Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Taliban destroying Buddha statues...

Author Topic: Taliban destroying Buddha statues...
dih1138
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some of the largest Buddha statues in the world are being destroyed by the Taliban, religous militants who rule most of Afghanistan. They are using cannons and explosives to cut away at the centuries old statues, which are carved out of mountain. It is part of a campaign to meant to stop idolatry, a campaign that targets all statues in Afghanistan.

Even it's closest ally, Pakistan, disagrees with this and along with Japan & UNESCO is send an envoy in an effort to stop this.

Maybe the Soviet Union should have done some Nuclear weapons testing on this country...

------------------
-dih1138

IP: Logged
Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, that probably would have destroyed the statues, too, don't you think?

------------------
Disclaimer:
"All references to vices and of the supernatural contained in this game are for entertainment purposes only. _Over_The_Edge_ does not promote satanisim, belief in magic, drug use, violence, sexual deviation, body piercing, cynical attitudes toward the government, freedom of expression, or any other action or belief not condoned by the authorities."
- `OverTheEdge'

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As a classical scholar, I am appalled at this. I really couldn't believe it when I read it.

------------------
Ross: This is not good for my rage. *takes another pill*

dih1138
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
good point. nerve gas then.

Vogon Poet: As in Greek/Roman?

------------------
-dih1138

[This message has been edited by dih1138 (edited March 09, 2001).]

IP: Logged
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On a, um, non-murderous and relatively positive note, there will be statues of the Buddha long after the Taliban is a forgotten memory.

Barring major asteroid impact.

Or vaccum collapse. (Scary!)

------------------
I will shout until they know what I mean.
--
Neutral Milk Hotel
Read three (three!) chapters of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! Then, go insane!

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Vacuum collapse? Is that where Dyson becomes the world's dominant corporation, then falls apart, plunging the world into an eternity of financial ruin?

------------------
Ross: This is not good for my rage. *takes another pill*

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Taliban are the ultimate extension of Fundamentalism. If you want to know what the US would be like if Fundies came to power here, look no further.

That said, they're a bunch of tiny-brained, tiny-***ked paranoid nitwits who're doing this because they can't bear to have any challenges, even old, silent ones, to their cherished belief system.

------------------
The government that seems the most unwise, oft goodness to the people best supplies. That which is meddling, touching everything, will work but ill, and disappointment bring. - The Tao Te Ching

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From what I hear, one of the tenets of Islam is to respect the cultures of others.

Apparently they have had a big kick to the head as they have forgotten it completely. It's as if it is IMPORTANT to cause great disrespect among all minorities, including people from other religions and women, etc. etc. etc.

------------------
"Or maybe he was a real quack who got sick and tired of pissing people off, and decided to get a life and masterbate for the next 10 years."
- Me to Antagonist on Red Quacker, 03/08/01 20:15

Gaseous Anomaly
Member # 114

- posted      Profile for Gaseous Anomaly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You lot only noticed this NOW?!
It's been going on for the past week, I just assumed it was known about and not discussable, or something.

yeha, they used mortars and set charges to wreck the statues.

------------------
At that point, McDonald fired his gun three times in the air to emphasize his point. The crowd, estimated at 350,000, loudly cheered the new candidate.

"Let me make this clear: I am the law! I am your ruler! And you will have fries with that, motherf*cker!"

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought Hizbollah or Hamas were worse. These guys don't sound like they try to hurt people, just property. Nonetheless, they are first-rate turnips.

------------------
Don't kill me, I'm charming!

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, they hurt people, too. Women's rights and such have taken a nosedive since they came to power. They're just too busy making shite out of their own country to start blowing other people's up just yet.

------------------
The government that seems the most unwise, oft goodness to the people best supplies. That which is meddling, touching everything, will work but ill, and disappointment bring. - The Tao Te Ching

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Nosedive"? Didn't women's rights already crash and burn there?

------------------
"...I know this board in secret, intimate ways which are beyond your comprehension.... Let's just say that people should *not* be telling me what to do; it should always be the other way around."
-"Red Quacker", conspiracy theorist and contemporary lunatic

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yep. Ashes on the wind, as it were. As some call it, "female apartheid."

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 6.27 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux (with four eps posted)
"Oh, yes, screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!"
-Omega 11:48am, Jan. 19th, 2001
"The candidate who slimed John McCain in the primaries and smeared Al Gore in the general election is now the president who pledges to elevate the nation's tone and bring civility to our discorse. Kind of like Michael Corleone brought peace to the mob by killing the heads of the other four families."
--Paul Begala, Is Our Children Learning?

Orion Syndicate
He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy!
Member # 25

- posted      Profile for Orion Syndicate     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Taliban = Wankers

I'm sure their version of Islam has got nothing to do with what it actually is. They have been misinterpreting and misrepresenting the Quran to further their own fundamentalist ends. A comment made earlier about Islam's respect for others belief systems - very true. On a TV programme that I was watching about two weeks ago, a leading Iranian cleric made this very comment. The Taliban are just arseholes.

That said, I fully support the right of an Islamic nation to establish a fully Islamic state within their borders and run it according to Sharia law. The Taliban however although claiming to be the custodians of an Islamic state, are clearly not. There is a lot of Islamaphobia across the non Islamic world (most of it in my view unjustified) but the Taliban is not helping the situation at all. Their power base relies on their publics hatred of the West and America in particular and they have no qualms about fanning the hatred even further. The sooner the Taliban is replaced by another organisation (not necessarily conformist to western ideology, but someone who can rule with an iron hand but maintain an image of what Islam actually is, (a peaceful race who will live in peace with others, but fight if their way of life comes under threat) the better Afghanistan will be for it.

------------------
The Worlds Ten Greatest 'Fucks' #4

Of course I'll fucking beat Tyson 'arry! - Frank Bruno

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Like any major religion, Islam is wide enough to encompass groups that have almost less in common with each other than they do with other religions.

------------------
I will shout until they know what I mean.
--
Neutral Milk Hotel
Read three (three!) chapters of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! Then, go insane!

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps