Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Five words (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Five words
Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Curry Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since I have heard so many people suggest (some in jest and some seriously) that Americans are rather ignorant of anything beyond their borders I'd like to have a little experiment. If nothing else it should provide a few laughs.

Here's the rules, I type in a word or phrase. You give me a small phrase (if a phrase) or a maximum of 5 words (if a word) in reply to my original statement. This will only work IF you do NOT use any reference material at all. Just the knowledge that is in your heads thanks. (Any Aussies, Canadians or Brits please do participate). One other thing, try not to look at other peoples answers, until AFTER you have posted.

Ok here goes.

Give me a (max) 5 words that you relate with Tunisia.

What is a Mesjid?

Where are the Kunlun Shan?

On what Peninsula is Vladivostock.

Name the highest Mountain in South America.

Name the highest Volcano in South America.

Who is Atal Behari Vajpayee?

What is the Marinaras Trench?

What is Kilamanjaro?

If I was 'knocking back a few coldies' what would I be doing?

What is the official language of Tierra Del Fuego?

What is a Panthera Pardus?
-----

Try those.

------------------
"Remeber, if there is a nuclear explosion, be sure to close your windows as the massive heat could cause objects within your home to catch fire".

Wise, wise words.

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't qualify, since I'm Canadian.

Okay, I'll answer.

Give me a (max) 5 words that you relate with Tunisia

An Island close to France

I know the general location of Vladivostock. I believe the peninsula in question is on the northeast side of Russia.

Prime Minister of India. And it was Nawaz Sharif of Pakistan who was kicked out of power in a coup (for those who may get the two confused. Or did I get myself confused?)

The lowest point on earth. In plain english, it is the lowest trench (a dip in the earth) in the oceans. Located somewhere in the Pacific.

What is Kilamanjaro?

Rings a bell, but gotta think about it.

------------------
"My Name is Elmer Fudd, Millionaire. I own a Mansion and a Yacht."
Psychiatrist: "Again."

[This message has been edited by Tahna Los (edited June 29, 2000).]

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting. I'll look these up afterwards.

Tunisia: Africa, Lybia (borders, of course), Mediteranian, small, Tunis

No clue about Mesjids or the Kunlun Shan.

Vladivostok: I'm not sure if it's a peninsula, but it's in the general area known as Manchuria. (More than five words. Sue me.)

S.A.: It's in Chile, I think.

Volcano: No clue here. I'd guess that it's probably the same mountain.

No idea who Atal Behari Vajpayee is.

The Marianas trench is the deepest spot in the Pacific (or anywhere else).

Kilamanjaro is the tallest mountain in Africa. Extinct volcano, I believe.

Knocking back a few coldies would seem to be some sort of bar lingo, and I don't spend much time in bars (for an obvious reason). I'd guess it means to drink beer or some other alcoholic beverage.

I believe they speak Spanish in Tierra del Fuego.

No clue about the last one.

------------------
"To disarm the people [is] the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
- George Mason, American Statesman and Author of the Virginia Declaration of Rights (1776)

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Dunno.

What is a Mesjid?

Dunno.

Dunno.

One in Russia, I guess.

Dunno.

Dunno.

Dunno (sounds Persian?).

Really deep, in Pacific Ocean.

What is Kilamanjaro?

A mountain, I forget where.

Drinking, or inverting an ostrich.

I'd say Italian or Portuguese.

Dunno.

Meins with gas�kjan thus: Hvas kar�th sa?

------------------
June is National Accordion Awareness Month.
"People are buried however they choose to be, apparently. Unless you've never written your will, in which case your body is shipped to Meltakron V and reanimated to serve as a robot in their yttrium mines." - Simon Sizer

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(Ahem)....

"Harrison Ford got dysentery there." Not what you're looking for? OK, then..."Hot North African desert country."

What is a Mesjid?
A mosque.

Extending 2300 miles from the Pamir Highland in central Asia to the western border of China.

Kamchatka.

Mt. Aconcagua.

Also Mt. Aconcagua, even though it's extinct.

Prime Minister of India.

Home to the deepest point on earth, the Challenger Deep.

What is Kilamanjaro?
Highest mountain in Africa. Hemingway had a thing for it.

Drinking or beating the hell out of some Canadians.

Primarily Spanish, but there was an Italian settlement in 1948 in the Argentinian area, so I suppose they speak Italian there, eh?

A leopard.

------------------
"Do you know how much YOU'RE worth??.....2.5 million Woolongs. THAT'S your bounty. I SAID you were small fry..." --Spike Spiegel

Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Curry Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And now things get interesting.

Frank said: Meins with gas�kjan thus: Hvas kar�th sa?
Well, I do.

------------------
"Remeber, if there is a nuclear explosion, be sure to close your windows as the massive heat could cause objects within your home to catch fire".

Wise, wise words.

[This message has been edited by Daryus Aden (edited June 30, 2000).]

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
    North-western Africa, right near...

What is a Mesjid?

A what??? Really, now. I'm sure you use that one in daily conversation, too.

Why? Are they missing?

Is it okay to describe it? I can't remember the name, but it's at the far eastern edge of the Asian continent, north of the Kurile (sp?) islands. If you went any farther east, you'd cross the international date line.

Nope, can't recall. I used to know this one, too. I learned in from a Disney flick produced in WW II, and it got me extra credit in Geography class, too! Yet another fact gobbled up by disuse!

Nope! Forgot that one, too.

Nope. Sorry. Drawing a blank on this one.

Marinaras?!? Hmmm... It's a deep ocean trench filled with a red Italian sauce usually found on pasta. If you're talking about the Marianas trench, however, it's the deepest underwater crevasse in the world, and it's located south of japan but (I think) north of the Phillipines.

What is Kilamanjaro?

I believe it is the tallest peak on the African continent. Precisely where in Africa escapes me. That's why I own reference books.[/i]

[list]I p[resume you'd be drinking beer in a pub. If not, why aren't you? It's [summer[/i] for G-d's sake!

I have to guess this one. It's either Spanish or Patagonian.

Guess: Is it a jaguar?

Not even a guess: It's what a panther says after it eats a tourist -- "*UUUUuuuurrrrrrrp!* Pardus me!"

So. Did I win? What's my prize?

~~Baloo

------------------
Beer lovers take note:
Stroh's spelled backwards is "shorts."

http://www.geocities.com/cyrano_jones.geo/

[This message has been edited by Baloo (edited June 30, 2000).]

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think I invaded Kamchatka last time I played Risk.

And is this really a flame?

------------------
Oh, goody, the Sea Monkeys I ordered have arrived. Heh heh heh, look at them cavort and caper.
~C. Montgomery Burns

And be sure to visit The Field Marshal project http://fieldmarshal.virtualave.net/

Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

Well I suppose it is as there is the underlying assumption that "Americans are a bunch of stupid ignorant gits". Fact or fiction? But yes, as far as I am concerned its a flameish topic.

------------------

Wise, wise words.

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I ain't no git! For that matter, I don't think that most posters here are either....even Omega (oh, that hurt ).

Truth is that most United Statesians no very little about their own history let alone the rest of the world. Read this if you think otherwise.

------------------
Oh, goody, the Sea Monkeys I ordered have arrived. Heh heh heh, look at them cavort and caper.
~C. Montgomery Burns

And be sure to visit The Field Marshal project http://fieldmarshal.virtualave.net/

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Frank said: Meins with gas�kjan thus: Hvas kar�th sa?
Well, I do."

Impressive.

"I think I invaded Kamchatka last time I played Risk."

Ack! I knew that one, too...

------------------
"People are buried however they choose to be, apparently. Unless you've never written your will, in which case your body is shipped to Meltakron V and reanimated to serve as a robot in their yttrium mines." - Simon Sizer

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Baloo: Marinaras?!? Hmmm... It's a deep ocean trench filled with a red Italian sauce usually found on pasta. If you're talking about the Marianas trench, however, it's the deepest underwater crevasse in the world, and it's located south of japan but (I think) north of the Phillipines.

Showoff!!! But then, I never noticed the typo.

------------------
"My Name is Elmer Fudd, Millionaire. I own a Mansion and a Yacht."
Psychiatrist: "Again."

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll give it a shot.

Struckhold.

What is a Mesjid?
No clue.

Were are the Kunlun Shan?
India or China or Japan

A Russian one.

Mount Aconcagua

Er.. Same as above?

Some person

The lowest place on Earth.

What is Kilamanjaro?
Highest mountain in Africa

Drinking beer

Portugese?

A panther?

------------------
[an error occured while processing this directive]

Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Never climb a mountain whose names begins with KILAMAN!" - Tim Allen, Home Improvement

------------------
"The lies I told are not falsehoods according to my definition of truth." Bill Clinton
"All stupid people are liberals, because they don't know any better." Rob Rodehorst
"Don't underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups" - Dilbert, Scott Adams

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

What's especially impressive with Daryus's understanding of my statement is that I wrote it incorrectly, as TSN pointed out. The correct version is "Meins sokns thus: Hvas kar�th thana?"

------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps