Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » A conversation-what could it portend? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: A conversation-what could it portend?
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or because the electronic counters are rigged ... ?

Come now, Omega, surely you're aware that there would be reps from both camps on hand to make sure nothing funny went on.

------------------
Gore/Lieberman 2000
"You still don't understand, do you MacLeod? I am the End of Time!" - Kronos

"You're history!" - MacLeod
"I think anybody who doesn't think I'm smart enough to handle the job is underestimating." - George "Dubya" Bush

Constellation of One
Member # 332

- posted      Profile for Constellation of One     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"In the meantime, why does GWB want to stop a manual recount? What's the big friggin deal?"

I suspect that GWB wants to stop a recount because:
1. He's afraid he might actually lose. Obviously.
2. More importantly from a constitutional standpoint, the election is over. Two counts have been made already, with GWB winning both. Therefore, the election is over. If some bumpkin isn't bright enough to punch out a little hole in a piece of paper in the correct place, then that's his/her fault, and I suspect GWB doesn't want the bean counters deciding the presidency when the voters and the electoral college constitutionally should.

I was initially somewhat in favor of these recounts to ensure that the correct result ensues, but after two recounts its time to move on.

------------------
Everything in life I ever needed to know I learned from The Simpsons.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, the election can't be over until all the absentee ballots have been counted, especially in a race *this* close ... therefor, its not over until November 17th, 10 days *after* the election (Florida election officials made this *very* clear to the media when they were talking about the recount the day after).

And, honestly, if Bush wants recounts in Wis., and Iowa ... I'm all for that. Its important that the right guy goes into office ... this isn't a matter of winning by several *thousand* or *hundred thousand* votes, but by a few hundred, or even less.

------------------
Gore/Lieberman 2000
"You still don't understand, do you MacLeod? I am the End of Time!" - Kronos

"You're history!" - MacLeod
"I think anybody who doesn't think I'm smart enough to handle the job is underestimating." - George "Dubya" Bush

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is a time limit on recounts, to prohibit exactly what's happening here: A loser in a close race demanding recount after recount until he can get results he's happy with... like an unethical scientist "tweaking" the data, or a child counting 'eeny-meeny miney moe' until he gets the choice he REALLY wants.

I talked to a man in our lodge who works on an election board and does voter recounts, and he said to me that recounts virtually NEVER change the outcome.

------------------
"Ed Gruberman, you fail to grasp Ty Kwan Leap. Approach me, that you might see." -- The Master

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Yeah, todays the limit for recounts in FL as I understand it.

But, we've still got to wait til the 17th to know who won ...

Also, New Mexico looks on the verge of swinging back to Gore, Oregon is almost in Gore's camp, with 99% of the vote in, and there's a *huge* number of absentee ballots from Israel coming in ... (and, c'mon, those'll be for Lieberman...)

I think my position on this has always been very reasonable. Florida itself has said we gotta wait til the 17th, so lets wait. Its not like there's a rush or anything.

------------------
"When they come, kill them. We're not here to make friends." -- Connor

"But you're my friend." -- Duncan

"Count yourself lucky." -- Connor

Highlander: The Element of Fire

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps