Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » It doesn't sting much if I don't pick at it...

Author Topic: It doesn't sting much if I don't pick at it...
Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I explained earlier that I might divulge a few details regarding my most recent "adventure" (read: divorce). I'm doing this not so much to unburden my soul as for theraputic reasons. If this turns out to be the wrong forum for it, I'm sure The_Tom will move this thread (and hopefully leave a forwarding address so I can find it).

The day before the court appearance, I discovered, through my Attorney, that I had been legally divorced from That Woman (hereinafter referred to as "TW" since December 21st of 1999. The final details (child support, division of property, etc.), were to be decided before the Judge.

On April 18, 2000, the Judge decided that TW and I would swap cars (I wound up with the minivan, but she has to pay for the Chrysler), and that she would retain all other property in her possession, and I would retain all property in mine. Well, I suppose I can someday replace the washer and dryer.

We have joint custody of Jordan (my son). This means that I have him every Tuesday for 3 hours, and alternating weekends. Plus, I'll have him for 2 weeks in the summer. She gets him the rest of the time.

TW also gets approximately 1/4 of my take-home pay for child support. I don't begrudge a penny of it as long as it's actually used to support Jordan. However, this leaves me paying a large number of bills we accumulated jointly, for which she retains the actual property. While I haven't got any disposable income to speak of. For example, if I want to take in a movie, I might have to skip lunch one or two days (or make dinner of a sandwich -- not a bad prospect, actually). If I want to go out and possibly meet someone, it had better be at the laundromat or the library.

I'm not as bitter as I was, and my prospects of getting the bills caught up and maybe doing something for fun (apart from reading or watching TV) is not far off (perhaps 2 or 3 months, if I'm a real tight-fisted S.O.B. ). For now, I just go to work and come home. At least I still have the dog.

--Baloo

------------------
"Nice guys don't finish last. (Sometimes we last for hours. ;))"
-- Me
http://www.geocities.com/cyrano_jones.geo/

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Baloo, you have my sympathy. And like you said, you at least still have the dog.

------------------
Oh, goody, the Sea Monkeys I ordered have arrived. Heh heh heh, look at them cavort and caper.
~C. Montgomery Burns

And be sure to visit The Field Marshal project http://fieldmarshal.virtualave.net/

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This would probably not be out of place in the Lounge, if someone wanted to move it. I don't see anyone disagreeing with you, Baloo. And if they do, we'll hit them.

------------------
"While it is true that 15% of home accidents are caused by large penis related incidents, only a small number have ever been known to be fatal."

Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You also seem to have a computer and internet access, so that's also a plus. :-)

------------------
"No children have ever meddled with the Republican Party and have lived to tell about it." Sideshow Bob

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, it's an ancient computer, but it still works.

Bonus: I finally managed to reinstall IE5.01, and this time it works! Goodbye, Netscape confuser. Ye were a good help while I deeded ye, but your constant locking up, refusing to respond to keyboard imputs, and glacial slowness enable me to kick yer tuchass off me computer with nary a twitch of conscience!

--Baloo

------------------
"Nice guys finish last? I'll say we do!
(Sometimes we last for hours.)"
-- Me

Xentrick
good to go
Member # 64

- posted      Profile for Xentrick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
does TW have a regular job? Is she skipping lunch?
Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

Apparently, she hasn't been skipping lunches, and according to one phone message I had from her place of employment a couple weeks ago, she hasn't told her boss about her new address and phone number. I called and gave them the correct information -- I hope she didn't mind .

--Baloo

------------------
-- Me

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yikes. Though I imagine that you have probably already brought this up with the proper authorities if you think it merits it.

------------------
"While it is true that 15% of home accidents are caused by large penis related incidents, only a small number have ever been known to be fatal."
Read chapter one of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"!

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Out side of a dog, a book is a mans best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. G. Marx

------------------
Fool of a Took, throw yourself in next time!!
Gandalf

Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Curry Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the long term, money aside you're far better off. At least you have peace of mind when you are at home, rather than conflict.

------------------
"Remeber, if there is a nuclear explosion, be sure to close your windows as the massive heat could cause objects within your home to catch fire".

Wise, wise words.

Teelie
Member # 280

- posted      Profile for Teelie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Divorces. Aren't they so much fun?
I think everyone should try them sometime...

Seriously though. That sucks. It's too bad about how you got screwed on the settlement. I think you got screwed at least.... damned lawyers (if there are any lawyers here, then "you bastards!" [just teasing] )

------------------
Ex-Admin at the TrekBBS.com

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

Don't apologize. They killed Kenny!

~~Baloo

------------------
-- Me

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps