Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » USSS Protection

Author Topic: USSS Protection
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmm. Interesting ... looks like 10 years after he is out of office, "Dubya" will lose his Secret Service detail ...

From the USSS Webpage:

In 1965, Congress authorized the Secret Service (Public Law 89-186) to protect a former President and his/her spouse during their lifetime, unless they decline protection. Congress recently enacted legislation that limits Secret Service protection for former Presidents to ten years after leaving office. Under this new law, individuals who are in office before Jan. 1, 1997 will continue to recieve Secret Service protection for their lifetime. Individuals elected to office after that time will receive protection for ten years after leaving office. Therefore, President Clinton will be the last President to receive lifetime protection.

Title 18, Section 3056 of the US Code states, "The United States Secret Service is authorized to protect former Presidents and their spouses for their lifetimes, except that protection of a spouse shall terminate in the event of remarriage unless the former President did not serve as President prior to Jan. 1, 1997, in which case, former President and their spouses for a period of not more than ten years from the date a former President leaves office, except that --

*Protection of a spouse shall terminate in the event of remarriage or the divorce from, or death of a former President; and

*should the death of a President occur while in office or within one year after leaving office, the spouse shall receive protection for one year from the time of such death.

Children of a former President who are under 16 years of age for a period not to exceed ten years or upon the child becoming 16 years of age, whichever comes first.
http://www.treas.gov/usss/

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 6.83 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux
"Oh, yes, screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!"
-Forum Member Who Shall Be Nameless. 11:48am, Jan. 19th, 2001

[This message has been edited by JeffKardde (edited January 24, 2001).]

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Save that money.....

------------------
"One's ethics are determined by what we do when no one is looking" Nugget
Star Trek: Gamma Quadrant
Star Trek: Legacy
Read them, rate them, got money, film them....

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let's see, 1997. That would be during the Clinton Administration, so he's protected... but Chelsea isn't, since she's over 16.

Hmm...

Think she knows too much?

------------------
"My knowledge and experience far exceeds your own, by, oh, about a BILLION times!" -- Q

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, but she'll get a detail again when her Mom becomes the 44th President

JOKE! It's a JOKE! Put that machette down!

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant

Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It had better be a joke...

*shafted New Yorker here*

------------------
"President Bush. It's fun saying that. Go ahead, you try." - M. Lucinsky, Spectrum Editor

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think I could vote for her as Pres....

------------------

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

It is a joke. She'll be the 45th Pres -- Gore'll be 44th.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant

Saiyanman Benjita
...in 2012. This time, why not the worst?
Member # 122

- posted      Profile for Saiyanman Benjita     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, she'll wait until her senate term is over, giving Gore another opportunity for the Presidency. And he'll win, too. Unless he brings up the 2000 election.

------------------
I looked at my son, and said, "My god, he's hung like a bear."
"That's the umbillical cord, Mr. Williams."

-Robin Williams, "A Night at the Met" 1986

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nope. Now that the bull market's coming back, and with the additional oil relieving the shortages in CA, (until the tree-huggers knuckle under to public demand and let them build new power plants), Bush'll go two terms. The spectre of Clinton will cling to Gore, who will drop out of public life, Hillary will get indicted on some scam, or not re-elected because she doesn't reside in NY anymore, which will leave the field wide open for me in 2008.

Then, with my creation of a multi-billion-dollar X-Prize and a guaranteed government contract going to the first public corporation to either produce a workable fusion reactor OR safely transmit 10 megawatts of power from space to reception on Earth, we will begin to produce unlimited cheap energy, thus making me the greatest President ever.

Then we start work on the NEA-SF&F.
And mining the Near Earth Asteroids.
And a full school year with dual or tri-subject days.
And early educational tracking for gifted students.
And the elimination of mandatory classes unrelated to one's major.
Nationwide firearms safety education and instruction programs.
Legislation making any person committing or fleeing from a crime they committed, unable to take any civil action against the consequences of their own crime (In other words, if you break into my house and I shoot you, you can't sue. If you die, your relatives can't sue. BUT, if a criminal jury finds me guilty of manslaughter for having shot you, I still go to jail. Or if you steal a car, and the cops chase you, and you crash, you can't sue if you're hurt. Or if you crash and burn, your family can't sue the cops for the consequences of your flight. CONDITIONAL upon proof of guilt, of course.)

------------------
"My knowledge and experience far exceeds your own, by, oh, about a BILLION times!" -- Q

[This message has been edited by First of Two (edited January 24, 2001).]

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Excuse me, but you can't use USS Protection. It's used by me and my PBeM SIM RPG LWNL Online Starship USS Protection which is part of ALPHA BRAVO CHARLIE DELTA ECHO FOXTROT GOLD HOTEL INDIA JULIET KILO LIMA MIKE NOVEMBER OSCAR PAPA QUEBEC ROMEO SIERRA TANGO UNIFORM VICTOR WHISKY X-RAY YANKEE ZULU Fleet. Mine Is The:

USS Protection
NCC-87655009-E
NOVA SUPREME CLASS

------------------
"...screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!" - Omega.

Irony ensues.

Free Jeff K

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Um.

In a semi-related note, Hillary Clinton is "Madame President" today ... she drew the dute of President of the Senate, a job which rotates among the Senators

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

Now the power tripping begins, I mean for all the politicos....

------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps