Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » This is totaly BEYOND bullying! (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: This is totaly BEYOND bullying!
Orion Syndicate
He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy!
Member # 25

- posted      Profile for Orion Syndicate     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I took this kind of shit for three years before I just went and twatted the bastard. I've always been a pretty quiet person, (compared to some anyway) and when this guy started picking on me, I just took it, just like those clever teachers tell you when told of how to deal with bullies. Turn the other cheek my arse! (no pun intended). When I did that, it just prompted him to keep going. I've written all this down before, but it has to be said. If bullies respect you and think they have a fight on their hands, most of them won't carry on. The guy who was bullying me was a coward, so stopped when I hit him.

------------------
The Worlds Ten Greatest 'Fucks' #9

Who let that fucking woman drive? - Captain of Space Shuttle

The Talented Mr. Gurgeh
Member # 318

- posted      Profile for The Talented Mr. Gurgeh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Our school rules were pretty clear about one thing: Any student that is seen hitting another student is suspended or expelled.

I used to get a lot of hassle, mostly verbal abuse, from other students. It was my respect for the rules that crippled my ability to defend myself. Although physically I was capable of knocking these bullies out, I didn't want to fight back because I was afraid I'd get suspended. If I'd had a little less respect for the rules and a little more respect for myself, I'd have fought back, and maybe 5 years of my life wouldn't have been such hell.

This is something that parents should realize. Children can be led to believe that they are powerless to stop this, and that they should leave everything to the "authorities" and everything will be alright. This is not the case. If I ever have children they will know that self-respect is something you don't sell out on.

------------------
"If you can't beat your computer at chess, try kickboxing."

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aah, upbringing. Open-and-shut case.
I don't want to be a father that helps my kids all the time so they don't learn their own value and power.
But I'm afraid of becoming too hard instead, making them lose self determination and goals just the same.

------------------
Don't kill me, I'm charming!

Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Curry Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
True. However I'll give you my example. When I was 5-6 (can't remember exactly) there was a fat kid in our apartment block who used to pick on me. I was a very small kid. Anyhoo my parents consulted his parents who blew it off. It was at that point that my father decided that some karate may be a good idea. He grounded me in the basics of some very nasty painful things one 5 year old can do to another. (You'd be surprised how much a foot stomp hurts when you are 5). Anyhow I've never forgotten those 3-4 things he showed me. Even after being an exponent in a different style of karate for 6 years myself, those first lessons stick. Needless to say I sought out the kid on the same day and hurt him bad enough so he never said boo to me again. His two friends were next.

I think that was when I learned not to take shit. But I have to wonder if that decision to show me how to hurt someone could have backfired if I'd taken to going after people. I dunno is his choice was good or bad, but it helped to set my track for later life.

------------------
Re: Russia in WWII

"Hey, we butchered Poles! Thats OK."
- DT.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I took Tae Kwon Do for two years when I was in high school -- got myself up to a green belt, too. Master Jang was quite clear in making it clear that if any of us "misused" what he taught us, he'd personally kick us about the studio for a few days.

Tae Kwon Do -- I can't speak for the other martial arts, as this is the only one I took -- is very big on self-discipline, when to (and when not to) use the skills, and I plan on enrolling my children in a TKD program (once I have them, of course. Children, not a TKD program).

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 8.32 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux (with seven eps posted)
"Oh, yes, screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!"
-Omega 11:48am, Jan. 19th, 2001
"I think this reason why girls don't do well on multiple choice tests goes all the way back to the Bible, all the way back to Genesis, Adam and Eve. God said, 'All right, Eve, multiple choice or multiple orgasms, what's it going to be?' We all know what was chosen" - Rush Limbaugh, Feb. 23, 1994.

MC Infinity
Member # 531

- posted      Profile for MC Infinity     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I myself have been a target up until 15. This was changed by a massive growth spurt. I ended up being a hella'(cartman's word ) bigger than everyone that gave me shite. Although people still mumble out the occasional insult, I just crack my knuckles and ask them what they said, so far the one and only anwser has been: oh, nothing, I was just talking to myself like the loser I am.
To which my reply is: that's what I thought, carry on.

------------------
"Well if it's gonna be that kind of a party, I'm putting my dick in the mashed potatoes!"

-Nimrod 16/4/2001

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
JeffK: My former Dojo used to have two classes training at each side of the big floor.
One was Karate, the other Tae Kwon Do. Sometimes they decided to spar, to see who's best.
They were incompatible, as the TKD'ers used far too exposed guards and overused their feet, giving the more fist-trained karatekas chances to push their kicks away and go into their gut and face.
Against eachother, the TKD'ers didn't have the same problem.
Just an observation.

Infinity: Good for you. (sarcasm-free)

------------------
Don't kill me, I'm charming!

Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Curry Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What I've observed with TKD over the last few years is that its turned from a martial art into a point fighting sport due to the olympics. Whilst there are still traditional combat based dojangs (korean word) out there they seem to be few and far between. Karate is starting to suffer from the olympic syndrome but the association I train in is very real-combat based. Our regional chief is an south african ex-army/police/stuff. He develops the trains the british SAS in their hand/hand and non-weapons combat. We get the same stuff. I have faith in what I've been taught, but the biggest lesson I've learned is that its always better to avoid a fight, as you never know what will happen if you get into one. The longer you train, the more you realise just how little you know.

http://www.kimura-shukokai.com

That's a link to another division within the world shukokai union. I'm currently developing our divisions site...but these things take time .
------------------

- DT.

[This message has been edited by Daryus Aden (edited May 01, 2001).]

MC Infinity
Member # 531

- posted      Profile for MC Infinity     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Our sensei is from Yugoslavia, and he is pretty much what your regular dictator is like, doesn't take crap from anyone, tolerates nothing in his dojo, and actually swears and hits people that are being dumbasses. But on the other hand that has resulted in our dojo totally creaming the rest whenever a competition comes by. We all train very hard, and when he asks us if we're tired, the people that say no have to do fifty pushups because they are not tired, while the others have to do them because they are out of shape.(it is almost a rhetorical question because no matter what happens you still do a lot of pushups)
His theory is that only the best is tolerated, and if you're not giving your best he's gonna force it out of you(may not appeal to the average person cuz the average person is very lazy, but if you do the work and don't complain you'll see that he is a nice person deep down.)
The whole thing is lined with medals(literally, there is a line of medals on every wall) and the trophies are lined up on the glass viewing toward outside and there is hundreds of them.

------------------
"Well if it's gonna be that kind of a party, I'm putting my dick in the mashed potatoes!"

-Nimrod 16/4/2001

[This message has been edited by infinity11 (edited May 01, 2001).]

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But is he happy?

------------------
You know, when Comedy Central asked us to do a Thanksgiving episode, the first thought that went through my mind was, "Boy, I'd like to have sex with Jennifer Aniston."
-Trey Parker, co-creator of South Park

Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

He sounds like a bad leader, IMHO.

------------------

- DT.

Teelie
Member # 280

- posted      Profile for Teelie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds like a bad leader to me too- like the bad guy in the Karate Kid.

------------------

Eclipse
Member # 472

- posted      Profile for Eclipse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I took up Aikido when I came to Uni and found it a very worthwhile undertaking. One point is that you have to guage your response to the opponent's attack: if he doesn't go in totally committed but you're going full-whack killing mode, you're going to kill him, which is not what you want (most days).

That's all I'm going to say on the martial arts issue. I won't get into any slanging matches about which is best. Some value fleet-footedness, some grounding. Some take the fight to the enemy, some use his energy against him. But what I will say is that any 'art' that teaches its practicioners to go 100% regardless of how they are attacked will land its memebers in jail. Sure, you've got to be 100% committed to winning, but you've got to vary the force you use, or else it's like using a nuke to kill an ant.

Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

That is a very tenuous analogy, due to the fact that a martial art is a bunch of techniques. The individual, their mindset and the unique attributes of the conflict at hand will dictate to a large extent what will happen in a fight. Just because you study a martial art, you cannot guarantee victory. That kind of attitude will get you into trouble real quick.

------------------

- DT.

MC Infinity
Member # 531

No, he's not a bad guy, he just expects a lot from people, he'd never tell someone to break another guys leg just to win, honour is very important to him. He's just one of those people that are kinda hard on you, but they teach you really good and you have some real skills after that. There are only 3 black belts in our club, but those 3 people are beyond amazing, their skills are unbeleivable, they can be trully proud of it, a lot of people have quit, but the ones that stay are the best of the best.

------------------

-Nimrod 16/4/2001

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps