Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » A concern about Pres. Bush's speech, 1/20/01

Author Topic: A concern about Pres. Bush's speech, 1/20/01
colin
Member # 217

- posted      Profile for colin         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

My concern with the President's speech is that he never referred to himself as serving the people. This is one of the key functions of the presidency.

My hope is that Pres. Bush matures in his position and, in that 2005, if he is again President, that he will note the President and his office serves the citizens in his second inaugural speech.

------------------

takeoffs are optional; landings are mandatory

[This message has been edited by targetemployee (edited January 22, 2001).]

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is much he could have said. Like "peanuts" or "sushi"...he could have said those things but didn't.

Among the other words that were missing from the Bush-fest were words of poetry. Sad that. But Theodor Geisel died in 1991.

------------------
"We're just going to have a lot of work. ... Redefining the role of the United States from enablers to keep the peace to enablers to keep the peace from peacekeepers is going to be an assignment."
~ George W. Bush, Deer-In-The-Headlights of the United States

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, I don't think I'm as worried having Dubya in office anymore. I read (I forget where) that his wife is Pro-Choice. Anyway, I'd be willing to lay odds that he is too ...

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 6.83 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux
"Oh, yes, screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!"
-Forum Member Who Shall Be Nameless. 11:48am, Jan. 19th, 2001

Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
His agenda is not stopping abortions, but rather limiting their occurance. He knows that taking a hardline anti-abortion stance in policy would be political suicide, so rather he'll work on it in a much more subtle way. There are a multitude of options to abortion, and he(and his wife) want to emphasize them.

And I think that Bush, in his speech, wanted people to understand that they need to empower themselves, rather than rely on the government for everything. Sounds like a good idea to me.

------------------
"President Bush. It's fun saying that. Go ahead, you try." - M. Lucinsky, Spectrum Editor

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
JR:

In the parlance of the of those folk who would intertwine their fortunes with the rebellion of the southern states:

Limiting slavery, i.e. confining or restricting its expansion is tantamount to eliminating institution altogether.

For many, that same belief holds true in light of the current situation.
------------------
"We're just going to have a lot of work. ... Redefining the role of the United States from enablers to keep the peace to enablers to keep the peace from peacekeepers is going to be an assignment."
~ George W. Bush, Deer-In-The-Headlights of the United States

[This message has been edited by Jay (edited January 22, 2001).]

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*Shrug* If worse comes to worse, women could simply go to Canada, or overseas for an abortion.
Its almost a moot point (well, unless you can't afford to travel of course...)

Out of curiosity, what is his stance on birth control?

------------------
"The Guide says that there is an art to flying...or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Life, the Universe and Everything

[This message has been edited by Mucus (edited January 22, 2001).]

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, women should have to leave their own country to live free. The US isn't Rwanda.

------------------
"...screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!" - Omega.

Irony ensues.

Free Jeff K

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"My concern with the President's speech is that he never referred to himself as serving the people."

What, are we all supposed to forget that fact in the interim? Are Bush and Cheney going to be kicking back in front of the big screen one night watching the news when they suddenly realize that they can only be expected to do the things they mentioned in their inauguration speeches?

"Hey George, according to this, you don't have to deal with any international issues whatsoever! And, since you never mentioned how it was your duty to sign legislation, it looks like we'll have plenty of time to try out that bowling alley!"

"Woo hoo!"

------------------
20th century, go to sleep.
--
R.E.M.
Read chapters one and two of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! Show no patience, tolerance, or restraint.

[This message has been edited by Sol System (edited January 22, 2001).]

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps