Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Question for Les Canadiens (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Question for Les Canadiens
Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How do you guys feel about Quebec trying to separate? Good/bad idea? I was talking with a friend and he can't wait for them to do so...

------------------
"I'm not like George Bush. If he wins or loses, life goes on. I will do anything to win." - Al Gore, Newsweek, 1999

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Qu�bec is an integral part of Canada. Most of the birth of Canada started in Qu�bec. The major settlements back in the 1600's were along the St. Lawrence river in Qu�bec. Hell, the "fight for Canada" was fought in the Plains of Abraham, which are in Qu�bec. That is how the British were able to get Canada. Whoever controlled Qu�bec, controlled Canada. Now, Qu�bec is still a part of Canada today. I mean, most of the goods that come into the Maritimes nowadays are routed and distributed from Montreal and St. Hyacinthe. Face it, people. We need the province.

Also, Qu�bec gave birth to the delightful 11:30

------------------
ayr.virtualave.net
"C'est la nuit blanche/let's go out all night"
-11:30, La Nuit Blanche

[This message has been edited by Fabrux (edited December 05, 2000).]

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, aside from the fact that Quebec Separation isn't as big an issue as it used to be, and that people who say "Er, yeah, eh, they should just sep'rate. Damn Frenchies" are uneducated in the actual situation there, and the fact that less than 30% of the province is actually seperatist, and only 10% of that actually want separation, and not recognition of their distinct society, and the fact your friend seems to be an idiot, the situation there is about as urgent as when Vermont decides it wants to be a country every year.

------------------
"Karate is a form of martial arts in which people who have had years and years of training can, using only their hands and feet, make some of the worst movies in the history of the world." - Dave Barry

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A while ago I read this magazine article (I think it was in "OMNI" about these guys who were 'futurists,' that is, they took a look at trends and predicted future events.

These people, according to the article, had published predictions of the collapse of Soviet domination in Eastern Europe, the breakup of the USSR, the reintegration of Germany, the fragmentation of Yugoslavia, and the Iraq-Kuwait invasion, months, if not years, before they happened, with astounding accuracy.

I also recall they predicted a Quebec separation by a very slim margin, followed by a time of instability in Canada, during which the maritime provinces might actually seek admission to the United States, to shore up their fragile (and now, isolated from the reast of Canada) economies, a trend that would eventually be followed by the rest of Canada. They pointed out that two Canadian provinces, Manitoba and Nova Scotia, had already applied to the US State Dept. for info on how they might become states. They predicted this process would begin around 2010.

*looks around*
*hushed voice*

I suspect some of the higher-ups among our Canadian friends have read about this too, and that their total revulsion at the concept is what's REALLY holding Canada together.

------------------
"Ed Gruberman, you fail to grasp Ty Kwan Leap. Approach me, that you might see." -- The Master

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think I speak for most Canadians when I say about the Rest of Canada joining the United States: "Over our dead, rotting, putrid, and stinking bodies."

Present company excepted.

------------------
"My Name is Elmer Fudd, Millionaire. I own a Mansion and a Yacht."
Psychiatrist: "Again."

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
>"...putrid, and stinking bodies."

So... that means you're ready NOW?

------------------
"Ed Gruberman, you fail to grasp Ty Kwan Leap. Approach me, that you might see." -- The Master

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, no, let them keep their stinking bodies on the other side of the bridge!!!!!!!
Blue Water Bridge that is......

------------------
Well, it's done, yes, the deed is done.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This reminds me of how I've been asked before about what the British think of Northern Ireland wanting to leave the UK and join EIRE, and about how we're horrible for not letting them go, and keeping them under our wicked and oppressive thumbs. Even though only a tiny percentage of people who live in N Ireland want to leave the UK.

------------------
"I am in one of those rare periods of life where I am convinced I am a sexy devil."- Simon "Sol System" Sizer

Gaseous Anomaly
Member # 114

- posted      Profile for Gaseous Anomaly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, Liam, what do you think?

Time to let the Six Counties back, or will we never ascede to "the unreasonable demands of terrorists"?

What would happen if Ireland was reunified, in your opinion?

[This message has been edited by Gaseous Anomaly (edited December 07, 2000).]

The Talented Mr. Gurgeh
Member # 318

- posted      Profile for The Talented Mr. Gurgeh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's not the Brits themselves that are holding the north, it's the Unionists living in Northern Ireland pressuring the Prime Minister not to give the province back. It's all about staying in government, if you give Northern Ireland back, you lose Unionist votes.

Besides, I don't think the Republic could support the infrastructure of the north right now.

Getting back to Canada, do you think the USA would take the Canadian states? Who would benefit from such an amalgamation? I personally would like to see Canada stay separate, as the Americans would probably just plunder the natural resources and start a new race of white trash to appear on the Jerry Springer show.

Well, we are in the Flameboard....

------------------
"Baby. The other, other white meat." Fat Bastard.

[This message has been edited by Gurgeh (edited December 11, 2000).]

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My favorite rock music comes from Canada, and they make some good beer!! I'm for it.

------------------
All along the watchtower, princes kept the view
While all the women came and went, barefoot servants, too.

Outside in the distance a wildcat did growl,
Two riders were approaching, the wind began to howl.
Bob Dylan

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If Ireland was reunified, we might do even worse at the Olympics than we do now.

Maybe.

------------------
"I am in one of those rare periods of life where I am convinced I am a sexy devil."- Simon "Sol System" Sizer

Gaseous Anomaly
Member # 114

- posted      Profile for Gaseous Anomaly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Liam: What?

Honestly, what do you mean? You've lost me completely.

Yes, our athletes are unmitigated crap, but is that what you were referring to?

------------------
Go Mad.
Go Evil.
Just GO.

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

We might be better off if we let the guys in Amsterdam run everything. At least we could relieve stress by going down to the red-light district when things got rough on the Flameboard...

------------------

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

GA: Something like that. Britain is fairly awful at the Olympics. If Ireland reunified, Britain would have less athletes to choose from, so theoretically, we'd do even worse. It was a bad attempt to be light-hearted, but if failed. I shall attempt to regain my dignity by doing an impression of a cow.

Moo.

There you go.

As for what I seriously think, I honestly don't know. I don't think I know enough about the situation to make a decision either way, and I haven't really got the time to study the subject in depth. Sorry.

------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps