Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Lots and lots and lots and lots of MONEY!!

Author Topic: Lots and lots and lots and lots of MONEY!!
BlueElectron
Member # 281

- posted      Profile for BlueElectron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://home-news.excite.ca/news/ap/010606/23/news-tobacco-trial

Dude's life worth abotu 3 billions!!

THREE BILLIONS!!!!!!!!

The Econ. students in my university worked out that each life is worth about 2 millions

--------------------
"George Washington said, 'I cannot tell a lie.'
Richard Nixon said, 'I cannot tell the truth.'
Bill Clinton said, 'I cannot tell the difference.'"

-- comedian TOM SMOTHERS, from his latest stage act with brother DICK SMOTHERS.

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I think it's a fairly broadly-accepted tenet of philosophy that it's impossible to put any dollar value on human life.

In the cases of tobacco lawsuits, punitive damages are assessed, which have more to do with the degree of damage a judge feels is appropriate to inflict on the company rather than what Joe Smoker's life is materially worth.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Any time I smell cigarette smoke, I cough. That's uncomfortable. I never know when I might be unexpectedly subjected to such a situation. I think the tobacco companies should pay me billions of dollars, to compensate for my living in constant fear of unwanted pulmonary assault by their products.

I could never possibly win that case in court. And yet, people who use those products to harm themselves through their own stupidity get all that. Have they imposed a maximum IQ of 100 or so on jury selections, or what?

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When tabacco companies use substances to increase the possibility of adicting someone to their product ... it ceases to be as simple as someone's own actions and becomes, "wait -- you were willing to get someone addicted to this substance -- despite the risk to their health -- to get yourself a steady customer?"

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Daniel
Member # 453

- posted      Profile for Daniel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I suppose the Peeps company should start watching out for lawsuits against their use of sugar to sweeten their product then, huh?

[ June 07, 2001: Message edited by: Daniel ]

--------------------
"A celibate clergy is an especially good idea because it tends to suppress any hereditary propensity toward fanaticism."

-Eleanor Arroway, "Contact" by Carl Sagan

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not saying the tobacco companies shouldn't be punished. Just that the other people shouldn't be rewarded. Rather than taking three billion dollars away from Philip Morris and giving it to some smoker, take three billion dollars away from Philip Morris and give it to some cancer research facility, or something.
Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Course that begs the curious question.
How much of that several million DOES the smoker-victim get, and how much goes to the lawyers?

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
'it ceases to be as simple as someone's own actions and becomes, "wait -- you were willing to get someone addicted to this substance -- despite the risk to their health -- to get yourself a steady customer?"'

Yes. How dare they trick people by keeping the addictive nature of smoking a secret. The people who took it up had no idea. They thought smoking = healthy fun.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps