------------------
"What did it mean to fly? A tremor in your soul. To resist the dull insistance of gravity."
--
Camper Van Beethoven

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also, to address the specific issue, insanity pleas are almost never used, for the simple fact that they usually fail.

------------------
"What did it mean to fly? A tremor in your soul. To resist the dull insistance of gravity."
--
Camper Van Beethoven

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And you have to go through treatment when they do work, IIRC.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"Frank, sometimes you are frightening on a scale that boggles the human imagination." - Krenim

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Libraries aren't free. NOTHING is free, save solar energy. (and then you need the price of a good collector to recieve it.)

that aside...

That's why I've always liked the verdict "Guilty but Insane," used but sparingly in rare cases. Basically it means that although the perpetrator is insane, he/she is still guilty of committing the crime, and will be treated for insanity, and THEN punished for the crime.

------------------
"Nobody knows this, but I'm scared all the time... of what I might do, if I ever let go." -- Michael Garibaldi

Gaseous Anomaly
Member # 114

- posted      Profile for Gaseous Anomaly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(totally off-topic, but...)

Isn't your mind free, First? I know, you've an awful lot of shit going down at the moment in your life, but at least when you close your eyes there is the definite and ever-present ability to slip away to wherever you mind desires, to do whatever you want whenever you want. And that, in it's uniqueness, is priceless.

A load of old 80's sentiment, I know, but prove me wrong.

------------------
Devil: Oh look at the time! I'm late for services.
Stone: Services?
Devil: A group of young teenagers that have been celebrating the Black Sabbath are planning on deep-sixing their gym teacher tonight. I'm gonna go and give them a little encouragement.

Brimstone. May it rest in syndication.

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We're talking about different definitions of the word "free." But you've probably realized that.

I'm talking 'free' as in 'no monetary cost'... although if you're TOO 'free' with your mind, and slip away whenever... it can end up costing you a LOT. monetarily speaking.

------------------
"Nobody knows this, but I'm scared all the time... of what I might do, if I ever let go." -- Michael Garibaldi

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are moronic lawyers out there who just do anything for money. Even get convicted rapists and murderers free on minor technicalities.

Shame on that lawyer.

------------------
"My Name is Elmer Fudd, Millionaire. I own a Mansion and a Yacht."
Psychiatrist: "Again."

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

Como se dice... "Public Defender?"

Not an easy job, but somebody HAS to do it. In their case, that's their JOB.

Can we not remember "Measure of a Man," when Riker was forced to be the attorney for the "plaintiff" against DATA? Did he not try to win? It's the same thing, just in reverse...

Remember to leave these people out, when what you're really talking about is the Johnnie Cochrans of the world.

Or do we now prefer the Cardassian system of justice?

------------------

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

Actually, the libraries are completely and utterly free. I don't live inside the zone taxed for them. But beyond that, I assume you get my point.

Then again, where I live, we may see the regional library system shut down by various municipal governments because the libraries contain full access to the internet, so there's always a trade off.

------------------
--
Camper Van Beethoven

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

Where I live, if you live outside the "taxation area" (which most people here do, since the townships stupidly refuse to contribute), the library has to charge you in order to serve you, to maintain a balance ed economy. I mean, if we're budgeted to serve 10,000 people, but 50,000 want to use our resources, a disparity would develop rather quickly. We simply couldn't provide enough material to serve a much larger community.

So, we charge a non-resident fee of $30.00 a year to folks who live outside the city. Some whine and bitch, but when you explain to them that that's getting access to some 80,000 books for the cost of ONE, they often clam up.
OR, people who live outside have the option of joining ACCESS PA, an interlibrary loan system, through which the state pays us a certain amound for every book circulated via the system.

One of my favorite "I WISH I could say this" line to use when somebody's moaning about the services the Library offers is "Your taxes aren't high enough to pay for it."

------------------

Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Richmond Memorial Library where I live is interesting how it works... There's a fund where people donate money, and it is specifically used for funding the library here. I don't know if we get taxed for it, but I know that the School BoE frequently has a say when Richmond needs major repairing or upgrades. Library cards for the books are free for anyone in Western NY, but extra fees come from video rentals and online usage(like $10 a year for a computer pass).

------------------
"No children have ever meddled with the Republican Party and have lived to tell about it." Sideshow Bob

BlueElectron
Member # 281

- posted      Profile for BlueElectron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In my opinion, insanity plea should be seperate from criminal charges.

The jury and the court first decide rather the defendent is guilty or not, then they decide whether the defendent should be treated in a mental institution , or carry out the sentences immediately.

------------------
Okey, okey, here's my question:

If you are an immortal, do you "rot" simply because of the
nuclear decay of the Carbon-14 particles inside your body?

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Humbly Agree, BlueElectron

------------------
"My Name is Elmer Fudd, Millionaire. I own a Mansion and a Yacht."
Psychiatrist: "Again."

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps