Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » A Concern, Re: Human Cloning (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: A Concern, Re: Human Cloning
Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know, I came in half way through that ep, and I until I saw the first half, I thought the OTHER was the original.

------------------
"How do you define fool?"
"I don't attempt it. I wait for demonstrations. They inevitably surpass my imagination."
- CJ Cherryh, Invader

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Only time I would've come during Trek was when Dax was smooching that other girl. The mere sight of Vidiians would've made me one cold turkey.

------------------
Don't kill me, I'm charming!

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That was just a tad too much info, Turnip-breath

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 8.32 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux (with seven eps posted)
"Oh, yes, screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!"
-Omega 11:48am, Jan. 19th, 2001
"I think this reason why girls don't do well on multiple choice tests goes all the way back to the Bible, all the way back to Genesis, Adam and Eve. God said, 'All right, Eve, multiple choice or multiple orgasms, what's it going to be?' We all know what was chosen" - Rush Limbaugh, Feb. 23, 1994.

Nim
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't be ashamed, Jeff. It's perfectly normal to get a bit drowsy after unit discharge, don't worry about it. *slaps arm on shoulder*

*sniff sniff* Ah, you noticed my new recipe? Sheep's brains and turnip pat�, all squeezed up inside a toothpaste tube. For quick refreshment und energy.
*LeytonSpeak* Calms the nads...

------------------

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Restitutor decrees: You are banished.

------------------
"...he got a mind control car from a great menace named Euri and they began conquest! THE RED MENANCE~ so yuo have too fight back and destroy teh RED TIDE before it destroys the AMERICAN!!! PS: The russiens also took over Texas and thats good becuase Texans need to have robots with missales shoved up there butts anyways (texans are the worst evar)."

-JEFF K.

Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Curry Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wonder. Can they transplant a human mind into a donkeys body? Honestly, it'd be real funny to debate with someone who could only bray about the constitution.

Think on it.

------------------
Re: Russia in WWII

"Hey, we butchered Poles! Thats OK."
- DT.

[This message has been edited by Daryus Aden (edited April 30, 2001).]

Nim
Member # 205

Well, Ultra Pendragon, you may be self-proclaimed turnip monarch, but I am turnip.
Sheathe thy sword, o impatient one.

------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Daryus: Yeah, but it rather takes the fun out of calling someone a jackass, when they are... :-)

------------------
"Although, from what I understand, having travelled around the Mid-west quite a bit, apparently Jesus is coming, so I guess the choice now is we should decide whether we should spit or swallow."
-Maynard James Keenan

The Talented Mr. Gurgeh
Member # 318

- posted      Profile for The Talented Mr. Gurgeh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think that there's anything morally wrong with cloning, the clone is just a person that happens to genetically identical to another person. Because they'll have different experiences from the moment they're born and be completely different to the clone mentally, I don't think it's a big issue. In most respects it is no more unethical than in vitro or any other method of conception where outside intervention is used.

However, I think it's not really necessary, I mean, there are enough (too many, rather) people brought into the world through ordinary methods.

As for re-sequencing the genome, I think it's a good idea, if they can do it properly. We've evolved through blind evolution, a very slow process. At some stage (and I don't think we've quite reached this stage yet) we will be able to alter our evolutionary path without depending on such a crude mechanism as natural selection. The possibilities are endless, I recommend anyone that's interested should read some of Iain M. Banks' ideas in his Culture series. In theory we should be able to eradicate all genetic defects, and increase our resistance to non-genetic disorders, as well as more frivolous stuff like improving orgasms.

However, the difficulties involved here shouldn't be underestimated. Any change made will most probably have knock-on effects in other systems as the whole thing hangs on creating enzymes, which could interfere in the vastly complex systems that already exist in "human-basic" cells. I think it will be quite a while before we have enough knowledge of, and experience with, our genome to start making alterations to it.

------------------
"If you can't beat your computer at chess, try kickboxing."

Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Curry Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tim, truer words were never spoken.

------------------
Re: Russia in WWII

"Hey, we butchered Poles! Thats OK."
- DT.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps