Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Why the hell is it so hard to fix this energy crises? (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Why the hell is it so hard to fix this energy crises?
Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Drilling in ANWR isn't neccessary.

Necessary? No. Good? Yes, as we've shown.

it is my argument that we are on the cusp of a post oil age

You have an argument? Please, post it. 'Cause all we have right now are a series of disjointed statements. You want to stop using oil? Fine. Show me a reasonable alternative.

And PLEASE stop beating the dead horse of government regulations being the cause for everything including the Lindberg kidnapping.

We'll stop stating our proof that government regulations are screwing up the economy as soon as you either accept it as truth or show a flaw in our reasoning. Government interference IS the cause of this crisis, to a large degree, as it has been with every major economic crisis since the beginning of the century. Accept it and move on, or deny it and be humiliated.

Since you Fo2, talk about my ancestral homeland of Pennsylvania, you must realize that the major reason for Pittsburg cleaning up the air is the fact that the steel industry died in that region.

Oh, my, your ancestral homeland! Your geneticly stored knowledge of the past must be far more relevant than Rob's extensive knowledge of present conditions! I take it all back.

------------------
"How do you define fool?"
"I don't attempt it. I wait for demonstrations. They inevitably surpass my imagination."
- CJ Cherryh, Invader

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Oh, my, your ancestral homeland! Your geneticly stored knowledge of the past must be far more relevant than Rob's extensive knowledge of present conditions! I take it all back.

My, my. This from the whiney bastard who decries personal attacks.

------------------
I'll kill you, you bloated museum of treachery!
~ C. Montgomery Burns

Omega
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How did I attack your person? I simply attacked your implication that you know more about conditions in PA than a current, well informed resident does, just because it's your "ancestral homeland".

------------------
"I don't attempt it. I wait for demonstrations. They inevitably surpass my imagination."
- CJ Cherryh, Invader

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you had the rhetorical skills you claim to posess, you would understand that a reference to my family being from Pennsylvania in no way eliminates the fact that the steel industry moved out of the area and so did the bad air.

Your sarcastic harangue:

quote:
Your geneticly stored knowledge of the past must be far more relevant than Rob's extensive knowledge of present conditions!

Is an imbecilic and childish thing to say. It may suprise you to know, that I do get to hear some things about that place in the world from family still back there and that I read about goings on too and that I do not rely on innate knowledge. Further it attacks the fact that I do know something of the world in which I live while at the same time making yourself look foolish.

Your poorly drawn thoughts and illogical conculsions drawn from little or no thinking about the situation is evidence of the fact that you would rather say something pithy rather than something relevant.

------------------
I'll kill you, you bloated museum of treachery!
~ C. Montgomery Burns

[This message has been edited by Jay (edited May 26, 2001).]

Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Curry Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks to me like Jay is beating Omega over the head with a large wet kipper.

On a side note, did you ever realise (Ommey dear) that a problem with increasing the supply of non-renewable resources is that they will run out even faster.

And destroy the environment. (Oil, coal etc).

Now you tell me, is it smart to increase your dependence on something that is going to run out in the forseeable future and damage your enviroment at the same time? Nyet Comrade. It is not. Bush's 'idea' is imbecilic.

------------------
Re: Russia in WWII

"Hey, we butchered Poles! Thats OK."
- DT.

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The bad air went away years before the steel did.

Of course, the reason that the steel industry dried up is... survey says?

Cheap steel from China!
Where the foundries are four times as dirty as they are here! And where steel is much cheaper to make, because nobody has to pay the costs of keeping the process clean! Because China cares far less about the environment, and doesn't regulate their pollution at ALL!

Because despite the amounts of CO2 and other waste that the US puts out, any pure productivity vs. pollution comparison would show that we're already the cleanest country on Earth!

See, CO2 is produced by ANY human activity. The amount of CO2 your country generates is a sign of its economic activity and production, not just pollution by the big, bad corporations.

>"The biodiversity that exists in Pennsylvania is not the same biodiversity that used to exist in California and off it's coast... nor is it the same that exists in Alaska...nor is the same that used to exist places where big oil has been." (Yeah, there's MORE Caribou now.)

Nor is it the same as existed before the White man came, before Indians came, before the Ice Age, or before the Continents drifted. This is what we call 'non-story.' Things chance, especially when a new dominant species moves in. Especially when that species is capable of modifying its environment to suit its interests. It ain't the end of the world.

------------------
The government that seems the most unwise, oft goodness to the people best supplies. That which is meddling, touching everything, will work but ill, and disappointment bring. - The Tao Te Ching

[This message has been edited by First of Two (edited May 26, 2001).]

Omega
Member # 91

did you ever realise (Ommey dear) that a problem with increasing the supply of non-renewable resources is that they will run out even faster.

Oh, my, they'll run out in 375 years instead of 400 years. You're right, that's horrible.

I fully expect someone to have developed a reasonable alternative by them, don't you?

And destroy the environment.

*L*

Riiiight...

If the worst polution we can spit out barely makes LA unpleasant, and some good restructuring can clean even that up, as shown by Pittsburgh, I'm not too worried about the environment.

Now you tell me, is it smart to increase your dependence on something that is going to run out in the forseeable future

The sun's going to contract into a white dwarf in the forseeable future. Guess we should ditch solar power, huh?

and damage your enviroment at the same time?

The environmental damage is minimal and reversable.

It is not.

Then give me a better alternative. Yeah, we need someone in the private sector to come up with a better power supply, but until then, we're dependant upon the one we have, so we need it to be as abundantly available as possible.

I'm surprised at you, friend. You're not thinking things through. You don't ditch one necessity until you have something with which to replace it. You're suggesting that we allow our supply to dwindle BEFORE we have a viable replacement, and for what reason? To prevent some minor environmental damage?

------------------
- CJ Cherryh, Invader

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

quote:
If the worst polution we can spit out barely makes LA unpleasant...

Years ago, before those damnable tree huggers began to make a dent, the air was downright unhealthy. Don't suppose you were up on that since it takes time away from being smug.

As for the oft mentioned private sector, I for one am quite glad that there has never been any government sponsored programs that has helped advance technology or medicine or any of that stuff that we as a civilization can make use of collectivly. Cause that might just burst someone's little theoretical baloon. Gads.

--------------------
Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war.
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

You're just babbling incoherently.
~C. Montgomery Burns

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"The sun's going to contract into a white dwarf in the forseeable future."

Not that I want to restart that old chestnut, but this is a strange rhetorical device for you to use, Omega, when you have in the past denied that scientists know anything at all about the sun.

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Proving contradictions don't affect Omegas. They must be held down and turnipped somewhat.
*exhales* Yep, "bite the pillow, boy" as my kindergarten teacher always said.
Of course, this is just a theory.

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Omega
Member # 91

Forgive me, I should have said that Daryus BELIEVES that the sun will contract to a white dwarf. We don't really KNOW anything about the sun, we simply infer. But for the sake of argument? It doesn't detract from the point I was making.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"It's only arrogance if you're wrong."

Do you remember making that statement? Well, are you still standing by that?

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Omega
Member # 91

Yep. Yep. How is it relevant?

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow. In one thread, I have been pleasently surprised my Omega's largely sensible and well-spoken arguments. In another, I see him walking around in circles, shouting at headless chickens that they're wrong about their imminent deaths.

Fascinating.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's no fair! Everybody argues with Omega! Nobody argues with me! *pouts*

Is it because I'm not smug? I can fix that...

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps