Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Is Georgie canon? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Is Georgie canon?
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I went here just in case someone gets pissed off or something. Do I know?

Ok, let's see here. Yes, I was thinking about people that have been canonized, generally for being very nice to many others for a long time, like S:t Helena, Jeanne D'Arc and soforth.

Then I remembered another tale that I've never gotten any new info about, namely that of S:t George And The Dragon. I don't pretend to know anything about classifications of saints, but as canonizations go I've heard it can take generations for the Vatican to make up their collective mind about a bloke, so nothing can go wrong, no embarrasing news (Aahh, he WAS gay!!! *stroke*).

So, how could they have overlooked a guy that claimed he had killed a 20-foot dragon, hmm? I'd really like to know how he got off with that ol' kneeslapper.

I'd also like to know about the story itself, George and the Dragon. I've only heard "he killed a dragon". How? Where? Why? To avenge whom?

Please help me understand S:t George.

------------------
Ready for the action now, Dangerboy
Ready if I'm ready for you, Dangerboy
Ready if I want it now, Dangerboy?
How dare you, dare you, Dangerboy?
How dare you, Dangerboy?
I dare you, dare you, Dangerboy...

�on Flux, "Thanatophobia"

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
George was a Christian martyr who died early in the history of the church. There isn't really any historical information about him, other then that.

Now, Saint George went on to star in some increasingly bombastic tales, including one where he was helping the Franks fight in the Crusades, and of course the slaying of the dragon. He's the patron saint of England, and apparently specifically England. He was also the patron saint of some other states, like Genoa and Venice.

Apparently he fell out of favor after the formation of the Anglican Church, and now only gets a minor holiday. A quick search reveals that his name lives on in a number of rugby teams, however, which may or may not make up for it.

As to why he killed a dragon...well, what else are brave young knights supposed to do?

------------------
Conservative, n. A statesman who is enamored of existing evils, as distinguished from the Liberal, who wishes to replace them with others.
--
Ambrose Bierce
Read chapter one of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! It's useless to struggle.

Xentrick
good to go
Member # 64

- posted      Profile for Xentrick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Look out! It's coming right at us!

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Believe me, the dragons are none too pleased with the concept.

Anyways, they canonized that creep Cyril of Alexandria (he was they guy who incited his follwoers to riot, murder Hypatia, and burn the Library of Alexandria), too. They even canonized guys who hated and persecuted each other, on occasion. (Cyril of Alexandria deposed a man who is not Saint John Chrysostom, etc.)

Loonies.

------------------
"Ed Gruberman, you fail to grasp Ty Kwan Leap. Approach me, that you might see." -- The Master

Nim
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting. So AFTER George had been canonized people started conjuring up stories involving him and a dragon?

But how could this apocrypha rise to legendhood? We have two grand statues of him here in Stockholm (and one hospital). I still don't understand...

But as you say, First, it seems the canonizER's judgement has been subject to arbitrary decisions on more than one occasion.
Well I still feel there's more to this than meets my brain...

My God, Man! I may have to...*psychoviolins* VISIT A LIBRARY!! *thunder*
Heeeelp!!!

------------------
How dare you, Dangerboy?

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He's got a flag to. You know the English flag? That's the St George cross that is. Excited, aren't you?

BTW, I've never seen "S:t" before. Where'd that abreviation come from?

------------------
"Why do you want to spend time with a deer? They're so stupid, they get hypnotized by headlights!" - Guido Anchovy

Nim
Member # 205

Oh, that's a different way, yes. We use it in Sweden, but I think some other countries are involved as well.

So they Junion Jack is composed of St George? Well put me in a dress an' call me Susie!

------------------
How dare you, Dangerboy?

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually Susie, it's composed of the English, Scotish, and, er, Northern Irish flags.

The Welsh don't get a look in, because a dragon doesn't quite match with the others. And they all smell to. Natch.

------------------
"Why do you want to spend time with a deer? They're so stupid, they get hypnotized by headlights!" - Guido Anchovy

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's a town here in NB called Saint George

------------------
"Incest! A game the whole family can play!"
-Jonah Rapp

Constellation of One
Member # 332

- posted      Profile for Constellation of One     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Besides, I don't think the Welsh particularly want to be included on the Union Jack. At least, the Welsh I spoke with during my last visit felt that way. Give Wales time and they'll go the same way that Scotland seems to be going, taking back what the limeys stole - their nationhood.

------------------
Everything in life I ever needed to know I learned from The Simpsons.

Nim
Member # 205

PsyLiam said Wales have a dragon as their symbol.
I think we're on to something here...

------------------
How dare you, Dangerboy?

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The red cross on white is St. George's cross, representing England. The white 'X' on blue is St. Andrew's cross, for Scotland. The red 'X' on white, I believe is St. Patrick's cross, for (Northern) Ireland. Now you know the secret of the Union Jack. Feel proud...

------------------
"It's like the Star of David or something. But without the whole Judaism thing."
-Frank Gerratana, 17-Aug-2000

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ahem...The "X?!?"

The proper term is "saltire." So there.

------------------
"There are three things I HATE, Jet: kids..pets..& women with attitudes. So WHY do we have all THREE on BOARD?!?"--Spike Spiegel

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

Yeah, give it enough time, and the Welsh will be completly seperate. As will Scotland. And Ireland will be one country again. This is what everyone wants. And it will happen soon.

And shortly after, England will become the 52nd US state.

------------------

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, next in line for the 52nd, 53rd, 54th, and 55th US states are New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, PEI, and Newfoundland when Qu�b�c finally separates...

------------------
"Incest! A game the whole family can play!"
-Jonah Rapp

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps