Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » But Ma, I wanna go fishing!!!!! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: But Ma, I wanna go fishing!!!!!
Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always thought that PETA was fighting for a good cause. But this is rediculous:

http://www.peta-online.org/alert/00/336.html

That's not all, more PETA fun at The Onion.

http://www.theonion.com/onion3110/petacommandos.html

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

MIB
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh for crying out loud! LOL I'm all for saving the endangered Chinese panda, but this is totally f**ked up! LOL I love the PETA commandos article.
IP: Logged
MC Infinity
Member # 531

- posted      Profile for MC Infinity     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You think that's messed, try this on for size:
http://www.peta-online.org/alert/00/319.html
Allow me to summarize, kid kicks dog, dog bites kid, father of kid kills dog, PETA urges people to write letter to thank the state attourney for persecuting the father of the child.
I agree that drowning the dog is a cruel thing to do, but if it attacks a human once, it will inevitably do it again, and should have been killed anyways, but maybe by lethal injection or something less painfull. However, since it is his own dog that attacked his own kid, I feel that the decision should be left to him. If a dog bit your kid what would you do?

--------------------
Me- Hi Jen! What's up!
Jen- You again??!?! Listen kid, I'm not interested in you. Stop bothering me, I'm a lot older than you and I have a boyfriend. How did you find my ICQ number anyways?
Me- Oh, so just cuz you're a movie star now, and you're new album made millions, you think you're too good for me?
Jen- Yes!!! Get it thorough your head! I am a person, I am not Jennifer Lopez the hottest woman on earth that everyone wants to sleep with, I'm a person, leave me alone!!!
Me- Fine! Be that way!
Me- Jen.... Where'd you go.... I love you... please come back.... please....

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1. The Scout Law does NOT say what PETA says it does in its article about the fishing merit badge.

Not only that, but the Scouts are supposed to EAT the fish they catch... of course, PETA wants us all to subsist on tofu and bean sprouts.

2. I disagree with Infinity that the dog should have been killed or was a likely candidate to attack another human.

The dog was simply defending itself against an unwarranted, brutal attack (ever been kicked? it HURTS!) by the ONLY means it had available. The guy should have taught his kid not to kick animals.

Despite what the gun-grabbers tell you (PLEASE, It's NOT my intention to turn this into a gun thread, it's just the best comparison that came to mind!), people (or animals) that defend themselves ONCE do NOT suddenly become violent homicidal killers.

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Infinity: By that reasoning, the kid attacked the dog, so he'll "inevitably do it again", and therefore the kid should be killed, too.

As for the fishing thing, if it's for food, shouldn't they have a cattle-slaughtering badge, or something, too? :-)

MC Infinity
Member # 531

- posted      Profile for MC Infinity     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think you need to consider that there is a big difference between human beings and animals. An animal has no higher reasoning capacity. Therefore if an animal attacks a human, that animal is a danger to society. Instead of putting it in jail, we put it to sleep, little difference in most of the world (and no difference in some american states )

Again I ask, if your dog bit your kid, would you not have it putten to sleep?

--------------------
Me- Hi Jen! What's up!
Jen- You again??!?! Listen kid, I'm not interested in you. Stop bothering me, I'm a lot older than you and I have a boyfriend. How did you find my ICQ number anyways?
Me- Oh, so just cuz you're a movie star now, and you're new album made millions, you think you're too good for me?
Jen- Yes!!! Get it thorough your head! I am a person, I am not Jennifer Lopez the hottest woman on earth that everyone wants to sleep with, I'm a person, leave me alone!!!
Me- Fine! Be that way!

MIB
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That depends. Was my kid kicking the dog. Or pulling it's tail. Or throwing stuff at it?
IP: Logged
Daniel
Member # 453

- posted      Profile for Daniel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Huh. This is why I am against the law banning ferrets from NYC. Dog bites can be much more dangerous than ferret bites, and yet they refuse to ban DOGS from New York. What sort of twisted logic does that wonderous mayor of the city support anyway?

Note: I am, however, a ferret owner, so, this may be biased.

--------------------
"A celibate clergy is an especially good idea because it tends to suppress any hereditary propensity toward fanaticism."

-Eleanor Arroway, "Contact" by Carl Sagan

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
These Forums even have a ferret for a moderator. Seriously.
Daniel
Member # 453

- posted      Profile for Daniel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Really?! Where?!

--------------------
"A celibate clergy is an especially good idea because it tends to suppress any hereditary propensity toward fanaticism."

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He's Basil, the DS9 Archived Forum. A ferret got a mod job over me.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

Daniel
Member # 453

Cool! Another victory for ferrets in animal rights! Ferret suffragists unite! VOTES FOR FERRETS!! *ahem* Sorry.

[ June 02, 2001: Message edited by: Daniel ]

--------------------

Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you try to contact the local PETA office in Alaska, you'll get the delightful people known as "People Eating Tasty Animals." Apparently, the acronym was taken before the PETA we know got in.

--------------------
The Legend of Jeff Raven: As told by himself

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pit bulls should be exterminated.

Ok, maybe not. But, they are a problem here in Baltimore -- stupid pit bull owners let their dogs run around free, then get all pissy when the city government kills their animals after they attack people (er -- after the pit bull attacks people, not after the city government attacks people).

There was an attack last night, actually -- two pit bulls against an old lady walking home with groceries. Thankfully, she wasn't injured too badly, and was out of the hospital by last night, but damn the city government for not passing an ordinance to ban pit bulls (they decided against passing this last week, BTW).

If people are going to own dangerous pets (including, but not limited to: lions, tigers, bears, pit bulls, other agressive dogs, grasshoppers, Fundamentalists, etc.), they really need to take a "common sense" course. You know: keep your pet CHAINED or behind a FENCE at all times! If caught loose on the street, your pet will recieve (absolutely free) a faceful of Baltimore PD issue shotgun pellets.

[ June 04, 2001: Message edited by: Jeff Kardde ]

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

MC Infinity
Member # 531

Damned Fundamentalists!!! They keep biting the tires on my Chrysler!!

--------------------
Me- Hi Jen! What's up!
Me- Fine! Be that way!

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps