Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » McVeigh -- televised execution? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: McVeigh -- televised execution?
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, ya'll know my take on the Death Penalty already.

McVeigh wants his execution televised. TELEVISED! You know, like in "Starship Troopers" ... execution at 10 on NBC! There are about four different viewpoints.

Real World

Public executions were abolished; the enormity of this crime is no reason to bring them back. "This is reality TV to the max ... we have to draw the line somewhere." (Fox News)

Veigh-eurism

If the death penalty is an expression of public will, then make it public. Let potential killers see what happens when you murder. "Lights! Camera! Injection!" (Eric Zorn, Chicago Tribune)

Death Watch

Seeing McVeigh die will bring closure to victims' families and survivors. Counter-buzz: it's ghoulish, and "we'll end up with a staged political event." ('Good Morning America')

Time Out!

McVeigh's the last person who deserves to dictate the terms of his death. He wants to die a martyr; if you broadcast his execution on television, "it's like 'Ha-ha, look at me, I got what I want.'" (USA Today)

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 6.27 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux (with four eps posted)
"Oh, yes, screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!"
-Omega 11:48am, Jan. 19th, 2001
"The candidate who slimed John McCain in the primaries and smeared Al Gore in the general election is now the president who pledges to elevate the nation's tone and bring civility to our discorse. Kind of like Michael Corleone brought peace to the mob by killing the heads of the other four families."
--Paul Begala, Is Our Children Learning?

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Obviously, I'm against the death penalty, but I'm also against McVeigh being allowed to demand a televised execution. The most he should get is a last meal, then be executed in a room with no observers aside from those neccessary.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 6.27 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux (with four eps posted)
"Oh, yes, screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!"
-Omega 11:48am, Jan. 19th, 2001
"The candidate who slimed John McCain in the primaries and smeared Al Gore in the general election is now the president who pledges to elevate the nation's tone and bring civility to our discorse. Kind of like Michael Corleone brought peace to the mob by killing the heads of the other four families."
--Paul Begala, Is Our Children Learning?

Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Indeed, it shouldn't be televised... But I still think it should go through.

------------------
"President Bush. It's fun saying that. Go ahead, you try." - M. Lucinsky, Spectrum Editor

"Being a liberal is one of the most gutless choices you can make. It doesn't require you to think, it only requires you to feel." - Rush Limbaugh

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't agree it should be broadcast. (Fox News! Yay!)

But he does deserve it. Frag 'im.

I mean, if you don't deserve to die for slaughtering a bunch of KIDS, what DO you deserve to die for?

Converting them to Branch Davidians?
Resisting the BATF?

------------------
The government that seems the most unwise, oft goodness to the people best supplies. That which is meddling, touching everything, will work but ill, and disappointment bring. - The Tao Te Ching

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am slightly disturbed that a news station in the US would use the phrase "to the max". What's next? CNN saying "Totally rightious murders?" BBC News "Dude, like people were wasted yesterday". The Times reporting "Iraq bombed! For Great Justice!"? It's madness.

------------------
"And Mojo was hurt and I would have kissed his little boo boo but then I realized he was a BAD monkey so I KICKED HIM IN HIS FACE!"
-Bubbles

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Our awesome top-story tonite; Kray-Z increase of british turnips! Boyakasha!"

------------------
Here lies a toppled god,
His fall was not a small one.
We did but build his pedestal,
A narrow and a tall one.

-Tleilaxu Epigram

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
THRICE!

NIMROD GOT THE TURNIP POWERUP AND DISSED THE BRITISH GAME!!!

------------------
"...screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!" - Omega.

Irony ensues.

Free Jeff K

[This message has been edited by Ultra Magnus (edited February 22, 2001).]

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, Liam. I needed a new sig. :-)

------------------
"I am slightly disturbed that a news station in the US would use the phrase 'to the max'. What's next? CNN saying 'Totally righteous murders?' BBC News 'Dude, like people were wasted yesterday'. The Times reporting 'Iraq bombed! For Great Justice!'?"
-Liam Kavanagh, 22.Feb.2001

Nim
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TSN, I swear, if you say "zig" one more time I'll fix you up real good...
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can I take off every 'zig'?

------------------
"I am slightly disturbed that a news station in the US would use the phrase 'to the max'. What's next? CNN saying 'Totally righteous murders?' BBC News 'Dude, like people were wasted yesterday'. The Times reporting 'Iraq bombed! For Great Justice!'?"
-Liam Kavanagh, 22.Feb.2001

Nim
Member # 205

Aaahh!!! You dare blasphemize your handle in front of my very person??? This...FOUL deed shall not be forgiven...nor forgotten! *swings cape in dramatic retreat*

------------------
Here lies a toppled god,
A narrow and a tall one.

-Tleilaxu Epigram

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know, "blasphemising your handle" can make you go blind.

------------------
"And Mojo was hurt and I would have kissed his little boo boo but then I realized he was a BAD monkey so I KICKED HIM IN HIS FACE!"
-Bubbles

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
but letting someone else blaspheme your handle can result in a blessed event.

------------------
The government that seems the most unwise, oft goodness to the people best supplies. That which is meddling, touching everything, will work but ill, and disappointment bring. - The Tao Te Ching

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

I dunno. Unless blessed events now include births, marriages, and white wee-wee.

------------------
-Bubbles

Nim
Member # 205

Blaspheme? Sounds like something done in a body shop.
Oh behave!

------------------
Here lies a toppled god,
A narrow and a turnip.

-Tleilaxu Epigram

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps