Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Will 'Dubya' be a good president. (Page 2)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: Will 'Dubya' be a good president.
Teelie
Member # 280

- posted      Profile for Teelie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Funny, I know a fair amount of people who make below 40k who'll have a hell of a time with taxes as it is, and it appears Bush will only give those above that any break.
Figures, kickbacks to the rich(er) as always.
I hate his ideas on how to "fix" education too like this voucher thing or lowering standards.
He seems to want to lower standards on a lot of things doesn't he?

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't see how a tax refund for the people who PAY most of the taxes is a 'kickback' of any sort.

While I might LIKE to get out more than I put in, I don't think that's very just.

------------------
"My knowledge and experience far exceeds your own, by, oh, about a BILLION times!" -- Q

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Funny, I know a fair amount of people who make below 40k who'll have a hell of a time with taxes as it is, and it appears Bush will only give those above that any break.

Pardon? As I recall, under the Bush plan, no one under $35k even PAYS income tax. Again, what do you want? A negative tax?

I hate his ideas on how to "fix" education too like this voucher thing or lowering standards.

Again, pardon? Lowering standards? THERE ARE NO STANDARDS. That's the frikin' problem! He's creating them, not lowering them!

------------------
Disclaimer:
"All references to vices and of the supernatural contained in this game are for entertainment purposes only. _Over_The_Edge_ does not promote satanisim, belief in magic, drug use, violence, sexual deviation, body piercing, cynical attitudes toward the government, freedom of expression, or any other action or belief not condoned by the authorities."
- `OverTheEdge'

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While there are no Federally-mandated standards, there are State-standards. I don't know for certain, but it's possible (quite possible) that TSN means that Dubya's plan would set a lower standard than some states require is all.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 6.27 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux (with four eps posted)
"Oh, yes, screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!"
-Forum Member Who Shall Be Nameless. 11:48am, Jan. 19th, 2001

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aren't the states able, in cases such as this, to create higher standards than what the Feds say to do, the Feds would set a minimum standard. States just under cut Fed standards.

------------------
"One's ethics are determined by what we do when no one is looking" Nugget
Star Trek: Gamma Quadrant
Star Trek: Legacy
Read them, rate them, got money, film them

"...and I remain on the far side of crazy, I remain the mortal enemy of man, no hundred dollar cure will save me..." WoV

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Personally, I find it encouraging that the CEO of the country has experience running an actual business

You mean that failed oil venture? Yeah, that gives me pains of excitement too about his ability.

------------------
"There's no such thing as legacies. At least, there is a legacy, but I'll never see it."
~ George W. Bush, Deer-In-The-Headlights of the United States

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, but everybody knows Alan Greenspan's the real CEO of the US anyway...

------------------
"My knowledge and experience far exceeds your own, by, oh, about a BILLION times!" -- Q

[This message has been edited by First of Two (edited February 10, 2001).]

Teelie
Member # 280

- posted      Profile for Teelie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I meant that they may pay the money out, but they get it back. Maybe not more, but the rich tend to support the rich, and Dubya's rich. So while those above one tax bracket pay less, those below it pay more for doing more unlike the other side.
Omega
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I meant that they may pay the money out, but they get it back.

Oh, now you're falling for the DNP line. No one is "getting money back" with a tax cut. That's like spending money on a tax cut. It isn't possible, by definition. Regardless, the rich will STILL be paying far more than the poor after the Bush tax cut, so again... what's your problem?

the rich tend to support the rich

Again, falling for the DNP line. Class warfare, and the like. The rich don't support each other. A rich person supports himself and his family, and the way he does that is by investing money in companies, and thus creating jobs, which I think we all agree is a good thing.

So while those above one tax bracket pay less, those below it pay more for doing more unlike the other side.

Can you please repeat that? In english, preferably.

------------------
Disclaimer:
"All references to vices and of the supernatural contained in this game are for entertainment purposes only. _Over_The_Edge_ does not promote satanisim, belief in magic, drug use, violence, sexual deviation, body piercing, cynical attitudes toward the government, freedom of expression, or any other action or belief not condoned by the authorities."
- `OverTheEdge'

Teelie
Member # 280

Anyone below a certain tax line usually gets screwed on any new "tax deals" that only end up benefiting those who have the money.

If you've never lived middle or lower class, then don't pretend to think that the tax laws are fair to anyone. 2,000 may not seem like much to you, but to my parents who won't have it, that's $2,000 they'll have to find somewhere thanks to this shit.

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah, it's the old virtue of selfishness and other lines of conservative bullshit.

------------------
"There's no such thing as legacies. At least, there is a legacy, but I'll never see it."
~ George W. Bush, Deer-In-The-Headlights of the United States

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
JeffK: Erm... I what? This is the first time I've even posted in this thread... :-)

------------------
My new year's resolution is the same as last year's: 1024x768.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Um. Er. Oooops, I meant TLE. Sorry ... you guys with three-lettered names starting with "T" get confusing sometimes

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 6.27 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux (with four eps posted)
"Oh, yes, screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!"
-Forum Member Who Shall Be Nameless. 11:48am, Jan. 19th, 2001

Omega
Member # 91

2,000 may not seem like much to you, but to my parents who won't have it, that's $2,000 they'll have to find somewhere thanks to this shit.

WTF? They're getting a frikin' TAX CUT! Unless they somehow avoid paying income tax, your parents will have MORE money to play with after the Bush tax cut.

Anyone below a certain tax line usually gets screwed on any new "tax deals" that only end up benefiting those who have the money.

I'd love to hear your explaination for that statement. How can you get screwed if you end up paying no taxes at all?

------------------
Disclaimer:
- `OverTheEdge'

MIB
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bush's tax plan is supposed to give tax cuts to certain people, making a certain income, with a certain number of kids. Unfortunately, tax cuts will be primarily given to those who make $60,000 or over. There is ONE tax bracket that I'm aware of that covers people with incomes LOWER than $60,000. That bracket is single people with one child making $30,000

Another problem with Bush's tax plan is that it relies HEAVILY on the accuracy of the budget surplus projections. If the budget surplus projections are a tiny bit off, we'd be screwed!!! Besides, even if the projections are dead on, Bush's tax plan would eat up so much of the surplus, there wouldn't be enough left over to cover increases in the cost of running the country!!!

------------------
If anyone has a Star wars action fleet E-wing starfighter or Tie defender toy they want to sell, please E-mail me at [email protected]

[This message has been edited by MIB (edited February 11, 2001).]

IP: Logged
  This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps