Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Bible and contradictions

Author Topic: Bible and contradictions
colin
Member # 217

- posted      Profile for colin         Edit/Delete Post 
There are contradictions in the Bible (Tanach) for the works were transmitted from this generation to that generation for hundreds of years. Errors were inevitable. And there were words that whose translation proved difficult for various reasons. Someday, at a later time, I will give a list.

Personnally, I don't think these threads are successful for we are not they and we don't have the ability to ask the author or authors their reasonings.

The Talmud, which is the oral transmitted teachings of the Jews written down (Mishnah) and given commentary (Gemara), are the closest that we have as a people to the reasonings of the author or authors of the Tanach. (The Christians didn't attempt to write the underlying reasons, from the original author or authors' viewpoints, for these individual works for many decades or centuries after the Talmud. And at that time in their history, the Christians were a separate religion from Judaism with a political and social agenda.)

And this doesn't help in all cases for the different Rabbis and Ravs could divine many interpretations from a single verse or set of verses. And a few of the words of the Tanach were impossible for these later scholars to comprehend.

Speaking at a different note, I find that when people attempt to comprehend the Tanach, they dismiss the Talmud. The Talmud is as important, perhaps more important then the Tanach, in that we can glean an understanding of Jesus and the larger community of Jews' world from the Rise of the Second Temple to the Fall of the Roman Empire.

[ May 31, 2001: Message edited by: targetemployee ]

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
te: If these threads are so unsuccessful, why start a new one when we've already had more of them than Abraham had kids. (Yes, that was an awful biblical joke. Send tomatoes via private messaging)

Anyway, seeing as this thread serves less of a purpose than a Biblical woman (there I go again! I have a future in Christian stand-up), I shall be confining it in adamantine chains.

*Tom him hurls thread headlong down*

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Topic Closed  Topic Closed
Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps