Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » People will never learn. (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: People will never learn.
Orion Syndicate
He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy!
Member # 25

- posted      Profile for Orion Syndicate     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
About the 'Why are we all posting at Flare' thing, I came here originally about October 1999 because it seemed a decent board with fun people to talk to and debate with. Star Trek played a small part in my decision to stay for a while, but it was the people that made me stay longer. There have been some dickheads come and go and it has gotten boring on occasions, which is why I left for almost a year. But mostly, it is the regulars that are fun and the reason I've stayed so long.

Now, about Paramount's responsibility, how many Trekkies would actually go out, find Malcolm McDowell and shoot him as retribution for the death of Captain Kirk? Not many. The ones who were responsible for the death threats against McDowell for that very reason are screwed in the head -just like the people that kill others. You can't blame TV companies or programmes for the fucked up personalities of people who were probably like that before they ever saw the programme. About your Paramount argument, how many Star Trek fans are there in the world? Now, how many aren't fans? I think any sensible person would agree that the figure would be ridiculously higher in the 'non fan' category. A lot of these have probably seen Star Trek and weren't converted because they don't like it. We like the concept, so are Trekkies. That's not Paramount, it's us. The TV company is just providing a service, upon which we act according to our personalities and preferences.

I think it's about time people started to accept that not everything is everyone elses fault, especially in these cases. If someone commits a murder, it isn't a TV show, but the person themselves who are to blame. There are obvious exceptions like little children for whose crimes their parents should be held accountable. After 12 or 13, it's the persons own fault. The sooner people stop blaming others and accept responsibility, the sooner things can start to change.

------------------
The Worlds Ten Greatest 'Fucks' #9

Who let that fucking woman drive? - Captain of Space Shuttle

[This message has been edited by Orion Syndicate (edited April 24, 2001).]

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There were death threats against Malcolm McDowell for killing Kirk???

------------------
Lisa: "Don't you remember the story of Oedipus?"
Homer: "Maybe five dollars will refresh my memory."
Lisa (angrily): "Oedipus was the story of a man who kills his father and marries his mother!"
Homer: "Uggh! Who pays for that wedding?"

Shabren's Final Prophecy: Star Trek: Legacy

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
People need to learn the difference between "make-believe" and "real life."

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 8.32 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux (with seven eps posted)
"Oh, yes, screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!"
-Omega 11:48am, Jan. 19th, 2001
"I think this reason why girls don't do well on multiple choice tests goes all the way back to the Bible, all the way back to Genesis, Adam and Eve. God said, 'All right, Eve, multiple choice or multiple orgasms, what's it going to be?' We all know what was chosen" - Rush Limbaugh, Feb. 23, 1994.

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
This is off topic now but those cases against the tobacco companies are nonsense too. "I was smoking 60 cigarettes a day for 50 years of my life and it gave me cancer. I blame the manufacturers for giving me cancer". For fucks sake, IS IT REALLY POSSIBLE FOR HUMANS TO BE THIS STUPID!

Um, would I be stupid if I said I agreed with anti-tobacco litigation?

The companies knew the link to cancer, got together and signed a pact to stand united and try and fight off the critics. They agreed not to try to lower tar levels to undercut one another. With full knowledge of this and the fact that their market would die off quicker, they agreed together to market their product to children.

This isn't lawyerish speculation, this is real documents, slowly being extracted tooth and nail from the tobacco companies.

How is what the tobacco companies are doing any worse than a car company knowing a car will blow up but not recalling it? It's far, far worse, IMHO, given the death toll tobacco has exacted since ignorance on the part of the tobacco companies no longer was an excuse.

The only numbers that come to mind are Canadian ones, but I'll have you know that Tobacco-related disease cost the Canadian health budget three to four times of what's recouped by cigarette taxes. (And our cigarette taxes are high.) That's before we take into account the ill effects smoking has on society outside hospitals: reduced productivity in the workplace, poor levels of general fitness, a mass consumption of the disposable income of addicts that could go into the economy somewhere other than big tobacco.

Frivolous litigation is everywhere, yes, but this isn't an example of it.

------------------
"I can be creative when I have a good idea. That just happens way too rarely."
-Omega, April 6

MIB
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(QUOTE)As said earlier, this has got nothing to do with moral and social responsibility and everything to do with using their family members deaths to make lots of money for themsleves. It's sickening! (END QUOTE)

Is this a referece to the Remsey family? Not that I really care in all honesty........

------------------
"We have to get drunk immediately."----Gattaca

IP: Logged
Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The article isn't there anymore...& they want you to pay $1.95 to read it. Fuck YOU.

------------------
"I'm beginning to think that there'll be NO forced mating at ALL!" --Professor Hubert T. Farnsworth

akb1979
Just loves those smilies!
Member # 557

- posted      Profile for akb1979     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are add-on packs for Deus Ex? :O

I'm only aware of Deus Ex and the upcoming Deus Ex 2.

More information would be very much appreciated!
I live in the UK and things are moving slow where I live, so I don't hear of things until months after they happen. Maybe I should try getting out of bed and away from the computer once in a while! Hehe!

Death threats against the guy who 'killed' Kirk - what is the world coming to? It's TV/Movies/Etc.! *IT IS NOT REAL!*

Madness! Can't people just watch this stuff and have fun anymore? Do they have to act daft and do such idiotic things?

OK, that's my 'verbal abuse session' over.

MC Infinity
Member # 531

- posted      Profile for MC Infinity     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm fairly certain that "Deus Goatse Ex" was a joke, and would make more sense if you pronounced it faster it would come out to "Deus Goat Sex" and ofcourse the Scottish and New Zealand version was Deus Sheep Sex.

------------------
"Well if it's gonna be that kind of a party, I'm putting my dick in the mashed potatoes!"

-Nimrod 16/4/2001

Quatre Winner
Member # 464

- posted      Profile for Quatre Winner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To say nothing of the Florida version "Deus Ex Manatee sex".

------------------
In this crazy world of lemons, baby...you're lemonade!

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just to go slighty off topic, how the hell do you pronouce Deus Ex? I've had arguments with two English uni students over this.

One goes for Day-us Ex.
And the other goes for Do-s-sex.

And according to some dictionaries, Daryus-ex is a valid pronouciation as well. Our Aussie's famous.

------------------
You know, when Comedy Central asked us to do a Thanksgiving episode, the first thought that went through my mind was, "Boy, I'd like to have sex with Jennifer Aniston."
-Trey Parker, co-creator of South Park

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My Deus Goatse Ex was a joke, a play on the name of Deus Ex, while incanting the forbidden name of goatse.cx. Don't go there on the internet.

I'd say it's pronounced Dee-ooh-s Ghoat See Ehks.

------------------
"Instructed by history and reflection, Julian was persuaded that, if the diseases of the body may sometimes be cured by salutary violence, neither steel nor fire can eradicate the erroneous opinions of the mind."

-Edward Gibbons, The Decline and Fall of The Roman Empire.

[This message has been edited by Ultra Magnus (edited April 24, 2001).]

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"DEY-oos EKS"

They just don't teach Latin in schools these days.

Tom:

What the tobacco companies did behind closed doors is irrelevant. They told the truth about their product, right on the package, and if people are too dumb to read the provided information about something they're putting in their body and die because of it, it's their own darned fault.

------------------
"Omega is right."
-Jeff Karrde, March 18, 2001 08:47 PM

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Deus Ex" is pronounced the same as the first two words of the common phrase "deus ex machina" (because they're rather equal, you see). If you've never heard the phrase "deus ex machina"... well, I'm afraid I can't help you. Read more.

------------------
"Although, from what I understand, having travelled around the Mid-west quite a bit, apparently Jesus is coming, so I guess the choice now is we should decide whether we should spit or swallow."
-Maynard James Keenan

[This message has been edited by TSN (edited April 25, 2001).]

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aaah, Deus Ex Machina. When a script writer lacks an ending of a play, that will leave many things unsolved, he inserts a representation of god that comes in and ties up all loose ends. At least, that's how I've heard it.
Like a policeman in the end of a movie, dragging the bad guy. "We caught him trying to flee, now you can get married", he says, relieving the main characters of having to do the dirty work. He also starts counting up all the things that has happened and how they matter to the plot. Tada!

------------------
Don't kill me, I'm charming!

[This message has been edited by Nimrod (edited April 25, 2001).]

Orion Syndicate
He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy!
Member # 25

- posted      Profile for Orion Syndicate     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It seems that the topic has moved on again, but to answer some of the questions relating to my post.

Tom: I don't think you're stupid for supporting anti-tobacco litigation, just misguided. If you were a 60 a day smoker and contracted cancer and then went on to blame the tobacco companies, THEN I'd consider you stupid. Everyone knows that smoking can cause cancer yet people continue to smoke. When they take this action despite the warnings on the packets and intense reporting about the effects in the media, they must be accepting this and taking the risk anyway. If they take the risk and lose, that's their fault, not the tobacco companies. They can't be allowed to profit from their own stupidity or poor judgement.

I know all about the tobacco companies policies about not reducing tar in cigarettes, the weird chemical reactions that make 'light' cigarettes more potent that normal strength ones, targeting children, etc etc. Your use of the car companies not recalling faulty cars is however flawed because if they know full well that the car will blow up and don't tell anyone, then the public can't make an informed choice. The car company is therefore grossly negligent and the chairman and chief executive should be hung up by their balls in full view of the public. People however know about the dangers of smoking, but continue to do so. By doing this, in my opinion, they relinquish any right to compensation if they are dying from their own stupidity.

National governments know all about the actions of tobacco comapnies and yet do nothing. If the elected representatives of nations do nothing, you can't blame companies for looking after their own interests and using any loophole available to them to maximise growth, profits or whatever their corporate aim is. They know cigarettes kill people, and more importantly the smokers themselves know that they're killing themselves by smoking. The blame therefore lies with the smoker.

MIB: That wasn't a reference to any particular situation. It's just what I feel people are doing when they make frivolous claims like this. Their family members die, and they try to profit from it. There are situations like gross negligence on the part of one party when this could be excused, but when the dead person probably dies because of their own stupidity or a mental situation which was always there, the only place any blame can be attributed is with the persons themselves and no-one else.

------------------
The Worlds Ten Greatest 'Fucks' #9

Who let that fucking woman drive? - Captain of Space Shuttle

[This message has been edited by Orion Syndicate (edited April 25, 2001).]

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps