Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Since it's been so long... evolution! (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Since it's been so long... evolution!
Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shik:

The point is that we don't know what KIND of wood. No one knows what this "gopher" wood was. It's easily possible that all the "gopher" trees are gone now, and thus we can't know its structural properties.

Sol:

If you have a problem with my model, point it out. Your previous pointless statements about it I shall ignore, as they serve no purpose.

"I can't remember you pointing out a single bit of evidence anywhere ever that was not refuted."

Trrevor Norman and Barry Setterfield, "The Atomic Constants, Light, and Time", self-published, 1987.

T.C. Van Flandern, "Is the Gravitational Constant Changing?", The Astrophysical Journal, Vol. 248, 1 Sept. 1981, pp. 813-816.

"You might want to take your own advice and learn what radiocarbon dating is used for. Here's a hint, not for dating rocks."

Did I ever IMPLY that I thought it was for dating rocks?

"given the dimensions and construction materials in the "unerring" Bible"

Having the dimensions and having a detailed blueprint are hardly the same thing, and as I've pointed out, we don't know the structural properties of the material used to build the thing.

I certainly hope that an extinct species of tree doesn't constitute a lost supertechnology.

------------------
"To disarm the people [is] the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
- George Mason, American Statesman and Author of the Virginia Declaration of Rights (1776)

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"If you have a problem with my model, point it out."

Point out that it is complete and utter nonsense, with absolutely no connection to reality and that the only difference between it and Gene Ray's more lucid rantings is its brevity?

"Trrevor Norman and Barry Setterfield, "The Atomic Constants, Light, and Time", self-published, 1987."

Oh boy, the theory of c-decay! Uh, you do realize that Barry Setterfield's work was so full of holes that the Institute of Creation Research itself rejected it in 1988 in their "Acts and Facts" publication? Or that, as I recall, First and I posted long lists of everything that was wrong with the theory the last time we went through this?

I must confess I haven't been able to find any reference to the other article you've cited. The journal in question only has an online catalouge extending back to 1996.

"Did I ever IMPLY that I thought it was for dating rocks?"

"It's another time that evolutionists assume a value to have always been constant, when there's good reason to assume it hasn't."

Well, seeing as how you imply that in this sentence that radiocarbon dating provides support for the evolutionary model, when in fact it can't measure dates much beyond...gosh...12,000 years, isn't it? At any rate, hardly enough to be a cornerstone of the model.

------------------
But the dead only quickly decay. They don't go about being born and reborn and rising and falling like souffle. The dead only quickly decay.
--
Gothic Archies
Read chapter one of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! For the love of God, Montressor!

Omega
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's not a legitimate problem. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it doesn't work. Now if you COULD point out a legitimate problem, I'd be glad to change my tune.

'Bout the only thing First posted on this last time was that some guy did a study with hardly any mathematics involved with the specific intention to derive a curve from the legitimately obtained data points that fit his theories. You all seemed to think that if someone uses data to draw in illegitimate conclusion, that makes the data themselves illegitimate. Obviously not a valid conclusion.

Again, I never implied that carbon dating was good for dating rocks, nor for greater than 10 millenia or so. Tec seemed to think that. And the date being accurate DOES rely on the amount of C14(?) in the atmosphere remaining constant.

------------------
- George Mason, American Statesman and Author of the Virginia Declaration of Rights (1776)

Diane
aka Tora Ziyal
Member # 53

- posted      Profile for Diane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I really don't see the point of this thread any more. Isn't it clear to any of you now that no matter what evidence you can bring up, no one on the other side is going to believe it even if it's true? As for Omega, you seem to think believing in Creationism and some biblical miracles is all that's required to convert "unbelievers" (I hate that word. It's alienation verbalized). Is Creation more important than "love thy neighbors"?

By all means, keep arguing.

------------------
"One more day before the storm
At the barricades of freedom!
When our ranks begin to form
Will you take your place with me?"
--Enjolras, "One Day More," Les Miserables

[This message has been edited by Tora Ziyal (edited July 04, 2000).]

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No. Keep arguing.

For one, it's hugely entertaining.

For another, they're actually bringin out evidence. okay, so it's evidence that's almost two decades old in some cases, but who says that when quoting sources to back up your argument, you should try and quote recent studies. No-one. Ever.

And finally, I read something First posts without having to eat my hand to stop from screaming "Just let go of the bloody gun thing. Just once!"

But to summerise, in one corner we have Simon Sizer, FirstIdon'tknowhisrealnameofTwo, and Einstein. And in the other, we have Omega. I'm siding with the guys who are old enough to have sex. Plus Simon's surname is very similar to one of the hardest bad-ass Pokemon there is.

*opens a can of larger and sits back* Carry on!

------------------
"I can't believe we're actually gonna meet Guru Lou. Everyone says he's the wisest man in the universe. He's sensitive, creative, has a great sense of humour, and he's a really smooth dancer. *giggles*"
"You're confused Polly. We're not meeting Paul Newman."
- Polly & Speedy; Samurai Pizza Cats

Omega
Member # 91

I must agree with Ziyal. There's not much point to this anymore.

But...

"Is Creation more important than "love thy neighbors"?"

Hey, "love thy neighbor" and "don't try to convince your neighbor that he's wrong" are two seperate things.

And who says I'm not old enough, Liam?

------------------

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Er, you did when you said you were 15. Or did I imagne that? (Possibly due to some form of evil drug. Wait, they're all evil. Especially the social ones.)

------------------
"I can't believe we're actually gonna meet Guru Lou. Everyone says he's the wisest man in the universe. He's sensitive, creative, has a great sense of humour, and he's a really smooth dancer. *giggles*"

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very good. Now go read a book. Preferably "Brave New World."

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"Canadian bacon is called that because it's made from Canadians. And while I'm on the subject, could you people cut back on the fish and rodents and eat more fruits and berries? It would vastly improve your flavor, in my opinion." - Simon Sizer

Omega
Member # 91

I tried that one. Couldn't get through it. Half way through the book was all I got, and I couldn't get any further. There didn't seem to be any real plot...

And I believe my legal status as to sex is dependant upon the age of my hypothetical partner.

------------------

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

Er, it is? In which world exactly?

(We got out of reading Brave New World. That was the other English class. We got 1984, which was much better.)

------------------

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You'd think that reading 1984 would help someone understand the necessity of the private ownership of guns.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"Canadian bacon is called that because it's made from Canadians. And while I'm on the subject, could you people cut back on the fish and rodents and eat more fruits and berries? It would vastly improve your flavor, in my opinion." - Simon Sizer

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hell, I learned it from reading about the Inquisition and such... imagine if someone had opened up on Torquemada's men with an AK-47...

*chuckles with glee*

------------------
"Nobody knows this, but I'm scared all the time... of what I might do, if I ever let go." -- Michael Garibaldi

Diane
aka Tora Ziyal
Member # 53

- posted      Profile for Diane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, Liam. Now I'm gonna start calling Sol "Simon Scyther."

------------------
"One more day before the storm
At the barricades of freedom!
When our ranks begin to form
Will you take your place with me?"
--Enjolras, "One Day More," Les Miserables

Omega
Member # 91

Well, since the laws vary from state to state...

But I'm just going by what I overheard a thirteen year old talking about.

Yeah, 1984 was COOL! Love that sense of all-enveloping evil. The illegitimate sequel wasn't all that good, though.

------------------

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There was an illegitimate sequel?

And BNW is one odd book. The plot is basically non-existant, although it does come into its own two-thirds of the way in.

------------------
"Truth about Santa Claus debunks Santa God. God evolves from Santa."
-Gene Ray, http://www.timecube.com

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps