Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » "The USA shouldn't have said this." (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: "The USA shouldn't have said this."
colin
Member # 217

- posted      Profile for colin         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In a brief news item for July 22, which has subsequently disappeared, the reporter on Headline News-CNN reported that the White House issued a statement. The US will not sign the anti-biological weapons treaty which 130 nations have signed to. The reason-goes against the business interests of our country.
Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HEck, just add it to the growing list of things Dubya has said that make the U.S. look stupid.

--------------------
Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war.
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

You're just babbling incoherently.
~C. Montgomery Burns

colin
Member # 217

The USA is not shown as stupid. The USA is shown to be arrogant, above the law, and responsible for the sale and distribution of dangerous, toxic chemicals. And, to render the situation even worse, Pres. Bush didn't issue this statement. The White House did. If Pres. Bush had spoken these words, I and others could shrug these words as mis-construed by an individual. With the White House issueing this statement, the US government is speaking.

[ July 22, 2001: Message edited by: targetemployee ]

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, "the White House" won't ratify the international anti-personnel mine ban either, for similar reasons. At least Dubya's showing a streak of consistency this time.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

colin
Member # 217

The White House will not sign:
1. The Kyoto Treaty
2. The anti-biological treaty
3. The anti-mine treaty
4. The human rights tribunal ratification

Yes, there is consistency.

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To hell with people, as long as big business is able to wipe out this country why worry???
MIB
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*sigh* Can I bust out my good revolt-against-the-government boots yet?
IP: Logged
Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WARNING:

The Anti-Mine and the Human Rights Ratification were not signed around the time CLINTON was in office. Now I don't know why this occurred, but expect Omega to jump in and blame Clinton.

Also expect Omega to say that with regards to Kyoto, the US would be doing the right thing as there are many other countries that need to clean up their pollution before the US does (read, CHINA, why would we have to hurt our own economy when China doesn't do diddly squat?). With regards to the Anti-Biological industry, Omega will probably agree with Bush word-for-word, even though it does not make sense.

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This country can and should reject all treaties that try to dictate internal US policy. Treaties are designed to work BETWEEN countries, not within them. Tell me: if Japan wants these pollution standards implemented so badly, then why doesn't it just implement them? It's internal policy, isn't it? They can just pass a law. As can we. It reminds me of these silly people who want tax hikes passed. If you want the government to do something harmful to you, personally, for what you believe to be the greater good, then just do it yourself! No one's stopping you from sending money to the government, nor is anyone stopping these other countries from implementing the protocols of the Kyoto accords themselves.

Our circumstances are different from every other country on earth, as can be said about ANY country, and we can and will decide what's best for US. What you want is just another layer of people who don't know the situation, trying to make laws about it. Well, generalization DOESN'T WORK. That's why we have local governments in the first place: so people who actually know what they're talking and legislating about are the ones making the laws.

[ July 23, 2001: Message edited by: Omega ]

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's a bright big world we live in there Reactionary Boy, Republican Hero. And we are not alone in it.

--------------------
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

~C. Montgomery Burns

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Irrelevant. The United States government exists to serve the people of the United States, not the people of Bulgaria.

And seeing as you didn't actually respond to anything I said, do you have anything USEFUL to say?

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I might note that there ARE Americans from Bulgaria who would feel rather strongly about the state of Bulgaria.
I might note that US policy in Israel is heavily affected by American Jews...

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"And seeing as you didn't actually respond to anything I said, do you have anything USEFUL to say?"

You know, I could point out that the original point was about the US not signing the "anti-biological weapons treaty", and you deceided to post about the Kyoto accords and blabber on about the envornment.

"If you want the government to do something harmful to you, personally, for what you believe to be the greater good, then just do it yourself!"

Because, obviously, the general public are the ones responsible for the design and implementation of biological weapons.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

ALL I'm going to SAY is that I'M thinking about STARTING an online petition AGAINST every other WORD being ALL CAPS in various people's SHALLOW me first and SCREW the rest of THE world POSTS.

Things that the rest of the world does affect the way the United States lives and breathes. It is plain to see, other than for Reactionary Boy, Repubican Hero, that at some point any treaty is going to affect the internal policy of a given country. Why else would there be a treaty in the first place.

--------------------
~ohn Adams

~Brad DeLong

~C. Montgomery Burns

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's a great thing that pollutants from American factories stop and turn around when they reach the 49th parallel. If they kept on going the business interests of America might come in conflict with the wishes of the rest of the world.

It's also great that every landmine manufactured in America is laid on the outskirts of the Ohio Demilitarized zone and around the rebel strongholds in Nevada. After all, their manufacture provides employment to thousands of honest blue-collar Americans in the munitions industry and it doesn't affect anyone outside the good ol' U.S. of A.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps