Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Money Rain! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Money Rain!
BlueElectron
Member # 281

- posted      Profile for BlueElectron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess you've all heard about the deal of the TV Sitcom "Friends"

$750,000 per actors per episode.

This add up to a astronomical 240 million American dollars by the end of the next two seasons, which is 44 episode!

This more then the study of the effects by Agent Orange on war veteran in Vietnam!

This is also more then the GDP of Dominican Republic!

Hell, it's more then these two combine!

When a nation spend so much money on entertainment(or ONE FREAKIN' SINGLE SHOW!) and cry about how they have crime, education, gun, and healthcare problems...

Personally, I can't think of a better word other then "sick"!

------------------
Okey, okey, here's my question:

If you are an immortal, do you "rot" simply because of the
nuclear decay of the Carbon-14 particles inside your body?

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And there you have it in a nutshell.

--Baloo

------------------
"When you�re a geek . . .
You�re a geek all the way,
From your first sci-fi con
To your last dying day."
-- James Lileks
http://www.geocities.com/cyrano_jones.geo/

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So I guess what we need is a government agency to determine what Americans should really value? Lovely.

------------------
"Oh, it's an anti-anti-WTO song. It's essentially a pro-Starbucks song. I saw this picture of a guy sticking his foot through a plate-glass window in a Starbucks in Seattle, and he was wearing a Nike. Man, couldn't you just change your shoes?"
--
M. Doughty

Saiyanman Benjita
...in 2012. This time, why not the worst?
Member # 122

- posted      Profile for Saiyanman Benjita     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
FRIENDS SUCKS!!! they don't deserve that sort of money.

------------------
Well I'm a Bada$$ cowboy living in a cowboy day wicky-wicky-wak yo yo bang bang
me and Artemus Clydefrog go save Selma Hayek from the big metal spider
Wicky-wicky-wak wicky-wicky-wicky-wak
Bada$$ cowboy from the West Si-yiide

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sol is overreacting again.

However:
"One of the surest signs that a society is in decline is that it begins to believe that its athletes and entertainers are people of importance." -- R.A. Heinlein.

Granted, I'd like to see our priorities change, but that's not likely to happen while we continue to allow the stupid people to control how things are done. Face it, we, as a nation, LIKE our mindless, escapist, all problems happily-resolved in 30 minutes or less entertainment.

"The T.V.... I've been... Hyp-No-Tized, by the T.V...." -- Zorak, SG,CTC

"Don't you know that crap is king, give us dirty laundry..." -- Don Henley

------------------
"Nobody knows this, but I'm scared all the time... of what I might do, if I ever let go." -- Michael Garibaldi

BlueElectron
Member # 281

- posted      Profile for BlueElectron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Who said anything about the government?

Dude, all I'm saying is that it's just not fair when actors are easily making millions when teachers have a hard time keeping up financially with the society(vise versa for those who contributed far, far more and receive far less then they deserve!).

This is just nuts, I mean granted every job has its' uniquness and importance in our society(I totally respect actors, professional athletes and such). But man, if I'm one of those brilliant minds who is making space travel into a reality, working on medicines curing countless deseases, teaching our kids good moral values, keeping crimes out of the streets(need I go on?) PLUS busting my ass working more then 8 hours a day, kicking myself in the head every tax season, starving myself when my kids go to college, and I go home, feeling all beat up, turn on the tv, find out some cuties been making millions(and I do mean MILLIONS) by working 5 hours a day in a nice studio...

I'll tell you what I feel, I'll be f*!king pissed!(plus driving down to the NBC headquarter with a machine gun, but we won't go there...)

Who EVEN DARE to say that Tom Cruse worth more then Einstin, but damn, I bet Einstin not making millions!

Face it, If we blow up Holloywood(along with all those stars), nothing's gonna change, but, how about killing all the teachers in US?

Man, you decide!

------------------

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, that's it, I'm overreacting. Every time someone even breathes the word gun it's cause for an NRA campaign drive, but god forbid I should get a little cautious at attempts to objectively define cultural standards?

------------------
"Oh, it's an anti-anti-WTO song. It's essentially a pro-Starbucks song. I saw this picture of a guy sticking his foot through a plate-glass window in a Starbucks in Seattle, and he was wearing a Nike. Man, couldn't you just change your shoes?"
--
M. Doughty

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
An NRA campaign drive? Wouldn't I have to be a member to run a campaign?

*Checks wallet*

Nope.

*shrugs*

"You know what they say about assumptions... it makes an ass out of you and umption." -- Samuel Jackson, "Pulp Fiction"

------------------
"Nobody knows this, but I'm scared all the time... of what I might do, if I ever let go." -- Michael Garibaldi

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

I'd really love to argue with you, but I make it a policy to agree with anyone who routinely quotes Samuel L. Jackson, so...

------------------
--
M. Doughty

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Who EVEN DARE to say that Tom Cruse worth more then Einstin, but damn, I bet Einstin not making millions!

You're right. Einstien isn't making Millions. He's dead.

------------------
"Hello and welcome to 'Whose Line Is It Anyway?' The show where everything's made up and the points don't matter - just like a condom to a Trekkie." - Drew Carey, Whose Line Is It Anyway?

BlueElectron
Member # 281

I meant even when he's alive!

------------------

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, the man who paved the way for us to blow ourselves up in bigger and better ways? He'd make a fortune.

Besides, the problem here isn't the cast. They asked for it. they got it. If you were in the same situation, you'd ask for as much money as possible too. And if you say "No, I'd donate all my money to the space-program, or to feed the poor starving potatoes in Ireland", then, quite frankly, bollocks.

NBC can afford to pay them that much. Why? Because advertisers give them that much money. Why? Because you lot go out and buy crap. Come on, is that Star Trek pillow-case and matching condom set REALLY worth it?

------------------
*Amusing quote not available, please call back later*

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

Actually, I WOULD donate any surplus in my salary over $90,000 a year (enough to kep me and Julie comfy and support our book habits) to the Space Program or science educational funds like the NSF. Anybody who doubts me is welcome to fund me and find out.

------------------

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh! Oh!

Me too!

Fund me too!

------------------
"Nice guys don't finish last. (Sometimes we last for hours. ;))"
-- Me
http://www.geocities.com/cyrano_jones.geo/

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

Incidentally, I read a journal article today on the dearth of pay for professional librarians. In a place like New York City, which, having a huge population, should need many libraries and well-trained staff to run them, the starting salary for a public librarian WITH an MLS is $35,000 a year. THIS, in a place where it's considered 'miraculous' to find an apartment for less that $1000 a month.

And out here in the boondocks, I'd do... um... well, probably some things I'd otherwise find morally repugnant, for such a high salary.

I mean, criminy! ONE member of the cast of "Friends" will make more in THREE episodes than our ENTIRE YEARLY BUDGET for a library staffed with 2 full-time professionals, 4 other full-time staff members, and two part-timers, plus everything from all our books for the year down to the replacement for the ink-jet cartridge.

America, your priorities are screwed. You've had your bread and circuses long enough. Change, or die.

------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps