Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » "My Goodess gave birth to your God" *

Author Topic: "My Goodess gave birth to your God" *
D. Lerious
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Here is a question for those of you who, like me, beleive in God or in a supreme being. Do you believe that God is male, or female. In my opinion, God goes beyond gender, but was given male traits cause of the way he provides for his creations, ie humanity, like a father did in traditional times, hence Jesus himself called God "father".

*said in a poster I saw at someone's door, at college

------------------
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

IP: Logged
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Something like that.

The problem comes from the fact that "it" sounds slightly offensive, so that's out. And the problem with saying "She", is that it really sticks out. If it's a genderless being, calling it "She" draws far more attention to the gender than calling it "He", simply because we're used to the latter.

As a (very weak example), take ships. They don't actually have a sex in the accurate use of the word, but many people call them "she". If you called them "he" though, it sticks out for miles.

And the English language does tend to use the male versions of word when talking about all of humanity. "Man", "Mankind", "history" and so on. If someone insists that the lesson be called "herstory", or "genderlestory", then that person needs to get a real hobby. God is written down using the male forms. In all likelihood, He isn't a gender at all. But calling Him a Her is like changing His name because you don't like how it's spelt.

------------------
"I can't believe we're actually gonna meet Guru Lou. Everyone says he's the wisest man in the universe. He's sensitive, creative, has a great sense of humour, and he's a really smooth dancer. *giggles*"
"You're confused Polly. We're not meeting Paul Newman."
- Polly & Speedy; Samurai Pizza Cats

D. Lerious
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmmm.Good points, PsyLiam . They make good sense.

------------------
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

IP: Logged
Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of course, lots of languages have all kinds of gendered but non-living nouns...even English did, until the French came along and wrecked it. Actually, most Old English pronouns had identical forms for the masculine and neuter.

Speaking of French influence on English, "history" comes from a French word, which came from a Latin word, which came from a Greek word, which came from the Indo-European word *weid-. Thus, there's no connection to the masculine possessive pronoun.

Oh, and Grui doesn't have any gendered pronouns.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"Tetris is, and this is fact people, confirmed by the Rand Corporation; fifteen thousand times more addictive than crack. I spent three years in a Tetris-induced haze, barely eating, wandering the streets panhandling for Gameboy batteries." - Simon Sizer

[This message has been edited by The Shadow (edited July 10, 2000).]

Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
By design, no doubt, Phranq

------------------
"The lies I told are not falsehoods according to my definition of truth." Bill Clinton
"All stupid people are liberals, because they don't know any better." Rob Rodehorst
"Don't underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups" - Dilbert, Scott Adams

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, yes, but still...

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"Tetris is, and this is fact people, confirmed by the Rand Corporation; fifteen thousand times more addictive than crack. I spent three years in a Tetris-induced haze, barely eating, wandering the streets panhandling for Gameboy batteries." - Simon Sizer

BlueElectron
Member # 281

- posted      Profile for BlueElectron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's a question, before God came along, is there such gender preference in any ancient language?

------------------
If a diamond is a woman's best friend, why does a man has to settle for a dog?

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought everyone knew that before there was God, there was Phil.

------------------
"Do you know how much YOU'RE worth??.....2.5 million Woolongs. THAT'S your bounty. I SAID you were small fry..." --Spike Spiegel

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps