Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Protecting Texas from the Viet Cong... (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Protecting Texas from the Viet Cong...
Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yup, Double U's actions are bad so let's go after someone else we don't care for like Jesse Jackson.

Doule U's defense of Alabama against the Varment Cong includes not showing up so he can play politics, so what is our plan to defend his actions? Attack Clinton, our favorite person to hate.

Interesting.

------------------
"One reason I like to highlight reading is, reading is the beginnings of the ability to be a good student. And if you can't read, it's going to be hard to realize dreams, it's going to be hard to go to college. So when your teachers say, read--you ought to listen to her."
~ George W. Bush, Deer-In-The-Headlights of the United States

[This message has been edited by Jay (edited February 16, 2001).]

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nope, just giving examples that all politicians are pretty much alike.. except that the Democrats are worse.

------------------
"My knowledge and experience far exceeds your own, by, oh, about a BILLION times!" -- Q

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's funny though. A thread about UU's actions turns into a thread about how Clinton's base should be belong to no one.

But when a thread about someone else turns into a, say, Rush Limbaugh = bad thread, all of our current Mr. Righties endager their fingers by typing "Why must you liberals always bring up Limbaugh? He's irrelevant!" much too fast.

This is why American Politics should be set up you the bomb.

------------------
"...screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!" - Omega.

Irony ensues.

Free Jeff K

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Limbaugh isn't a politician, he's a pundit. And I find both Jim Quinn and Bill O'Reilly more enjoyable, anyway. (O'Reilly tore into a conservative guy last night about hate-crimes laws, because he -the guy, not O'Reilly- opposed them strictly on some religious grounds, rather than with real reasons. Tore the guy apart, it was great.)

Clinton, Gore, Jackson, Bush, et al. ARE politicians, however, and are therefore in the same target zone.

------------------
"My knowledge and experience far exceeds your own, by, oh, about a BILLION times!" -- Q

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And oddly enough they are not the same person.

Who here wants to defend Double U's individual alleged dereliction of duty?

Anyone?

Anyone?

------------------
"One reason I like to highlight reading is, reading is the beginnings of the ability to be a good student. And if you can't read, it's going to be hard to realize dreams, it's going to be hard to go to college. So when your teachers say, read--you ought to listen to her."
~ George W. Bush, Deer-In-The-Headlights of the United States

[This message has been edited by Jay (edited February 17, 2001).]

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The thing that kinda bothers me is that he had strings pulled to get him into the National Guard so he didn't have to go to Vietnam, then didn't even show up for the National Guard!

And people bitch about Clinton's war-record.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 6.27 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux (with four eps posted)
"Oh, yes, screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!"
-Omega 11:48am, Jan. 19th, 2001
"The candidate who slimed John McCain in the primaries and smeared Al Gore in the general election is now the president who pledges to elevate the nation's tone and bring civility to our discorse. Kind of like Michael Corleone brought peace to the mob by killing the heads of the other four families."
--Paul Begala, Is Our Children Learning?

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

Something about "the mote in my eye vs. the log in your own" would be appropriate right about now...

------------------
The government that seems the most unwise, oft goodness to the people best supplies. That which is meddling, touching everything, will work but ill, and disappointment bring. - The Tao Te Ching

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Personally, I'd be interested to know if there were any other units like his that did no work, and who was in them. I like running down all possibilities.

------------------
Disclaimer:
"All references to vices and of the supernatural contained in this game are for entertainment purposes only. _Over_The_Edge_ does not promote satanisim, belief in magic, drug use, violence, sexual deviation, body piercing, cynical attitudes toward the government, freedom of expression, or any other action or belief not condoned by the authorities."
- `OverTheEdge'

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Omega,

It's not that his unit didn't have any tasks to do. It's that he didn't show up at all.

Gen. William Turnispeed (CO of the Alabama unit) said "had he reported in, I would have had some recall, and I do not. I had been in Texas, done my flight training there. If we had had a first lieutenant from Texas, I would have remembered."

Col. Albert Lloyd, a member of the Texas Air National Guard (and Bush supporter) says there are no records showing Bush served in Alabama. "If he did, his drill attendance should have been certiefied and sent to Ellington, and there would have been a record. We cannot find the records to show he fulfilled the requirements in Alabama."

Even the claim that Bush made the time up after returning to his old post at Ellington, Texas, was refuted by that unit's former XO.

Bush's service in Texas isn't in question. Flight training is very dangerous, and he did his job. Then he vanished when on the campaign trail in Alabama.

"Back in the Second World War, a little private from Detroit didn't show up for duty. His father was not a powerful congressman, and his grandfather had not been a senator. His family did not have a majestic mansion on the surf-pounded cliffs on Kennebunkport. Private Eddie Slovik deserted. And Eddie Slovik was shot by a firing squad." - Paul Begala

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
"The candidate who slimed John McCain in the primaries and smeared Al Gore in the general election is now the president who pledges to elevate the nation's tone and bring civility to our discorse. Kind of like Michael Corleone brought peace to the mob by killing the heads of the other four families."

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

So, as long as other people may have been derelict in their duty too that makes it ok.

Right.

Still turns out the Double U is derelict. Good for him.

------------------
I should've known you were the only one stupid enough to kidnap you! Now get down here so I can spank you in front of this gawking rabble
~ C. Mongomery Burns

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

I like that General's quote...
He wasn't there because a guy who happened to be from the same state didn't remember him?

Yeah. *snort*

I went out to Philmont Scout Ranch in 1987, and I went on a 50 mile-hike with a group of other scouts from all over the country. TWO, who I associated with, happened to be from Pennsylvania. Now, I have a pretty good memory, but I couldn't remember their names or what they looked like if you offered me a million dollars. So how can this guy, with an even greater span of time to forget?

But it's true, at least Al DID Go to Nam, as the following actual picture of him there illustrates: http://www.warroom.com/goreinnam.htm

------------------
The government that seems the most unwise, oft goodness to the people best supplies. That which is meddling, touching everything, will work but ill, and disappointment bring. - The Tao Te Ching

[This message has been edited by First of Two (edited February 22, 2001).]

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

No, First, he wasn't there because there is no record ANYWHERE that says he was there. Gen. Turnispeed -- and his admin officer, Kenneth Lott, who also doesn't remember Bush -- merely serves to back up the facts. So does Col. Albert Lloyd, of the Texas Air Guard, who campaigned for Bush, says the records show Bush didn't serve.

The only person that anyone (including the Bush campaign) could find who said that Bush was serving at the Alabama National Guard unit was a girl he was seeing socially at the time. 'Course, if girlfriends are now proof of military service, Bill Clinton should get the Congressional Medal of Honor.

Bush didn't fulfill his commitment. No one remembers him serving in Alabama. There is no record (anywhere!) that he served in Alabama.

Nice pic of Gore. Hey, that M-16 is missing a clip! But, at least he was over there, in harm's way instead of getting poppy to pull strings to get out of it. Besides, did Gore run for "Office of Gun Safety Instructor?" No. How is that relevent, anyway? Misdirection!

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant

[This message has been edited by JeffKardde (edited February 22, 2001).]

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

Misdirection? Hardly. It's just funny.

However, I believe that people who want to pass laws regarding weapons should at least me slightly knowledgeable in their use. That would include NOT getting into a position wherein the barrel of a dangerous weapon is pointed at one's cranium by oneself. (Yes, it's missing its clip. Doesn't matter. An educated person could tell you that many wepons are capable of holding a bullet ready in the barrel - a fact which is one of the main causes

------------------

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

Something is wrong with the edit function.

------------------

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

Dang double posts...

------------------

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps