Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Bush's "Faith" based plan ... Unconstitutional? (Page 5)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Bush's "Faith" based plan ... Unconstitutional?
Saiyanman Benjita
...in 2012. This time, why not the worst?
Member # 122

- posted      Profile for Saiyanman Benjita     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"We gave you that money to spend on the soup kitchen, not to re-upholster your pews." "Yeah, but we put the money you gave us into the soup kitchens and took the money we were spending on the soup kitchens for this!" "Doesn't work that way, buddy."

How can they possibly avoid that happening?

------------------
"Oh please. I'm wet, I'm naked. And you think this is some plot to take over the world as a wet monkey in my BIRTHDAY SUIT!"

Mojo Jojo, The Powerpuff Girls

Saiyanman Benjita's Dragonball Page

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Simple. They have to demonstrate that the extra cash is needed, ie for what & where, and prove that it was spent as such. If the extra funding, which could also be seen as an investment, leads to saving money in the long term, then fine - just don't go asking for exactly the same handout next time round.

Of course, that also means that by helping them save money in the long term you're enabling them to spend the savings on religious purposes, but does that mean any initial handout shouldn't be given on the offchance it has this result?

------------------
"I rather strongly disagree, even if I share the love of Dick. Speaking of which, that would be the most embarrasing .sig quote ever, so never use it."

- Simon Sizer, 23/01/2001

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I heard an interesting suggestion that I like somewhat more than this. What if, for every dollar that a person donates to whatever charity, they get a $1 tax credit? Might that work a little better?

------------------
Disclaimer:
"All references to vices and of the supernatural contained in this game are for entertainment purposes only. _Over_The_Edge_ does not promote satanisim, belief in magic, drug use, violence, sexual deviation, body piercing, cynical attitudes toward the government, freedom of expression, or any other action or belief not condoned by the authorities."
- `OverTheEdge'

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What if someone donates more money to charity than they would otherwise pay in taxes. Do they get a check from the Government? While some sort of tax credit might not be a bad idea for charity donations, I don't think a 1:1 ratio is a very good idea for it.

"Wow! People donated 50 million to charities this year more than last year! People are really generous!"

"Nah, they're just getting tax credits."

Also, what charities get credited? It also seems a fairly easy way to launder money, or rip the government off. "Hey, I founded my own charity, so I'm going to donate $10 million to myself, get $10 million back from the government, and I'll have $20 million! Woooohooo!"

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 6.83 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux
"Oh, yes, screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!"
-Forum Member Who Shall Be Nameless. 11:48am, Jan. 19th, 2001

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Limits to it would of course be needed. If a person gorsses $45,000.00 a year and turns in anything more that $4,500.00 then they need to be called on it. 10% is a good maximum amount.

------------------
"One's ethics are determined by what we do when no one is looking" Nugget
Star Trek: Gamma Quadrant
Star Trek: Legacy
Read them, rate them, got money, film them

"...and I remain on the far side of crazy, I remain the mortal enemy of man, no hundred dollar cure will save me..." WoV

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, a cap would be good. You can donate up to x% of your earnings to charities with government tax credit.

Ooooh! Brainstorm! What if the Gov't collected the money and distributed it fairly to the different charities? It would ensure fairness to the charities involved, and although I'm sure a lot of Republicans would argue about too much government control, you'd still get the charity tax credit, and Democrats would be appeased because it would make sure they would be little (or no) misappropriation of funds, or unfair bias to certain charities.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes and no, if I were, say a white Christian fundie/klansmen I would not want my money to go to the black baptist church. I would want to make sure that the money went only to fellow kkk churches. On the yes side, for those of us not that unwise, it is a good idea, to help ensure fairness.
Another question is, the churches in Beverly Hills and associated richer neibhorhoods, what kind of 'local' out reach programs can they do? While the inner city slum chruches will have a bigger group to work with. What kind of scale should be used to work out this??

------------------
"One's ethics are determined by what we do when no one is looking" Nugget
Star Trek: Gamma Quadrant
Star Trek: Legacy
Read them, rate them, got money, film them

"...and I remain on the far side of crazy, I remain the mortal enemy of man, no hundred dollar cure will save me..." WoV

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Now, that's a tough one.

If the government simply allotes the money to the various charities, I don't think there would (or could) be any say on where (in the US, or abroad) it could or would be spent.

Now, if the money deducted was specificly funded through the gov't towards grassroots organizations (soup kitchens, homeless shelters, etc.), the money could be sent to the various states, where those states could determine the best way for the money to be spent (within certain guidelines)

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps