Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » They sponsor what??? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: They sponsor what???
Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You all probalby already know that TV programs can be sponsored. Most of the time they say: "This program is sponsored by ..." or "This program is brought to you by ...".

Here in the Netherlands we've recently hit a new low. Not only is the news sponsored, but on one of our channels the clock (that is counting towards the whole hour on which the news is presented) is actually sponsored!

They actually had the nerve to say: "The clock is brought to you by ..." (in Dutch ofcource). When I heard that, I was so stunned that I cannot remember the news broadcast that came after that.

Where does this end?

Well, actually I can tell you where by giving you another low they've reached here:
A beer company that sponsors commercials for other companies. Although they didn't say "This milk commercial is brought to you by Bavaria Beer." They did however show the beer in the milk commercial and used the catchphrase of the beer companies own commercials.

Somebody got an asperine?
[somebody else:] "Do you want one sponsored by Bavaria Beer? Or ..."

*runs away screaming*

------------------
"I think I speak for everyone here when I say, 'Huh?'."
- Buffy

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can see how commercials in commercials might get annoying, but news programs are sponsored all the time. They are put together by corporations in the first place, you know. Heck, even the names advertise this. "NBC Nightly News", "ABC World Tonite", or whatever.

------------------
I am not good with English but excuses me. I hate you whom think bad of the gods of the thunder known under the name of ""Metallica"". Good tape of ""Metallica"" is ""Load"", that you like it or not. A much better tape of Metallica ""Load"" than overrated the tape known under the name of ""Iron Maiden"" ""Powerslave"". You all are penis for the bad one of thought about ""Lars"". ""Lars"" can take a cucumber in bottom of his throat without reflex of muzzle. Lars can too take cucumber in bottom with no stretching of bottom hole sphincter muscle. Thanks for reading.
--
an anonymous fan
Read chapter one of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! Because I'm saving all my love for you.

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sure, the news gets sponsored, but the CLOCK counting towards the whole hour get it's own sponsor?? That's just ... (can't think of a good word right now).

------------------
"I think I speak for everyone here when I say, 'Huh?'."
- Buffy

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"This line of internet chat is brought to you by Pepsi, which is brought to you by United Airlines, which is brought to you by MCI Worldcom, which is brought to you by British Telecom, which is brought to you by NHK, which is brought to you by Energiya, which is brought to you by OPEC, which is brought to you by Random House, which is brought to you by RJR Nabisco, which is brought to you by...."

------------------
"Do you know how much YOU'RE worth??.....2.5 million Woolongs. THAT'S your bounty. I SAID you were small fry..." --Spike Spiegel

Diane
aka Tora Ziyal
Member # 53

- posted      Profile for Diane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What can you expect from a world of advertisement? Just learn to block it out.

------------------
"One more day before the storm
At the barricades of freedom!
When our ranks begin to form
Will you take your place with me?"
--Enjolras, "One Day More," Les Miserables

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ugh, I wonder if advertisers have gotten any statistics on a point of diminishing returns, or even if advertising beyond a certain point backfires...
Anybody?

------------------
Stealing from one author is called plagarism.
Stealing from many is called research.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You could always watch the BBC.

In this country, we have laws stipulating how many much advertising you can have in an hour. So we have less advertisment breaks in TV shows than in the US.

Half hour shows, such as the Simpsons, only have one break near the middle, rather than two. Hour long shows, such as Star Trek, have 3 breaks, usually at 5-8, 22-25, 40-43, and 49-52. So the last bit's really short.

Cartoon Network in particular's great. It has one ad break in 30 minutes (which ruins certain jokes on Space Ghost), but they don't actually advertise other products in the break. They quickly mention another show, and then it's straight back.

And Cartoon Network's ads are great anyway.

------------------
"I can't believe we're actually gonna meet Guru Lou. Everyone says he's the wisest man in the universe. He's sensitive, creative, has a great sense of humour, and he's a really smooth dancer. *giggles*"
"You're confused Polly. We're not meeting Paul Newman."
- Polly & Speedy; Samurai Pizza Cats

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, but don't you have to pay to keep owning your own TV, or something?

------------------
"Nobody knows this, but I'm scared all the time... of what I might do, if I ever let go." -- Michael Garibaldi

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah. TV Licence. Or TV Tax. At worst though, it's no worse than paying for cable channels. Although I suppose that depends on what you think of the BBC.

It's just over �100 a year, and it pays for BBC1, BBC2, BBC Worldwide, BBC News 24, BBC Choice, UK Play, UK Gold (I think), the 5 BBC radio stations, and, er, it gives you a nice warm feeling.

You get Red Dwarf and Monty Python out of it, so don't complain.

------------------
"I can't believe we're actually gonna meet Guru Lou. Everyone says he's the wisest man in the universe. He's sensitive, creative, has a great sense of humour, and he's a really smooth dancer. *giggles*"
"You're confused Polly. We're not meeting Paul Newman."
- Polly & Speedy; Samurai Pizza Cats

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"'The Creation of the Universe' was made possible by a grant from Texas Instruments."

Gotta love PBS...

------------------
"To disarm the people [is] the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
- George Mason, American Statesman and Author of the Virginia Declaration of Rights (1776)

Xentrick
good to go
Member # 64

- posted      Profile for Xentrick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
how about corporations sponsoring _buildings?_

Los Angeles has the Staples Center, and San Francisco's much-maligned Candlestick Park became 3com Park at Candlestick Point.

(PS, total number of fans we started calling it "#com Park," about five. All of them 3com employees.)

In my county is a town called Concord with the Concord Pavilion--- only, it isn't the Concord Pavilion anymore. It's being brought to you by a newspaper, so now it's the Chronical Pavilion at Concord.

This is unsatisfactory.

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If I remember right, the Meadowlands is no longer home to Giants Stadium. For what, 5 years now? it's been home to the Continental Airlines Arena at the Meadowlands....where the Jets & Giants just happen to play.

------------------
"Do you know how much YOU'RE worth??.....2.5 million Woolongs. THAT'S your bounty. I SAID you were small fry..." --Spike Spiegel

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IIRC, the Meadowlands Arena (Nets & Devils) became the Continental Airlines Arena. No idea what the football stadium's called these days.

------------------
"Truth about Santa Claus debunks Santa God. God evolves from Santa."
-Gene Ray, http://www.timecube.com

[This message has been edited by The_Tom (edited July 19, 2000).]

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's nice to see Dodger Stadium is just good old Dodger Stadium.

------------------
Oh, fiddle faddle, everyone knows that our mutants have flippers. Oops, I've said too much.....
~C. Montgomery Burns

And be sure to visit The Field Marshal project http://fieldmarshal.virtualave.net/

Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Curry Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
God I am glad we don't have any of that crap. *phew*

------------------
"More beer, more beer, more beer, more beer! ARSE!"
- Ode to God.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps